Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Does the RAGBRAI count as touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Does the RAGBRAI count as touring?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-18, 10:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,541 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad_AZ
Most excellent suggestion - the campgrounds are mostly quiet, but there are a ton of people there and ear plugs weigh next to nothing!
Back in the day I crossed the country self contained with 12 other people. It only took one night to identify the four loud snorers in the group. We quickly instituted a policy of segregation. If we were camping in one large area, the snorers had to pitch their tens as far away as possible from the rest. If we had multiple sights, there were snoring and non-snoring sights. When we stayed in motels or hostels, there were snoring and non-snoring rooms.

The last supported tour I did was in 2014. For two nights my tent was pitched next to an incredibly loud snorer. This guy could wake the dead. I would have moved the tent but there were no good places left to pitch. The second night the GF and I slept on the couches of a dorm on the college campus where we were camped.
Old 05-29-18, 11:33 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Reason #38 why I won’t go on group tours.
Old 06-06-18, 06:01 AM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
I have ridden on RAGBRAI several times, 'self-supported' with my gear on a rack --- I definitely consider it a type of touring (who doesn't appreciate the safe and scenic routes, traffic control, and frequent water and pie stops?).

You should have a light-weight windbreaker or rain jacket with you. Some mornings can be cool, and thunderstorms can roll through Iowa dropping the temperatures into the 50's.

You may need bike lights, at least for evening activities in the stopping towns. Some overnight towns offer shuttles to the 'Main Street Party', but more often than not, it's easier to just pedal another half mile from camp, and lights are highly recommended for any sunset rides to camp (and legally required, too).

This year I will be adding a multi-usb charging device for my phone, GPS, and possibly topping up lights. I might add a 3 into 1 outlet splitter as well, for all of my friends in camp.

Enjoy your upcoming tour, maybe I'll see you in the corn; and always remember, Ride Right!
Old 06-06-18, 06:16 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
After thinking about it a bit more I'll say this...
Is it touring, yes sure.
Is the experience anything like what we usually think of as touring, no. It feels way more like an organized century or a charity ride extended out multiple days than a tour. The participants may include folks who do more conventional touring, but they are the minority.

Nothing wrong with it, but it isn't a great way to see what other touring is like.
Old 06-06-18, 07:29 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Enjoy your ride, I took this picture 6/2/18 at the trailhead in Ankeny, IA. This was nearing the end of a 9 day trip around Des Moines.

It got up to around a hundred degrees Memorial Day weekend. Record setting temps. It was hot.

They have hundreds of miles of nice paved trails around Des Moines with camping available.

RGBRAI too crowded for me!