Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Eddy Merckx Racing versus Specialized S-works E5 Aerotec VOTE NOW

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-11, 10:34 PM
scrptdr

Bikes: 1989 Lemond Maillot Jaune; 1992 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra; 1992 Giant Cadex CFR2; Surly Long Haul Trucker; Focus Cayo Evo Di2; K2 Razorback SL; Batavus Grand Tourist Nuvinci hub; Dahon Vector P9;

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi, newbie to forum here... looking for opinions. I just picked up a 2003 Specialized S-works E5 Aerotec. It has some nice stuff on it and some not so nice stuff. My main ride for last year has been a 2005 Eddy Merckx Racing (built of Easton 7000 Race tubing) that I built up (again has some nice stuff and some not so nice stuff). So I'd like to put all the good stuff on one, and all the not so good stuff on the other, to make a racer and a workaday trainer. But here's the rub... which is which?

My first ride on the E5 made me incline heavily toward it, and all the LBS guys are in favor also, thought very highly of it. So I'm wondering if anyone else wants to weigh in before I start swapping stuff around.

This is what we call a quality problem, having two such nice bikes to play with. And sometimes I just want to get on my 531 Reynolds Triumph Gran Course and go old schoolin'. Probably not the only here with too many bikes. Thanks for your ideas.
Old 08-26-11, 08:23 AM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even though the Eddy Merckx is a racer, I'd believe that it would be better for training rides and longer stints in the saddle. The E5 would most likely be better for the racing part of things if you want to make that distinction.

I tend to put the nicer parts on my training bike, though, but then I'm backwards because I train on the Tarmac and race on the E5. But I'd hate to crash my Tarmac in a race and it's such a pleasant bike to ride for distance.
Old 08-26-11, 08:49 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That is actually very sound logic. Whichever frame is more valuable should not be your race bike because the odds of a crash in a race are higher. (Unless you train really hard particularly in a group.)

The Merckx is more valuable, right? Train on that and race the Specialized.

*Edit I assume you're not a cat1 rider. If you are, then you probably race on the best bike you've got, period.
Old 08-26-11, 09:30 AM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

image uploading

This is my vote.
Old 08-26-11, 10:43 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I loved my 03 S-Works E5. Despite the frame being cracked, I have it hanging on my garage wall - I am unwilling to part with it.

The only bike I have ridden I liked better is a Cannondale System-6 - the Caads aren't even in the same ballpark as that S-Works frame. (I replaced the E-5 with a Caad 9).
Old 08-26-11, 10:59 AM
novacoke

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a 2002 E5 Aerotec s-works owner with very little experience riding other brands... I say E5.
Old 08-26-11, 06:32 PM
dbh

Bikes: '85 Merckx Professional, '91 De Rosa Professional, Surly CrossCheck, '93 Merckx Corsa, '07 Merckx Premium team bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It says Eddy on the downtube. What more do you need.
Old 08-28-11, 01:13 PM
scrptdr

Bikes: 1989 Lemond Maillot Jaune; 1992 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra; 1992 Giant Cadex CFR2; Surly Long Haul Trucker; Focus Cayo Evo Di2; K2 Razorback SL; Batavus Grand Tourist Nuvinci hub; Dahon Vector P9;

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Aerotec seems to be winning out. I'm actually playing with selling the Merckx, if anyone is interested. Is it okay to post craigslist links here? I will wait for an answer, but meanwhile it is in Inland empire (los angeles area) craigslist under Eddy Merckx Racing.

I'm liking the ride of the Aerotec a lot. Maybe it's just the novelty and the fit. A local custom frame builder (can refer if anyone is looking for a top of the line guy who really knows his stuff) is aiding in my de-fredification and that may be a factor, so far we've just worked with the aerotec.
Old 08-28-11, 03:41 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
scrptdr- you're not supposed to sell things directly (I have X for Y price email or PM) or indirectly (CL / ebay link) unless you purchase a premium membership. info about it up above the forum in the 'classifieds' main link.

you can definitely refer shops, builders, link to CL and ebay that aren't your own sales, etc.
Old 08-28-11, 05:58 PM
scrptdr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
roger that, thanks for info, will upgrade and list in classified