Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What Garmin for weak eyes?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-17, 06:09 AM
pit_usa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Good Day All. I was thinking of getting a Garmin GPS the 520 OR 1000 Bundle. Anybody has this? Do you guys find it hard to read and see the Screen while mounted and riding? Right now I am using the Cateye Padrone, which has a big Numbers for me TO SEE EASILY(the reason I bought), but has NO CADENCE. And now, I want to have add ons like maps, cadence, hr, etc.
THANK YOU.
ps I may have missed something, pls ask.
Old 04-19-17, 06:22 AM
DEW21

Bikes: 2012 Giant Escape, 199? Specialized HardRock

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had the same problem when I put a GPS on my motorcycle so I went and got a pair of safety glasses with readers at the bottom, problem solved. It sucks getting old!!

Bifocal Safety Glasses - Safety Glasses USA
Old 04-19-17, 06:55 AM
whitla

Bikes: Schwinn Tandem and an Opus for when I don't have a second rider.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I now use my smartphone instead of the garmin. In my opinion google maps is way better than Garmin and the maps are free!!

We toured Europe last summer and had a garmin and a phone using google maps. The google maps routes plotted were almost always a better bike route.

Also google maps can now be used without data if you download maps to your phone when you have internet access. The maps are waaaay more detailed too.

I got a mount for my phone which works great!!

You can see my phone mounted to my bike in this video:

Even in Cuba where there really is not much internet google maps did the job really well.
Old 04-19-17, 06:57 AM
pit_usa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DEW21
Had the same problem when I put a GPS on my motorcycle so I went and got a pair of safety glasses with readers at the bottom, problem solved. It sucks getting old!!

Yeah you're right DEW21, I IF you lean on those reading glasses they break easily, and you cant read at all! lol. thanks
Old 04-19-17, 07:03 AM
pit_usa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by whitla
I now use my smartphone instead of the garmin. In my opinion google maps is way better than Garmin and the maps are free!!

We toured Europe last summer and had a garmin and a phone using google maps. The google maps routes plotted were almost always a better bike route.

Also google maps can now be used without data if you download maps to your phone when you have internet access. The maps are waaaay more detailed too.

I got a mount for my phone which works great!!

You can see my phone mounted to my bike in this video:
https://youtu.be/WYyVwIB8494?t=1m30s

Even in Cuba where there really is not much internet google maps did the job really well.
Whitla >> I like the Video really. I DO make Videos for myself too, and it's fun watching after a ride. And yes for the map the CP really works!!! thanks.
Old 04-19-17, 08:00 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
I wear prescription glasses.
Old 04-19-17, 08:07 AM
whitla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pit_usa
Whitla >> I like the Video really. I DO make Videos for myself too, and it's fun watching after a ride. And yes for the map the CP really works!!! thanks.
Depending on your eyesight a pair of progressive lenses might be a good addition too. I have a pair and they are great (for some things).
Old 04-19-17, 08:45 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
"weak eyes". Do you mean "nearsighted", needing reading glasses?

These stick-on bifocals work great. They stay on, even when rinsing the glasses under the tap. I trimmed mine down with a razor blade so that just the area around my handlebars is in focus.

I also have progressive bifocals for off-bike use, but use these stick-ons along with a distance prescription on my wraparound riding glasses. The bifocal line took a couple of rides to get used to. Now I don't even notice it at all. It's interesting how your vision adapts.

Last edited by rm -rf; 04-19-17 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-19-17, 08:45 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I hate wearing glasses on the bike (sweat, rain, etc. don't like glasses). I have used a Garmin Edge 1000 for three or four years without glasses. The fonts and maps are large and clear. That's why I bought it in the first place. The only exceptions are road names on certain maps and some of the incidental alerts -- those fonts can be pretty small and I have to move closer to see them.

I recently bought an 820 -- the same size as the 520. The fonts there aren't quite as large, but they still work for me.
Old 04-19-17, 09:44 AM
pit_usa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
I wear prescription glasses.
Maybe I'll have one of those too one of these days... Thank You oldnslow2.
Old 04-19-17, 09:47 AM
pit_usa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by whitla
Depending on your eyesight a pair of progressive lenses might be a good addition too. I have a pair and they are great (for some things).
Yes for sure. When I visit the Doc next time. thanks whitla.
Old 04-19-17, 09:53 AM
pit_usa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rm -rf
"weak eyes". Do you mean "nearsighted", needing reading glasses?

These stick-on bifocals work great. They stay on, even when rinsing the glasses under the tap. I trimmed mine down with a razor blade so that just the area around my handlebars is in focus.

I also have progressive bifocals for off-bike use, but use these stick-ons along with a distance prescription on my wraparound riding glasses. The bifocal line took a couple of rides to get used to. Now I don't even notice it at all. It's interesting how your vision adapts.
Thanks rm-rf, thats a good idea, I am Far Sighted. I can ride w/o my glasses, but reading? >> most specially when OR after the ride makes me dizzy reading.
Old 04-19-17, 10:18 AM
pit_usa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I hate wearing glasses on the bike (sweat, rain, etc. don't like glasses). I have used a Garmin Edge 1000 for three or four years without glasses. The fonts and maps are large and clear. That's why I bought it in the first place. The only exceptions are road names on certain maps and some of the incidental alerts -- those fonts can be pretty small and I have to move closer to see them.

I recently bought an 820 -- the same size as the 520. The fonts there aren't quite as large, but they still work for me.
Thanks FlashBazbo. Yeah I think I will go for the 520 OR 820 Bundle. I LIKE the map though, good to have one, but Font is no. 1 for me now for the eyes, plus the Cadence(I do Spin a Lot), and I want to see the Contour/Grade on where I ride, Speed, HR, of course the Mileage and Odometer.

I am going to see the real ones in person to gauge the Font Size and Screen actual size.
Old 04-19-17, 12:14 PM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
https://www.discountsafetygear.com/g...y-glasses.html

I wear safety glasses with readers in them. Problem solved for 6 to 10 bucks.
Old 04-20-17, 06:11 AM
welshTerrier2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lots of good options on bi-focal sunglasses for under $20. Check these out: https://www.readers.com/bifocal-reading-glasses.html?sc[Tint][]=293&sort=orderby&page=1 On the left side of the page, choose "Lens Tint" and then select "Reading Sunglasses".

Last edited by welshTerrier2; 04-20-17 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-20-17, 01:27 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts

Yea, I've bought several pair of bifocal sunglasses and clear lenses to have around - in my bike bag, in my cars, etc. They're cheap enough to put where you need them so you don't forget them.

Check Amazon for them, there are a few options, if you aren't turned on by options at the above site. But they look better than what I bought!

I also splurged and bought some progressive lens Oakleys which I use unless I forget them (thus the cheap safety sunglasses stashed around). The Oakleys are terrific in optics, clarity, frame durability, etc, but like a high end bike, I'm not eager to tell how much they cost, even after the vision insurance benefit. Unfortunately, after wearing them for a while, I decided they aren't the best fit for me and I would choose a different lens shape in the future, but they are really great in terms of quality.

Last edited by Camilo; 04-20-17 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-20-17, 04:38 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Wear single vision rx sunglasses. With the Garmin 800, 3 line display is plenty easy to read. Maps, not so much on the go (preloading a course though I don't need to really study the map so it's OK).

scott s.
Old 04-30-17, 02:22 AM
Machoman121

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I wear contacts so that corrects the distance but up close everything is blurry - if i have to use the GPS on a ride i'll put on my Dual Eyewear sunnies. it's quite reasonably priced for a bifocal sunnies.
Old 04-30-17, 04:47 AM
Bike tinker man

Bikes: My 1978 Raleigh from new, 1995 Trek, & constant changing & rebuilding of other bike projects.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pit_usa
Hi Good Day All. I was thinking of getting a Garmin GPS the 520 OR 1000 Bundle. Anybody has this? Do you guys find it hard to read and see the Screen while mounted and riding? Right now I am using the Cateye Padrone, which has a big Numbers for me TO SEE EASILY(the reason I bought), but has NO CADENCE. And now, I want to have add ons like maps, cadence, hr, etc.
THANK YOU.
ps I may have missed something, pls ask.
I also use Cateye Padron Smart this has Cadence & for the same reason excellent display easy to see, I've tended to know where I'm biking, & if its new area I've zoomed in on google earth & taken note, in my back pocket I have GPS on the phone, I use it to save the route as a record, occasionally I'll get it out to check direction or how far more to go if I'm in a new location etc, but no use in front of me with glasses, glare, unit in plastic cover etc, to me hopeless.
Old 05-01-17, 10:27 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
The Garmins have customizable displays where you can choose how many data fields to display and what each field tells you. If you put a small number of fields on a page, it displays them in a font sized to fit the available space, which would make it easier to read.

I wear progressive bifocals when riding so that I can see ahead clearly and also look down quickly to read the display. I have an Edge 1000 partly because the screen is large, and I have no problems reading it even with the max number of fields per page (can never have too much useless data!).
Old 05-01-17, 05:40 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bifocal sport and safety glasses work superbly. I have tried many brands and like the Crossfire the best (roughly about $10 or so), and Pyramex are decent too. The Pyramex in particular is nice since they offer a model with indoor/outdoor bifocal lens. These just have a hint of shading and work really well on cloudy days, and they are ok when the sun comes out. But the Crossfire with the bronze bifocal lens are my favorites and will leave you wondering how so much quality can be had in a $10 pair of safety glasses.

As mentioned above, the Edge 1000 is probably the best choice although the 820 is acceptable too. But I have the 1000 and never have any issues reading it (with the bifocal sport glasses). The auto backlighting needs a little software work but it's Ok, and can also be turned off if you want max brightness all the time. It doesn't drain the battery as much as you might think. I ran my Edge 800 at full brightness for almost 7 years until the screen started delaminating. I got a good life out of it and hope the 1000 is equally as reliable.
Old 05-02-17, 09:25 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
I am also a fan of stick-on magnifiers. I learned that only one of a pair are necessary! Our brain makes the necessary adjustments to be able to see with a focus on what's near (the display) and the far (the road ahead) at the same time.
Old 05-03-17, 11:13 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

This

Originally Posted by sevenmag
https://www.discountsafetygear.com/g...y-glasses.html

I wear safety glasses with readers in them. Problem solved for 6 to 10 bucks.
And this

Originally Posted by Camilo
Yea, I've bought several pair of bifocal sunglasses and clear lenses to have around - in my bike bag, in my cars, etc. They're cheap enough to put where you need them so you don't forget them.

Check Amazon for them, there are a few options, if you aren't turned on by options at the above site. But they look better than what I bought!

I also splurged and bought some progressive lens Oakleys which I use unless I forget them (thus the cheap safety sunglasses stashed around). The Oakleys are terrific in optics, clarity, frame durability, etc, but like a high end bike, I'm not eager to tell how much they cost, even after the vision insurance benefit. Unfortunately, after wearing them for a while, I decided they aren't the best fit for me and I would choose a different lens shape in the future, but they are really great in terms of quality.
And this

Originally Posted by NealH
The bifocal sport and safety glasses work superbly. I have tried many brands and like the Crossfire the best (roughly about $10 or so), and Pyramex are decent too. The Pyramex in particular is nice since they offer a model with indoor/outdoor bifocal lens. These just have a hint of shading and work really well on cloudy days, and they are ok when the sun comes out. But the Crossfire with the bronze bifocal lens are my favorites and will leave you wondering how so much quality can be had in a $10 pair of safety glasses.

As mentioned above, the Edge 1000 is probably the best choice although the 820 is acceptable too. But I have the 1000 and never have any issues reading it (with the bifocal sport glasses). The auto backlighting needs a little software work but it's Ok, and can also be turned off if you want max brightness all the time. It doesn't drain the battery as much as you might think. I ran my Edge 800 at full brightness for almost 7 years until the screen started delaminating. I got a good life out of it and hope the 1000 is equally as reliable.
And this

I thought I invented the idea of using cheap bifocal safety glasses for cycling ... but I'm obviously not alone.

I have a pair of non-bifocal Oakleys. My safety glasses look identical. With them I can read the Garmin, cue sheets, and ... menus in restaurants
Old 05-08-17, 06:27 AM
whitla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One other option worth considering if you are getting glasses are transition lenses (the kind that go darker with sunlight). I get this on all my glasses and it provides great comfort.
Old 05-08-17, 01:50 PM
yetirider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use this which have a small +2 part at the bottom for looking at a Garmin.
Dual SL2 sunglasses
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...sl_1pn6y3lxt_b