Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Weighing In...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Weighing In...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-17, 09:36 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Weighing In...

On a ride home back in the early '90s I stopped at a bike shop. While waiting my turn I saw a hanging scale with a hook. I weighed my 1987 Schwinn Cruiser Supreme with fenders, back rack and 2 full water bottles...48lbs. That was the last time I actually weighed a bike.

So yesterday I grabbed the bathroom scale and weighed my bikes by holding them on the scale then subtracting my own weight. I did each weighing three times (inluding myself alone) and took the average (although the widest deviation was only 2lbs). I knew my 1997 Nishiki Blazer was 31lbs when I bought it, but over the years it has accumulated a surprising ammount of "gravitas".

I've attached the results as a jpg, but here's the summary.
Each bike plus one water bottle, accessories, including locks, saddle bag and contents.

1997 Nishiki Blazer 49.5 lbs
1984 Nishiki International 32 lbs
2015 Charge Plug 39 lbs

I weighed my backpack with office clothes, night-time lights, additional tools, rain gear, and other accesories and it was lighter than I though at "only" 12lbs. With summer bike clothes, helmet and helmet cam I am 195 lbs.

So the total summer rolling weights are:

1997 Nishiki Blazer 256 lbs
1984 Nishiki International 239 lbs
2015 Charge Plug 246 lbs

In the winter I would carry and wear extra gloves and layers and heavier office clothes so that would add a few pounds to the mix. And if there is snow or ice, then my only choice is the Blazer which gets studded Suomi/Nokian winter tires.

My commute is 9 miles each way with the office being about 450 ft lower than home. And each route and variation has some big hills. I keep all bikes lubed and free-wheeling. The only bike that ever feels heavy is the Blazer, and that's only the steepest of hills. However the Blazer has the lowest gearing and the longest cranks, so I can just sit upright and easily "spin" my way up any hill. The Blazer also has the highest gearing and aero bars, so down hill and on the flats it is also the fastest bike for short stretches.

My 9 mile commute in takes about 40 minutes depending on route. Home (uphill) takes about 48 minutes. My average ride times on each bike are within 5 minutes of each other and often overlap depending on traffic, weather and how I feel. Average speeds are within a mile an hour of each other and often overlap depending on traffic, weather and how I feel.

My main goal for bike commuting has been general fitness, so I figured any extra weight contributed towards a better workout. And after 25 years of serious bike commuting I have found that any weight added for comfort, convenience or utility has been worth it.

At 55, I'm fit and healthy enough to enjoy life and be there for my family...so I consider my bike commuting a success.

It is also worth mentioning the part that the bikeforums community has played in this success. The shared knowledge and encouragement transformed my cycling making it better, more economical, smarter and safer than I could ever have done on my own.

Thank you everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bikes and weights crop.jpg (90.8 KB, 365 views)
14923664335050 (1).jpg (96.4 KB, 365 views)
whitewalls.jpg (100.0 KB, 362 views)
0821150733bc.jpg (98.3 KB, 361 views)

Last edited by BobbyG; 08-06-17 at 09:40 AM.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-09-17, 11:51 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Weight doesn't hurt us on commutes but ... 12 pounds for your bag and clothes you must be serious about the extra tools in there. I've been there though - I have to dump my bags and packs out every once in awhile else stuff just accumulates there.
Old 08-09-17, 12:59 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I haven't weighed my items separately, but fully loaded with trunk bag my Tri-Cross is tipping the scales at 35 lbs. I don't mind the weight because I ride for fitness and it just makes me stronger. However, its a joy to ride my other bike which is only 20 lbs. It's an amazing difference when you can drop 15 lbs instantly.

-Shin
Old 08-09-17, 01:56 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
So yesterday I grabbed the bathroom scale and weighed my bikes by holding them on the scale then subtracting my own weight. I did each weighing three times (inluding myself alone) and took the average (although the widest deviation was only 2lbs). I knew my 1997 Nishiki Blazer was 31lbs when I bought it, but over the years it has accumulated a surprising ammount of "gravitas".
I am going to have to try that bathroom scale trick.

Originally Posted by wphamilton
Weight doesn't hurt us on commutes but ... 12 pounds for your bag and clothes you must be serious about the extra tools in there. I've been there though - I have to dump my bags and packs out every once in awhile else stuff just accumulates there.
My bag weighs about 13 pounds and the only tools in it are a teeny little pump (smaller than the flashlight), a 15mm wrench, a very light flashlight, a pen gauge, 3 AAA batteries for the lights, an extra tube and a 3 oz bottle of oil. The empty bag weight is 2 pounds, and when you add clothes, spare 1 quart water bottle, cases for both the sunglasses and the regular glasses, basic toiletries, wallet, emergency meal (two 2oz packets of tuna, disposable fork, three packets of peppermint tea), bike lock, hand towel, two day supply of medicine, cell phone charger and a punk rocker tribble, that all adds up.
Old 08-09-17, 02:04 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by rachel120

My bag weighs about 13 pounds and the only tools in it are a teeny little pump (smaller than the flashlight), a 15mm wrench, a very light flashlight, a pen gauge, 3 AAA batteries for the lights, an extra tube and a 3 oz bottle of oil. The empty bag weight is 2 pounds, and when you add clothes, spare 1 quart water bottle, cases for both the sunglasses and the regular glasses, basic toiletries, wallet, emergency meal (two 2oz packets of tuna, disposable fork, three packets of peppermint tea), bike lock, hand towel, two day supply of medicine, cell phone charger and a punk rocker tribble, that all adds up.
Not for me, my bag with a change is 3.5 -4 pounds and the heaviest tool kit is 1.25. I don't carry any of that other stuff on commutes however. Unless I count a micro-fiber towel and 1 oz bottle of shampoo under "toiletries" but that weighs nothing.

Different approaches work for everyone, but that's a lot of spare weight.
Old 08-09-17, 02:14 PM
rachel120

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not for me, my bag with a change is 3.5 -4 pounds and the heaviest tool kit is 1.25. I don't carry any of that other stuff on commutes however. Unless I count a micro-fiber towel and 1 oz bottle of shampoo under "toiletries" but that weighs nothing.

Different approaches work for everyone, but that's a lot of spare weight.
It is. I used to have more, enough in case I ever had to spend the night elsewhere with no preparation I could, but I've got it bare bones now. Toiletries are very basic, a spare toothbrush, deodorant, a comb and a couple of other very light but urgently needed things. I also took out the tablet though there are times I really regret that, but that was at least a pound, older technology. My work clothes include a pair of denim pants. Denim weighs a disgustingly heavy amount.
Old 08-09-17, 02:41 PM
wphamilton

It is. I used to have more, enough in case I ever had to spend the night elsewhere with no preparation I could, but I've got it bare bones now. Toiletries are very basic, a spare toothbrush, deodorant, a comb and a couple of other very light but urgently needed things. I also took out the tablet though there are times I really regret that, but that was at least a pound, older technology. My work clothes include a pair of denim pants. Denim weighs a disgustingly heavy amount.
I used to carry a step-pump, half a regular tool kit, emergency clothes including a jacket, sundry other items, so I don't think it's ridiculous. That was back in 2008/09. I'm no weight weenie now, but my style has evolved to the point that if there's no strong reason to have it for the 8 miles itself, I don't carry it. Lock is at work for instance, so are shoes or anything else I can feasibly keep there. Most of my bags are nylon draw-string type, maybe a few ounces. Just shirt slacks undergarments, 3 pounds or so.

To compare with OP's weighing in theme, my commuter rig is a steel fixed gear, fenders lights chain case steel rack.

Bike & accessories about 26 pounds
saddle bag/tools 1.5 pounds
commute bag, stuffed 3.5 pounds
Me in shorts with pocket stuff 152 pounds
total: 183

The road bike, with lighter tools and lighter bag, adds up to 175-178

My full fared rig I haven't weighed in forever, is probably near 40 pounds, total something near 200
Old 08-09-17, 02:51 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

12 pounds for your bag and clothes you must be serious about the extra tools in there. I've been there though - I have to dump my bags and packs out every once in awhile else stuff just accumulates there.
The back pack itself is 3 pounds. It is the heaviest I have owned and I chose it in part for its ruggedness, and after three years it is in better shape than any previous bag over 25 years. I usually get 5 years a bag before tears, etc. The bag is a Swissgear 1696. I just looked in my bag and I think the weight comes from my Niterider headlamp, and helmet lights, plus extra AAA batteries for the helmet lights and the bike blinkies. I guess the only extratools are a leatherman and a pliers, but I do have a spoke wrench and extra cords and chargers for my phone. There are some straps, a coule of glasses cases, deoderant, an small ball cap (I'm bald), lots of bags a towel and spare socks and underwear. There's more stuff to look at. I think if I was prident I could save a couple pounds. The underwear comes in handy a couple times a year when I forget to pack some for the day.
Originally Posted by High Fist Shin
I don't mind the weight because I ride for fitness and it just makes me stronger. However, its a joy to ride my other bike which is only 20 lbs. It's an amazing difference when you can drop 15 lbs instantly.
-Shin
That's my attitude about weight.

The trick is to get all three bikes upstairs into the bathroom. ...just kidding. I took the scale out to the bikes.

Here's a factory shot of my bag. Like Rachel I added reflective strips.
Attached Images
$_58.JPG (44.9 KB, 304 views)
Old 08-09-17, 04:05 PM
rachel120

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The trick is to get all three bikes upstairs into the bathroom. ...just kidding. I took the scale out to the bikes.
Eek! Flashbacks! The only place I could hide my daughter's bike until Christmas morning was in my closet upstairs.

Crazy as it sounds, the website for where I bought the bike says the weight is more than weighing it on the scale showed. It's advertised as 42 pounds. A different website listed the weight as 41.2 pounds. But picking it up and standing on the scale only came to 38 pounds.
Old 08-09-17, 08:29 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Can't you weigh one wheel on the scale at a time and add up the weights?
Old 08-09-17, 10:39 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I don't care about the weight of my bike and my bags anymore... ebike.
Old 08-11-17, 12:36 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Eek! Flashbacks! The only place I could hide my daughter's bike until Christmas morning was in my closet upstairs.

Crazy as it sounds, the website for where I bought the bike says the weight is more than weighing it on the scale showed. It's advertised as 42 pounds. A different website listed the weight as 41.2 pounds. But picking it up and standing on the scale only came to 38 pounds.
Same size?

I remember a thread where people were posting the weights of their daily rides, and wonder what the secret was, until I realized they had 48 - 54 cm bikes, smaller than my 58 - 62 cm ones.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 08-11-17, 12:53 PM
rachel120

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SloButWide
Same size?

I remember a thread where people were posting the weights of their daily rides, and wonder what the secret was, until I realized they had 48 - 54 cm bikes, smaller than my 58 - 62 cm ones.
Yeah, same everything. Make, model, upc code.
Old 01-02-18, 08:42 PM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Here's my break down of weights: All weights are in pounds, big fat American pounds.

Rider - 300 naked, dripping out of the shower.
Bike - 54 - Panamericana, Tout Terrain
Panniers - 80 filled (20 X 4 = 80)
Bar Bag - 11 filled.
Motor - 6 BaFang 750W
Battery - 14 with bag.
Front Rack - 3 (maybe)
Fugoo XL - 6.2 Blue Tooth Speaker
Senz XXL - 1.6 Umbrella
Mirrors - 1
Bell - 0.3
GPS, Phone, Cup holder, camera mounts, Rohloff controls, BaFang controls, brakes, light - more than a pound.
Trailer - 105 filled with camping luxuries.

Total - 582 at full Bike-Camping weight.

Daily riding weight of the bike is about 115 lbs. I ride with only front panniers.
Attached Images
Summer gear.jpg (966.4 KB, 221 views)
modified-rack2.jpg (1.63 MB, 222 views)
arkel (1).jpg (776.5 KB, 222 views)
dsc01390-4.jpg (289.2 KB, 221 views)
Old 01-03-18, 03:44 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by BBassett
Here's my break down of weights: All weights are in pounds, big fat American pounds.

Bar Bag - 11 filled.
Motor - 6 BaFang 750W
Battery - 14 with bag.
Front Rack - 3 (maybe)
Senz XXL - 1.6 Umbrella
Mirrors - 1
Bell - 0.3
GPS, Phone, Cup holder, camera mounts, Rohloff controls, BaFang controls, brakes, light - more than a pound.

Daily riding weight of the bike is about 115 lbs. I ride with only front panniers.
I have to say again that's a nice rig.
Old 01-03-18, 08:16 AM
BobbyG

Bar Bag - 11 filled.
Motor - 6 BaFang 750W
Battery - 14 with bag.
Front Rack - 3 (maybe)
Senz XXL - 1.6 Umbrella
Mirrors - 1
Bell - 0.3

Holy Cats! That is quite the gear!
Old 01-03-18, 09:30 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
wonder if anyone tried inflating tires w helium?
Old 01-03-18, 11:58 AM
BBassett

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
wonder if anyone tried inflating tires w helium?
Not helium but rather nitrogen. Just wish I could find it in the same disposal CO2 cartridges.
Old 01-03-18, 12:00 PM
BBassett

Holy Cats! That is quite the gear!
Thank you, its taken over a year but it is getting there.
Old 01-03-18, 12:11 PM
BBassett

I don't mind the weight because I ride for fitness and it just makes me stronger. However, its a joy to ride my other bike which is only 20 lbs. It's an amazing difference when you can drop 15 lbs instantly.

-Shin
If you want some exercise come ride mine.
Old 01-03-18, 12:56 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
If you want some exercise come ride mine.
Wow. That would probably kill me at my current fitness level. But, I like a challenge. I'd take you up on your offer if we were closer.

-Shin
Old 01-03-18, 01:53 PM
BBassett

Wow. That would probably kill me at my current fitness level. But, I like a challenge. I'd take you up on your offer if we were closer.

-Shin
No, it wouldn't, she has 750w of torque available to give as much assistance as you would want. The problem actually comes in setting the assist low enough that you still get the workout you want. Using minimal assist I have pulled my trailer over 100 using both batteries and some to spare, but I was too smoked to take advantage of it.
Old 01-04-18, 04:44 PM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Holy cow! I toured from Portland to SF with 11 pounds luggage, total.
Old 01-10-18, 07:29 PM
BBassett

Originally Posted by joelcool
Holy cow! I toured from Portland to SF with 11 pounds luggage, total.
Were you comfortable? Sleep well, shower, cook, drink, have a hammock and tent? Get pics and vids every day when you chose? Music, read, clean your clothes? Did you carry any hobbies along with you? People can deal with lack of amenities and harsh conditions, just ask the Puerto Ricans. But why would anyone want to? Hell, they give prisoners a pillow.
Old 01-10-18, 08:38 PM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a great post thanks for sharing. I’m curious now about my own set up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.