Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Getting into Road Cycling... I Have Some Questions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-12, 09:52 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I started out into cycling with a hybrid, and I've modified it to fit my needs better. I started out with flipping the stem (to obtain a negative rise on it) and putting spacers above the stem, moved on to putting a pair of 25mm tires on it, got some MTB clipless pedals on it, and installed some bullhorn bars. I decided to retire that to some singletrack riding after I put some 38mm tires on it and get a real road bike. So I ordered a Fuji Roubaix 1.0 with full 105 (except for the brake calipers) in a 49cm because not a single PBS in the entre state of Colorado had one in that size and I'm only 5'3". It's going to arrive tomorrow, and when I go in to the shop to pick it up, I will need to get some pedals (among other things) with my Team Performance points. I have $113 in points and I'd like to be able to afford some other stuff with those points. Is it best just to get a pair of cheap Shimano R540 (price matched to Nashbar for $38.99) or should I go all out and get a pair of $115 Speedplay's? Keep in mind that I'm a broke sophomore in high school.

Last edited by AlphaDogg; 04-11-12 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-11-12, 10:10 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
R540s are great pedals. They function the same and use the same cleats as the higher-end Shimano pedals, but are heavier... that's about it.
Old 04-11-12, 10:11 PM
blcknspo0ln

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Allez 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd buy the 540s or spend the $65 and get 105's. I really like my 105's over my old speedplays.. however, you'll get a ton of mixed reactions on what pedals to get, so just read all of the threads asking the same questions.

But all in all, congrats on the move to a full road bike!
Old 04-11-12, 10:24 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Which is easier to clip in/out of? I assume it's the same as standard SPD pedals, by pushing your foot towards the front of the pedal and letting the back part of the cleat slip into the pedal, and turning my heels out to the side to exit the pedal?
Old 04-11-12, 10:30 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speedplays are a bit easier to get into since they're dual sided, but not that much easier. Both are the same to get out, just kick your heel out.
Old 04-11-12, 10:41 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MegaTom
Speedplays are a bit easier to get into since they're dual sided, but not that much easier. Both are the same to get out, just kick your heel out.
Is it a hard transition moving from double sided PD-M520's to single sided PD-R540's?
Old 04-11-12, 10:44 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts
Go with the Shimano pedals. Congrats on getting into a sport/hobby that will provide a lot of satisfaction throughout the rest of your life.

If you haven't already done so I would advise getting a decent set of bib-shorts with some of the rest of those performance rewards.

Old 04-11-12, 10:47 PM
fishymamba

Bikes: CAAD9-6, 13' Dawes Haymaker 1500

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg
Is it best just to get a pair of cheap Shimano R540 (price matched to Nashbar for $38.99) or should I go all out and get a pair of $115 Speedplay's? Keep in mind that I'm a broke sophomore in high school.
I'm in the same boat as you: broke junior in high school

I got a pair of used Shimano 105 pedals for $30 on this forum. They work great, wayyy better than my old shimano MTB pedals.

I do not think double sided pedals will make a big difference in clipping in, I almost always clip in on the first try now with my 105s.

I think you should just stick with the pedals you have right now and upgrade when they wear out after a couple thousand miles(probably more). There is no need to go out and spend $100+ on pedals.
Old 04-11-12, 10:53 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Go with the Shimano pedals. Congrats on getting into a sport/hobby that will provide a lot of satisfaction throughout the rest of your life.

If you haven't already done so I would advise getting a decent set of bib-shorts with some of the rest of those performance rewards.
I have two pair of DNA bib shorts from Nashbar, 3 jerseys from Nashbar, and one jersey that I bought in Israel. I got addicted to the clothing long before I should have. But now, it's not a problem because I'm not going to be some ridiculous guy on a hybrid wearing full spandex kit anymore. On my hybrid, I can keep up an average of 14mph when I'm tired, and 18mph when I'm not. How do you think that will translate on a roadie? Keep in mind that I have a slightly more than aerodynamic position than average for a hybrid on my hybrid because of the flipped and dropped stem and bullhorn bars.
Old 04-11-12, 10:54 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Excellent choice! That bike will give you miles and miles of smiles! I am very happy with my Shimano 520s. They work flawlessly. If you don't have cycling shorts with a chamois, get a pair. Guys like bibs, but they have higher price. Performance has lots of sales; you might want to wait until you can snag something on sale.
Old 04-11-12, 10:55 PM
fishymamba

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I have two pair of DNA bib shorts from Nashbar, 3 jerseys from Nashbar, and one jersey that I bought in Israel. I got addicted to the clothing long before I should have. But now, it's not a problem because I'm not going to be some ridiculous guy on a hybrid wearing full spandex kit anymore. On my hybrid, I can keep up an average of 14mph when I'm tired, and 18mph when I'm not. How do you think that will translate on a roadie? Keep in mind that I have a slightly more than aerodynamic position than average for a hybrid on my hybrid because of the flipped and dropped stem and bullhorn bars.
To tell you the truth you will not see a big difference. Maybe 1 mph more? I went from a crappy $100 mtb to a CAAD9 and that was a huge difference, but I tried out a couple hybrids and they felt pretty quick actually.

Make sure to get a fit when you get the bike. If you are "poor" like me, you probably won't want to get a fit from a shop($100+). Some people in my club helped me get comfortable on my bike.
Old 04-11-12, 10:58 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fishymamba
To tell you the truth you will not see a big difference. Maybe 1 mph more? I went from a crappy $100 mtb to a CAAD9 and that was a huge difference, but I tried out a couple hybrids and they felt pretty quick actually.

Make sure to get a fit when you get the bike. If you are "poor" like me, you probably won't want to get a fit from a shop($100+). Some people in my club helped me get comfortable on my bike.
I was hoping for a 2-4mph boost, and if I don't get that from the bike, I'm sure I'll get it from the placebo effect.
Old 04-11-12, 11:00 PM
fishymamba

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I was hoping for a 2-4mph boost, and if I don't get that from the bike, I'm sure I'll get it from the placebo effect.
Haha, that placebo is probably the biggest boost you will get. And you will want to get out and do more rides and ride longer.
Old 04-11-12, 11:10 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Haha, that placebo is probably the biggest boost you will get. And you will want to get out and do more rides and ride longer.
I'm good on the long ride front; yesterday I rode from uptown Denver to downtown Boulder (Colorado). It's a 45 mile ride full of rolling hills (10mph uphills and 40mph downhills) and for about 15 of those miles, I was on CO-93. I had huge semi trucks passing me. I'll probably never do that again, but the MUPs here in Denver are spectacular and one of them (called the Cherry Creek trail) will be where my bike gets 90% of the mileage it will accumulate.
Old 04-11-12, 11:19 PM
fishymamba

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I'm good on the long ride front; yesterday I rode from uptown Denver to downtown Boulder (Colorado). It's a 45 mile ride full of rolling hills (10mph uphills and 40mph downhills) and for about 15 of those miles, I was on CO-93. I had huge semi trucks passing me. I'll probably never do that again, but the MUPs here in Denver are spectacular and one of them (called the Cherry Creek trail) will be where my bike gets 90% of the mileage it will accumulate.
Haha, yeah I am not a fan of riding on busy roads, I rode on the 101 freeway once....that was horrible, traffic passing by at 60+mph.

Denver is supposed to have some good riding! Try to get a century done within a couple months!! They are pretty tough especially with a lot of climbing.
Have you joined a club? Do you just do solo rides? Group riding has definitely helped me get faster. There is always someone faster than you who makes you push harder.
Old 04-11-12, 11:21 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Haha, yeah I am not a fan of riding on busy roads, I rode on the 101 freeway once....that was horrible, traffic passing by at 60+mph.

Denver is supposed to have some good riding! Try to get a century done within a couple months!! They are pretty tough especially with a lot of climbing.
Have you joined a club? Do you just do solo rides? Group riding has definitely helped me get faster. There is always someone faster than you who makes you push harder.
I ride with a friend. He bikes to school every day, so he's a super strong rider. He was cranking up the hills, leaving me in the dust, and I zoomed past him on the downhills because I'm more aero.
Old 04-12-12, 08:52 AM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, it looks like I'll be getting it soon! The shop said it would take about an hour to assemble it.

Old 04-12-12, 09:10 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Dude. Double points this weekend. See if they will give you the nod on that deal. It would be a shame to buy something this expensive and miss out on that much benefit.

And for pedals, if you are comfortable with MTB pedals/shoes, read the thread on MTB pedals on road bikes - it is recent and might be of some help to you. I am a Crank Bros. disciple as I don't like walking on my heels

(I am reading that right, right? You had this shipped from another Performance store in California?)
Old 04-12-12, 09:42 AM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RTDub
Dude. Double points this weekend. See if they will give you the nod on that deal. It would be a shame to buy something this expensive and miss out on that much benefit.

And for pedals, if you are comfortable with MTB pedals/shoes, read the thread on MTB pedals on road bikes - it is recent and might be of some help to you. I am a Crank Bros. disciple as I don't like walking on my heels

(I am reading that right, right? You had this shipped from another Performance store in California?)
I am trying to stay as unfredly as possible, so I'll definitely be going with road pedals. No, the bike was shipped from PBS's warehouse in California.

And yeah, I'll ask to see if they can give me a break on double points. Maybe they could do 1.5x points.
Old 04-12-12, 09:50 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am trying to stay as unfredly as possible, so I'll definitely be going with road pedals. No, the bike was shipped from PBS's warehouse in California.

And yeah, I'll ask to see if they can give me a break on double points. Maybe they could do 1.5x points.
So the 41 just hands out the Kool-Aid at the door now Do what is comfortable for you and don't worry about who labels you. Good luck on the points. That's a handsome sum when you think about it and are in need of basics.
Old 04-12-12, 10:04 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
road pedals are for road shoes. even if you have the right number of bolts in your sole, you won't be able to use most (if any?) road pedals with a MTB treaded shoe.
Old 04-12-12, 10:06 AM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColinL
road pedals are for road shoes. even if you have the right number of bolts in your sole, you won't be able to use most (if any?) road pedals with a MTB treaded shoe.
No worries, I have road shoes that accept both types of cleats and a pair of MTB shoes. I got the road shoes when I ordered the bike and I've been using them with my MTB pedals. When I get the new bike and pedals, I'll put the MTB cleats back on the MTB shoes and put the road cleats on the road shoes.
Old 04-12-12, 11:18 AM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 04-12-12, 11:23 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Now go get it and do not post unless accompanied by pictures.
Old 04-12-12, 11:27 AM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just called the store and they said it won't be ready until 4 or 5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.