Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Thieves 2 - Me 0

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Thieves 2 - Me 0

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-09, 07:28 PM
nvr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thieves 2 - Me 0

Well it happened again. The first time it happened I walked outside after work to find my wheel stolen. Being an impatient dummy I left the front wheel unlocked. Lesson learned, never repeated since. Today I'm unlocking my bike after work (which is at a rack right next to the guard shack), and I go to put my bottle in it's cage, but the cage is missing...??? I ride a Trek 2300 to commute and it's got nuts holding the cage on so someone out there was walking around with an 8mm socket. The lowlife didn't even have the decency to drop the nuts on the ground so now I have to go buy some more. I gave the bike a quick once over to make sure nothing else was missing, or loose, and just stuck the bottle in my jersey pocket. I guess I'll have to run a cable through the cage too from now on. Just a little pissed and venting...
Old 05-07-09, 07:36 PM
jmichaeldesign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look at it this way, a stolen cage is far easier to replace than it is to repair the scratch someone puts in your car while it's parked outside of work.
Old 05-07-09, 07:37 PM
GodsBassist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sucks, but you can't lock everything I guess. If theft of that kind of stuff is common in the area you park, you might look at bolts with different than standard holes. Some are even one of a kind, requiring a specific tool that only you have... might be a little over the top for your water bottle cage, but that's up to you.
Old 05-07-09, 08:01 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Wtf? who steals a bottle cage? was it carbon fiber or gold plated or something ridiculous?

You can try putting the new on one with two different kinds of nut, maybe one normal and one allen nut.
This might cut down on casual scrapmetal theft.. then again maybe your thief is going around with a toolbox..
Old 05-07-09, 08:08 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Two allen bolts and some Bondo to fill the holes. If you ever need to remove the cages you can dig out the Bondo but it will take ten to fifteen minutes per bolt. NYC messengers Bondo everything - crank bolts, stem bolts, seat bolt, you name it. That's why many of them ride fixed. Not much to steal on a fixie.
Old 05-07-09, 08:40 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 441 Posts
A ballbearing and superglue works too. You can use superglue solvent to get it out.
Old 05-07-09, 08:50 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Leave something made of conductive metal in a grounded spot on the bike - connected to a capacitor. The thief comes by to swipe it and - zap! Wet skivvies.
Old 05-07-09, 09:39 PM
nvr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was only a cheap $3 wire cage. I just didn't understand why they'd take that of all things. I wish I could use the allen bolt and ball bearing or bondo idea, but this is a 92 carbon/aluminum frame and it has bolts epoxied on so I need nuts. Maybe I'll just install a new cage and grind the corners off the nuts. If need be, I can cut a notch and use a screwdriver if I ever have to remove them. I park right next to the guard shack so this had to have happened between 4 (no guard) and 4:30 (when I come out). Could have been worse, they could have just taken my skewers (note to self...get locking skewers).
Old 05-07-09, 09:46 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
A ballbearing and superglue works too. You can use superglue solvent to get it out.
Awesome!
Old 05-07-09, 10:00 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
pair of pliers defeats filling in the head.
Old 05-07-09, 10:07 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AEO
pair of pliers defeats filling in the head.
Not on round head bolts. Nothing to grab onto.

Bondo and the BB/superglue tricks are good. So is filling the head with solder. Takes a flux remover to get it back out, but that's a 2 minute job and cheaper than pinned allen bolts.
Old 05-07-09, 10:13 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
for dome heads yeah, but the cylinder style is so easy to just grab with pliers.

I hear you can also do candle wax as well. just heat it to let the wax melt when you need to tighten it.
Old 05-07-09, 10:56 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nvr
I wish I could use the allen bolt and ball bearing or bondo idea, but this is a 92 carbon/aluminum frame and it has bolts epoxied on so I need nuts.
https://www.jerseycycles.com/images/zzz4.jpg

Last edited by xenologer; 05-07-09 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-08-09, 12:27 AM
JinbaIttai
P7 Fanboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe one allen and one torx head.
Old 05-08-09, 07:49 AM
thompsonpost

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
All torx. You beat me to it. Actually, torx can be used in a lot of applications. They are very hard metal as well.

Old 05-08-09, 07:55 AM
macdonwald

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I would chalk this one up to fluke, replace the cage, and go about my business.
Old 05-08-09, 08:11 AM
bizzz111

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like someone is building up a bike one piece at a time. So far he has a front wheel and a bottle cage. That's pretty much 99% of the way there, right?
Old 05-08-09, 08:46 AM
Fast Cloud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
Wtf? who steals a bottle cage?

That's what I'm screamin'...There isn't a bottle cage made that would be worth getting your ass kicked for messing with someones bike.
Old 05-08-09, 08:50 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by nvr
Well it happened again. The first time it happened I walked outside after work to find my wheel stolen. Being an impatient dummy I left the front wheel unlocked. Lesson learned, never repeated since. Today I'm unlocking my bike after work (which is at a rack right next to the guard shack), and I go to put my bottle in it's cage, but the cage is missing...??? I ride a Trek 2300 to commute and it's got nuts holding the cage on so someone out there was walking around with an 8mm socket. The lowlife didn't even have the decency to drop the nuts on the ground so now I have to go buy some more. I gave the bike a quick once over to make sure nothing else was missing, or loose, and just stuck the bottle in my jersey pocket. I guess I'll have to run a cable through the cage too from now on. Just a little pissed and venting...
The bottle cage theft sounds like a co-worker is playing a joke on you. Or worse.

Old 05-08-09, 08:56 AM
daxr

Bikes: 08 Giant Boulder, 08 Scattante XLR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reminds me of a line from Silence of the Lambs: "Tell me, Clarice, what do people covet?" and the answer - they covet what they see every day.

Maybe its some guy that walks by where you park the bike every night, which would explain why he'd have the right tool to snag your cage. He may have been planning that for days. I'd find another place to park it, or even better bring it inside with you (my road bike lives in my bedroom) - your bar tape could be next.
Old 05-08-09, 09:04 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Can you lock it someplace else? Did you say it was near a guard station? What's up witht hat? Where's the guard? Maybe the guard knows the person? Why not talk to the guards and tell them what's been happening.
Old 05-08-09, 11:09 AM
gholt

Bikes: 2004 Giant OCR, 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2008 Trek 6500 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could put another bottle cage and then coat it with that ink they sometimes use to put on coins to see who steals it. Then after the thief takes it his hands turn blue.

It iwll take him some time to get it off next time, but you will then have to add another bottle cage that you only use.
Old 05-08-09, 12:22 PM
MWPdx

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Can you lock it someplace else? Did you say it was near a guard station? What's up witht hat? Where's the guard? Maybe the guard knows the person? Why not talk to the guards and tell them what's been happening.
Your wheel and bottle cage are in the guard station! :-P