Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Soul Wheels - Warranty Experiences?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-11, 12:13 PM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

A spoke recently flew off of my Soul S3.0 rear wheel after the nipple broke. I took the wheel to my LBS to repair, and they reported that another nipple broke while they were repairing it, and that the wheel was out of true. Given that is has less than 1k miles and is only 5 months old, they recommended that I send it back under a warranty claim.

According to the Soul website, international orders receive warranty work after the customer ships the wheel back to Soul (Singapore) at the owner’s expense. If the damage is found to be covered under the warranty, then Soul will reimburse the customer for shipping (somehow).

This leads me to two questions: First, have any of you who own this wheel experienced this broken nipple issue? If so, what was the cause and how successful was the repair? In my case, the wheel has not been crashed or even had any real hard jolts that I can recall.

Second, have any of you had similar repair work done by a local (U.S. – preferably near Maryland) shop? If so, what was the cost and can you provide me with contact details?

Thanks.
Old 09-13-11, 12:17 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
replacing spokes isn't hard. neither is re-truing the wheel.
Old 09-13-11, 12:18 PM
novacoke

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No broken nipples here on my S4.0. Put on about 1300 km since I got them. Here's hoping your issue is an isolated incident (which I think it is). Which side did the nipples break? Was it rear drive side?
Old 09-13-11, 01:24 PM
mazdatech10
master auto tech

Bikes: ,system six ss, , caad9 cross, supersix evo hm, giant omiuim

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i broke a nipple on the drive side on my 4.o's that have 3.5k on them. (granted sean put alloy nipples on the drive side which isn't normally done) but put a new nipple in and retrued. when a nipple/spoke breaks it puts stess on other spokes and nipples, how far did you ride it with a spoke missing?
Old 09-13-11, 02:03 PM
Inertianinja

Bikes: Felt AR1, Cervelo S2

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I did not have the same issue, but i did have a warranty experience.

i had the pawl spring break, which essentially froze my rear hub. i emailed Sean about it. he immediately sent out a new spring and gave me details on how to take care of it.
this was probably 2 months after i got the wheels.
so, positive experience
Old 09-13-11, 02:38 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes. My C 4.0s sheared three brass nipples at the head shortly after they arrived.
At the time, Sean said that they'd only seen this on a wheel that was laced improperly.
This was not the case with my wheels.

I felt the problem was bad nipples exacerbated by a poor design decision in using the same
spoke length all around. The NDS spokes did not run the full length of the nipple leaving the
head unsupported. Sean did not agree with that assessment but didn't offer a better theory.
I had him send me replacement spokes that were a bit longer and I relaced the wheel with them
and some alloy nipples from my supply. The wheels haven't sheared another nipple since.
(You read that right, I replaced brass nipples with alloy and they've been more durable.)

So, I can say that Sean was very responsive and very helpful in resolving the issue. I have
no complaints about the service.

However, when I bought these I did so with full knowledge of what warranty service would entail
and considered them to be an affordable "box of parts" rather than a complete wheelset.
This made sense for me because I'm a competent amateur wheel builder and
they were cheaper than what I could source on my own as parts.

Soul wheels are (or at least were at the time) a bargain. Part of that bargain is understanding
that to get them serviced you either have to pay a local wheelwright or you have to ship them
around the world and back.

Note, I'm not a clyde either. I was maybe 170 pounds two years ago when I bought the wheels.
Old 09-13-11, 03:01 PM
goose70

Thanks Halfspeed, et al. Very helpful. I spoke again w/my LBS to get a better picture of the problem. They are concerned that, if they de-lace and re-lace the wheel (adding new nipples), the rim shape will be compromised. They said that I should ask for a new wheel, since this never should have happened to begin with and indicates a fundamental problem. I'm not in a position to know one way or another. I expect that Sean at Soul will have a different opinion.

I did (and still do) appreciate the risks that come with buying from a small company on the opposite side of the globe when warranty issues pop up (although larger, local companies do not always make warranty issues easy, either). I am disappointed that this happened to a relatively new wheel, and a little disappointed that I have not heard back from Soul after two emails, but it's only been three business days. I'll see how this plays out and report back. I'm optimistic, given Sean's reputation.
Old 09-13-11, 03:09 PM
RazorbasP3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know Sean is at Interbike......might be slow to return your email. Regardless, I will be watching this thread as I have my 3.0SL's in route right now. Just cleared customs yesterday.
Old 09-13-11, 03:09 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by goose70
I spoke again w/my LBS to get a better picture of the problem. They are concerned that, if they de-lace and re-lace the wheel (adding new nipples), the rim shape will be compromised.
I can't imagine why a competent wheel builder would tell you this.
Old 09-13-11, 03:15 PM
goose70

Originally Posted by halfspeed
I can't imagine why a competent wheel builder would tell you this.
I was concerned with that response, too, although the shop generally has a good reputation (not sure about wheels, speciifcally, though). But my inclination is still to find a good local wheel builder rather than ship it out to Singapore.
Old 09-13-11, 03:56 PM
dead_eye

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have broken spokes and nipples on my 3.0SL wheel set. Sean told me he had never had that happen, that was about 6 weeks ago. To this day, he has never offered to warranty his wheel set. I just purchased a set of Ksyrium Elites because I was going broke keeping the Soul wheel set going. The 3.0SL wheel set now hangs in my garage.
Old 09-13-11, 06:15 PM
soulbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear OP, please contact us directly via e-mail and we will resolve this issue. Sad to say it seems that you have brought it in to your LBS and had the spoke/ nipple fixed which means we are unable to examine the failure and determine the cause of it. Thus it will be a little tricky to warranty but we will try our best.

In regards to warranty issues, we are working hard to resolve this issue for our US customers and have set up an address for wheels to be shipped to in CA to have them examined and diagnosed/ serviced. It's early days and we have yet to stock parts there but will do so in the next few months. That will make things alot easier for everyone in the US.

In regards to Halfspeed, if memory serves me correctly, you had spokes/ nipples break on your C4.0. These were first generation wheels, we had discussions about spoke lengths and nipple type/ material. Ultimately we have taken your suggestion into consideration, increased spoke length for the C4 by 1mm, and we also changed the hole angle for our rims. So far so good, I thank you very much for your feedback and it's these types of feedback that help us create a better product. Thank you again.

To dead_eye, our offer still stands, show us a picture of those broken spokes you claimed magically happened when the bike was at the stop sign, and we will go from there.

As you can tell, we received numerous claims for warranty in the 6 years of our brand (time flies). Some genuine, some that claim our wheels magically explode, not so. We try our best to deal with these while the business grows, having sold very well thanks in big part to this forum and it's members takes time to adjust to but again, we'll give it our best shot. So OP, please contact us via e-mail and we will resolve this matter.
Old 09-13-11, 06:40 PM
fishymamba

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
^^^This is the reason I am going to get SOuls as my next wheelset.
Old 09-13-11, 07:31 PM
dead_eye

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soulbike

To dead_eye, our offer still stands, show us a picture of those broken spokes you claimed magically happened when the bike was at the stop sign, and we will go from there.
To Sean, I never said the spoke broke sitting at a stop sign. They broke during normal use. I didn't think it would require a picture and I wasn't going to ship them back to you to have a spoke replaced. I have no less than 20 witnesses to the failures I have had. Funny thing is the nipples or spokes broke continuously, the mavics haven't given a bit. Sean, you know you screwed this deal up from the start then you didn't stand behind your product when I notified you about the issues. I have ridden close to 300 miles total this year on a broken wheel because of the numerous failures. Also, you never asked for a picture, besides I'm more worried about riding than taking pictures, so while you made excuses I was having the wheels fixed so I could keep riding. I will gladly sell the wheels if I ever find a buyer because they won't be on any of my bikes again.
Old 09-13-11, 07:34 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by fishymamba
^^^This is the reason I am going to get SOuls as my next wheelset.
I agree. A prompt, reasonable response goes a long way.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-13-11, 08:20 PM
soulbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, attached below was our last e-mail to you. And attached are the few e-mails that preceded it. Sorry I misquoted you on all 3 spokes breaking at the same stop sign, it was my inaccurate representation of what occurred.

Please send me pictures of said broken spokes on rear wheel. I find it highly suspicious that someone magically breaks 3 spokes on a rear wheel that is built with bigger spokes than usual just by riding along, especially after countless people have been riding theirs for years without breaking any.
On 6/1/2011 7:43 PM, X wrote:
> I guess you don't stand behind your wheels either? I'll make this hard on you now since all you are out to doves screw your customer.
and

I read your lame ass reply on Bike Forum. Guess what, I tried to help you out of your mistake and all I get is a big screw you. Thanks Sean, you are a real class act.

By the way, 3 spokes broke on the back wheel tonight. So glad I have to work on them now. I have never broken a spoke before, much less 3!

I really couldn't be less satisfied with a purchase.
and

Once again, Sean must be right and the customer wrong. I don't know why I even mentioned it to you, I know you are not going to fix it. You will just blame me like you have for your other screw ups. Magical as it might seem to you, the first one broke as I was leaving a light and the next two broke 2 miles later at the next light.
All warranties are handled as best we can and being as fair and equal to everyone as possible. I don't enjoy doing this, calling people out and everyday I wish I do not have to defend myself on a forum for no apparent reason other than hate and I much rather be building wheels and designing new products for customers, but sometimes the world requires a Mel Gibson moment.

Originally Posted by dead_eye
To Sean, I never said the spoke broke sitting at a stop sign. They broke during normal use. I didn't think it would require a picture and I wasn't going to ship them back to you to have a spoke replaced. I have no less than 20 witnesses to the failures I have had. Funny thing is the nipples or spokes broke continuously, the mavics haven't given a bit. Sean, you know you screwed this deal up from the start then you didn't stand behind your product when I notified you about the issues. I have ridden close to 300 miles total this year on a broken wheel because of the numerous failures. Also, you never asked for a picture, besides I'm more worried about riding than taking pictures, so while you made excuses I was having the wheels fixed so I could keep riding. I will gladly sell the wheels if I ever find a buyer because they won't be on any of my bikes again.
Old 09-13-11, 09:58 PM
milnerpt

Bikes: Scott scale 29er, Gary fisher Rig SS 29er, Fuji Cross pro, Novara Randonee, Scattante TI custom build, Fuji Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
checkmate!
Old 09-13-11, 10:06 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Wow who would've thought that some BF members are actually dicks in real life?
Old 09-13-11, 10:10 PM
fishymamba

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
totally ****** bag status. Seriously man! WTF is wrong with you**********??
Old 09-13-11, 10:45 PM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Damn. What the hell?
Old 09-14-11, 12:09 AM
trustbran

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aloha Guys!

I have been riding my 3.0SL's for over 500 miles now and they are rock solid! Keep in mind guys the roads here in Hawaii can really suck and I smash through them with the SOULS! Sean has also responded to all my emails in a very timely manner and I can get pretty demanding but Sean has remained very professional. I ordered wheels from Sean because of the great reputation he has built in the Weightweenies forum and I decided to take a chance. Keep in mind I live in Hawaii so its extra hard to do anything and limited if a spoke breaks on me. All I can say is I'm glad I ordered SOUL wheels!

Mahalo, Brandon G.
Old 09-14-11, 04:41 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I had broken nipples on my rear wheel. Non drive side if I remember right. Mailed Sean the pics, and he said that it was because I had allowed the wheels to get wet, and not taken adequate care. His reply:
Hi Deepak,

I can send you some nipples but you should be able to get those easily at a LBS? Nipples on the NDS are alloy, and from the look of things they have corroded because of probably riding the wheels in the rain. You have to take care of the wheels better, wipe them and drain them if they are ridden in rain or if you wash your bike regularly.
I had NOT ridden the wheels in the rain. Maybe a few splattered spots of water from isolated puddles/wet roads after a rain but that was it.

The wheels had 700km on them and were in the first month of use, and all on good roads.

Later spoke to a friend who had the Soul 3s with no issues, and he mentioned that at the time of ordering Sean had suggested brass nipples. I had not given this thought, and my wheels came with the stock alloy nipples.

Later Sean sent some spokes and nipples as well and I got the wheel rebuilt at a LBS. The wheelset is fine, though I now have Psimets PT rear and hence do not use the Soul rear.

Having said all that, I have still recommended the wheels to friends, but suggested that they get brass nipples.

I was not happy with the argument that the wheels should not be able to take wet conditions. Even if true, 1 month and 700km? I got the spares, and Souls are still a good deal I guess.

The thread in our local forum:

https://www.bikeszone.com/forum/viewt...it=soul+nipple

Last edited by deepakvrao; 09-14-11 at 04:47 AM.
Old 09-14-11, 06:44 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Buy local...PSIMET, BOYD, WILLIAMS.....
Old 09-14-11, 06:49 AM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Old 09-14-11, 07:43 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm shopping for wheels for my wife's new bike and it appears that several folks have had failures yet most/all have been told that it is either the first time, or a fault in their usage.

That is not good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.