Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Waiting at bottom of hill

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Waiting at bottom of hill

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-23, 11:09 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,647 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
The hair might contribute to the "golf ball effect" making him even faster.
Sounds like I need to stop ‘manscaping’ and let my inner Bigfoot fly.

but, i will keep my shirt on.

Last edited by rsbob; 04-05-23 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-05-23, 11:22 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
How, turning the power up? Drafting makes it easy to stick with you. The only "punishing" things I could think of are dangerous, like brake checking them (something I have heard as a suggested way of dealing with wheelsuckers lol)
You don't brake check wheelsuckers. That'll take you down, too. Everybody knows that. You run right up on a trail bollard & duck out of the way at the last instant.

Sheesh, Larry. Amateur hour up in here.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 04-06-23, 07:32 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
You don't brake check wheelsuckers. That'll take you down, too. Everybody knows that. You run right up on a trail bollard & duck out of the way at the last instant.

Sheesh, Larry. Amateur hour up in here.
Is the rear wheel "hook" a completely lost art?
Old 04-06-23, 11:06 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Is the rear wheel "hook" a completely lost art?
I prefer the Team Cinzano maneuver.
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-06-23, 01:16 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Here's a video of a man named Sellers and a hill. I don't think he's racing, though. I'm guessing those are not disc brakes.

Old 04-11-23, 08:04 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Yesterday on my way to work I waited at the bottom of the ~3 minute climb because I wanted a rabbit to chase. Just no fun at all otherwise and I wasn’t in a hurry. Sure enough someone showed up and we raced up the hill, but later I felt kind of obnoxious for waiting for him and then passing.

How would you feel if this happened to you?

I would feel like you were dorky.

EDIT: just pay attention

Last edited by growlerdinky; 04-11-23 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Did I say dorky? I meant totally rad.
Old 04-12-23, 06:45 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
On my ride today I raced and dropped a turkey, a calf and a dog. I was humbled by a couple of horseflies, couldn't drop them until the descent.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-19-23, 08:37 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
I am over 60 years old and usually am riding in a tee-shirt and cut-off shorts on a 1970s ten-speed bike that weight 33 pounds and has 21 teeth on it's largest rear sprocket. I have another one I converted to single-speed which has gearing too high for steep hills and too slow for level ground. So I expect to be passed as most are younger and/or on better machinery for specific road conditions. Even if I had a $10K TT bike I would still expect to be blown off regularly at my age of course.

It is not as much fun being old as it is being young.

But that makes it fun for me to race with other riders who are usually younger and also who are usually on modern equipment, and very often they are wearing all sorts of fancy cycling garb as if they are in the Tour De France or something.

Often these are weekend-warriors who are not in as good a shape as they could be, but maybe they think having an expensive bike and race garb and often aero-bars makes them into something they want to be. That is a fun balloon to pop for them.

If on occasion I can stay with them or drop them and their young bodies and fancy gear, I chalk up a victory. And if it bothers them then they needed some humility etc. anyway.
Old 04-19-23, 08:42 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
I am over 60 years old and usually am riding in a tee-shirt and cut-off shorts on a 1970s ten-speed bike that weight 33 pounds and has 21 teeth on it's largest rear sprocket. I have another one I converted to single-speed which has gearing too high for steep hills and too slow for level ground. ...

But that makes it fun for me to race with other riders who are usually younger and also who are usually on modern equipment, and very often they are wearing all sorts of fancy cycling garb as if they are in the Tour De France or something.

Often these are weekend-warriors who are not in as good a shape as they could be, but maybe they think having an expensive bike and race garb and often aero-bars makes them into something they want to be. That is a fun balloon to pop for them.

If on occasion I can stay with them or drop them and their young bodies and fancy gear, I chalk up a victory. And if it bothers them then they needed some humility etc. anyway.
This is so awesome and can be even more awesome if only you would also wear flip flips and smoke a cigarette (or a blunt) as you blow past these weekend warriors.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-20-23, 05:51 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I would never in a million years think of doing this, and if I ever did I'd slap myself immediately for being so stupid.
Old 04-20-23, 06:22 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
This is so awesome and can be even more awesome if only you would also wear flip flips and smoke a cigarette (or a blunt) as you blow past these weekend warriors.
Yes! Beating down those Lycra kit wearing, fancy bike riding, Lance wannabe poseurs while on the WallyMagma has deep roots on BF! Each additional bottom feeder attribute added increases the fun factor.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-20-23, 06:43 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yes! Beating down those Lycra kit wearing, fancy bike riding, Lance wannabe poseurs while on the WallyMagma has deep roots on BF! Each additional bottom feeder attribute added increases the fun factor.
Hamers droped, and all that.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-20-23, 07:15 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

"I was doing a Zone 1 recovery ride, and some old guy on an ancient Schwinn passed me, wearing a T-shirt and gym shorts. He wasn't wearing a helmet and looked unvaccinated. Poor bastard was all bunched up, like he was riding a kids bike. It seemed awfully important to him to pass me. But you gotta give it to him for being out there still riding. I hope I'm still riding at his age. But, you know, on a bike that actually fits."

Old 04-20-23, 07:26 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
It would be even better if he had and udjustable watt knob he could dial up if he needed to.
Old 04-20-23, 09:14 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I am ... riding in a tee-shirt and cut-off shorts ...

... other riders who are ... very often ... wearing all sorts of fancy cycling garb as if they are in the Tour De France or something.

Often these are weekend-warriors who are not in as good a shape as they could be, but maybe they think having an expensive bike and race garb ...
Now I regret cutting off the hang tags affixed to my fancy cycling garb after only checking that I received the right size. If only I had read them more carefully, I would have seen the warning that they are only meant for racing in the Tour de France or something, and could have returned them unworn within 30 days of receipt. Now I have to toss them all and ask my wife to cut the legs off my older pants so I can have attire more appropriate for the slow speed at which I cycle. Thankfully, I already own many T-shirts; otherwise, I would have to ride topless like LarrySellerz.
Old 04-20-23, 09:58 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Hamers droped, and all that.
Dialed up to 400 watts, of course.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-20-23, 10:08 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
I am over 60 years old and usually am riding in a tee-shirt and cut-off shorts on a 1970s ten-speed bike that weight 33 pounds and has 21 teeth on it's largest rear sprocket. I have another one I converted to single-speed which has gearing too high for steep hills and too slow for level ground. So I expect to be passed as most are younger and/or on better machinery for specific road conditions. Even if I had a $10K TT bike I would still expect to be blown off regularly at my age of course.

It is not as much fun being old as it is being young.

Walter Mitty lives ...
Old 04-20-23, 11:03 AM
beng1
Banned

Me on the Huffy in the TT last year, 19.5mph average. They would not let me ride without a helmet. I am going to take it out for a spin right now and see how fast it feels like going today, the wind is calm and it is supposed to get up into the low 60s. I will get slower every year now until I kick the bucket, but this year I am going to throw some longer cranks on( it had 165mm for the tt last year), and I have some Continental UltraSportIII tires to try too, so maybe I can not lose too much speed. Notice how the rear rim is distorted under the brutal torque of 175 watts.

Likes For beng1:
Old 04-20-23, 12:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Great helmet choice!
Old 04-20-23, 12:35 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Note: Once the droping is complete, “The Look” must also be given. The defeated racer-boy wannabe must be made to feel, viscerally, his/her/their utter inadequacy in the face of one’s mighty guads.
Likes For badger1:
Old 04-20-23, 06:10 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Me on the Huffy in the TT last year, 19.5mph average. ...

I am digging the minimalist approach, Zen Master. Fancy cycling garb is only for racing the Tour de France or something, and bar tape is only for Paris Roubaix or some other cobble event, right?
Old 04-20-23, 08:47 PM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Great helmet choice!
I had a real cycling helmet in the 1990s, I don't know what happened to it. The helmet in the photo is an all-purpose Tony Hawk made for skateboarding, but I have used it for motorcycling, bicycle races, and skateboarding. The white color makes it stay cool, and it makes interesting flute-like noises in the wind.
Last week I looked in the dumpster of a local bike-shop and found a lightly scuffed Specialized cycling helmet that was my size and even had it's strap adjusted to fit me !!! It may be a more "aero" than the Tony Hawk.
Likes For beng1:
Old 04-20-23, 08:54 PM
beng1
Banned

I am digging the minimalist approach, Zen Master. Fancy cycling garb is only for racing the Tour de France or something, and bar tape is only for Paris Roubaix or some other cobble event, right?
I understand that some of the fancy cycling clothing may be more aerodynamic in a marginal gain sort of way, but I am not interested in marginal gains, especially when they cost extra money. I don't see the purpose in bar tape. When we rode stingrays in the late 60s/early 70s everyone rode holding the bare steel part of the handlebar that was the highest point of the bars, nobody held the bars by the grips especially pedaling under full power standing up. I don't remember having any tape on the bars of my Columbia ten-speed in the 70s either. Nobody worried about that stuff especially young people, they were too busy having fun. Also on hot days the bare metal is a heat-sink and cools your hands and blood. In the winter just wear gloves.
Old 04-21-23, 08:17 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I understand that some of the fancy cycling clothing may be more aerodynamic in a marginal gain sort of way, but I am not interested in marginal gains, especially when they cost extra money. I don't see the purpose in bar tape. When we rode stingrays in the late 60s/early 70s everyone rode holding the bare steel part of the handlebar that was the highest point of the bars, nobody held the bars by the grips especially pedaling under full power standing up. I don't remember having any tape on the bars of my Columbia ten-speed in the 70s either. Nobody worried about that stuff especially young people, they were too busy having fun. Also on hot days the bare metal is a heat-sink and cools your hands and blood. In the winter just wear gloves.
"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-21-23, 12:53 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
Last week I looked in the dumpster of a local bike-shop and found a lightly scuffed Specialized cycling helmet that was my size ...
People toss perfectly good, but scuffed, helmets in dumpsters for no reason. The odds that it was tossed in the dumpster because it was involved in a collision are practically zero. /s
Likes For tomato coupe:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.