Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

My girlfriend and I are looking to do our first bike tour.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-18, 04:38 PM
rjw1289

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My girlfriend and I are looking to do our first bike packing tour together this upcoming May, 2019. Im reaching out to see if anyone has any good suggestions on where we should head. We live in the US but preferably would like to explore South America, Colombia? We're looking for any routes that head through towns to get a Hostel and do a little camping along the way also. We have read about Oh Boyaca but are wondering about other routes people have done. Looking to spend roughly 2 weeks or 2.5 on this trip. Any information or route suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 12-29-18, 05:45 PM
BlarneyHammer

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I did a long tour involving South America. Mostly on road though, so I'm not a big help.

There's always the Carretera Austral. It's out there enough to feel like bikepacking, and while it's a road, it's mostly unpaved. You'll come to a town once or twice a day, half of which have a hostel, and finding free camping is easy. At 1,240 km, it's just about the perfect length for y'all, depending how fast you move. I kind of had a love-hate relationship with it at the time (I'm a wimp in the cold, especially when cold and wet), but it's some of the most memorable and rewarding riding I've done. On an off-road bike, it'd be more enjoyable.
The biggest problem is time of year. May in the southern hemisphere is like November in the north, and the Carretera Austral is far south. Think about whether or not you'd want to do a bike tour in Canada around Thanksgiving. Not only will it be cold, possibly snowing, the hours of daylight will be short. If that doesn't sound appealing, either change the date or go somewhere else.

If you decide to stay in the US, the Arizona Trail could be a good choice. It's about the right length, and won't be too hot in May, especially in the hills at higher elevations.

The Baja Divide in Mexico would be hot in May, but probably do-able, especially if you're young. If you're from the south or southwest, it'd be uncomfortable, but manageable. If you're from the north, that liquid coming out of your skin is called "sweat."

Colombia, Ecuador, and parts of Peru are all excellent places to ride, but I was mostly on pavement, so I can't help you with routes.

That's all I got. Good luck!
Old 12-29-18, 08:13 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
whenever someone asks about trips far off, with really no idea of what travelling and or bike touring experience the two of you have, I always recommend going to the cgoab site and looking specifically for trip journals for the area you are interested in.
You may find lots of info, including all the necessary details of visas, vaccines, routes, etc etc, and at least you can read some first hand accounts from real cyclists who haave gone through x or y area.
Ive lived and travelled in latin america, but not s america, but at least be realistic about the various aspects of travelling in this part of the world, re safety and proper preparation.

good luck in your research and assessing if this is somewhre you would really travel in.
Likes For djb:
Old 12-29-18, 09:57 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Baja Divide is supposed to be good, but will be really hot in May. Maybe Texas Hill Country Route? I haven’t done either, but have looked into both. I’m riding the Katy Trail in May if all goes as planned, which would be a great starter route.
Old 12-29-18, 11:20 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by rjw1289
r this upcoming May, 2019.

Thanks!
You might consider the Flint Hills of Kansas. The grass should be a bright lime green with the new growth. You would probably see them burn the dead stuff off as a bonus. There is a window of opportunity at that time of year to see it at it's best.
Old 12-30-18, 12:13 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My girlfriend and I are looking to do our first bike packing tour together this upcoming May, 2019. Im reaching out to see if anyone has any good suggestions on where we should head. We live in the US but preferably would like to explore South America, Colombia? We're looking for any routes that head through towns to get a Hostel and do a little camping along the way also. We have read about Oh Boyaca but are wondering about other routes people have done. Looking to spend roughly 2 weeks or 2.5 on this trip. Any information or route suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Everyone who has been there tends to speakhighly of South America, and Columbia has gone from ano go zone to one just peeking attourism as a meansof recovery. My instinct - and I’m as unreliable as everyone else who has posted here - is to say scratch the itch, but do so with lots of research. You’ll need all the shots, be aware of no go zones and, above all, be prepared to stay in decent hotels if that’s what the locals and embassies recommend. You should also get sufficient health care to cover flying you out in the event of an emergency. When you budget the trip, double it and putthe money in different accounts.
Old 12-30-18, 05:29 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
My girlfriend and I are looking to do our first bike packing tour together....

for better advice, maybe give a little background info.

what cycling/touring experience do you and she have? have you and she ever taken a similar vacation together....two weeks backpacking, for example?
Old 12-30-18, 08:18 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hey saddlesores, while I don’t necessarily agree with most of the advice here, because, in the end, the suck it and see approach works as well as any, plus the mistakes you make you won’t again, I take it you’re coming in from the preserving the relationship angle, which is logical and possibly the best advice.

On another matter, I note you are based in Bangkok part of the time. I’m in Thailand once or twice a year, so if you want to meet someone who enjoys cycling in Bangkok despite the obvious risks, give me a hoy..
Old 12-30-18, 09:19 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
First trip? Stay local. Do lots of research. Maps etc. Adventure cycling and rail to trials are a good start. Bike experience? Fix it skills? Bike and bags you are using? Habla espanol?
Old 12-30-18, 11:06 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
First trip? Stay local. Do lots of research. Maps etc. Adventure cycling and rail to trials are a good start. Bike experience? Fix it skills? Bike and bags you are using? Habla espanol?
+1 Leebo.

Stay local and do a several-day shakedown tour before you head off into the unknown.
Old 12-30-18, 12:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
1st bike tour , might be best to do it in your own country first..

Give a tout to the Oregon Coast ,,

My LBS out here, takes in shipped bikes and holds or assembles them according to your markings on the carton..

Bus from Portland serves the North Coast county.. TriMet serves the airport..

Old 12-30-18, 01:21 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
When I plan to go someplace new, if my plan includes staying at hostels, one of the first parts of my planning phase is to identify where the hostels are.

I have had the best luck with HI Hostels
https://www.hihostels.com/explore

But not all hostels are on the HI system.
https://www.hostelworld.com/

I have not been to South America so I have nothing else useful to add.
Old 12-30-18, 03:18 PM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Nah, where’s the interest in that.,? You might as well cycle fifty times round your own back yard then set ul tent in the middle of the lawn.

IFix it skills? Best doing that when the event occurs, there’s usually someone who can help.
Old 12-30-18, 04:10 PM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if this was your girlfriend idea you'll have a great time but if was yours it had better be a super trip or your in big trouble.
just joking enjoy every pedal stroke ,no idea where you shoud go i'm on the other side of the planet (probably in more ways than one ).
Old 12-30-18, 05:32 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I've been in Boyaca but I'm not a bikepacker. I did a bit of riding on paved roads around Villa de Lleva, and hiked in cloud forest & paramo in gorgeous Iguaque sanctuary which is along the Oh Boyaca route. The region is beautiful. There are a couple of additional things that you should be aware of: Rainfall varies a fair bit throughout the year, and May is a relatively wet month in Boyaca on average. Jan/Feb and July/August are generally the driest months. I spent about 10 days between Bogota and San Gil in late January and had zero rain. Also, there is enormous altitude variation including a section over ~4,000m/~13,400 ft on the Oh Boyaca route. Some people get altitude sickness, esp. above 3,000m/10,000ft, and it's difficult to predict who will and who won't suffer from altitude. It doesn't seem to be correlated to fitness level. I hiked up to 12,400 ft/3,800m in Iguaque sanctuary with no ill effects. I previously biked nearly that high elsewhere without feeling sick at all, but I definitely get short of breath above 10,000 ft.
Old 12-30-18, 05:43 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Good for you two and make every mile/kilometer one you love as much as each other.
Old 12-30-18, 06:32 PM
DanBell

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Colombia is a good choice. Cycling is very popular and I found the drivers to be courteous and respectful towards cyclists. The roads are good, accommodation and food are cheap, and the people are amazingly friendly. If you start from Bogota you'll be going downhill to leave the city. Better than slogging uphill through major traffic for sure. Ecuador is also nice, as is Chile, although Chile is quite expensive if you are near population centers.

I have really mixed feelings about Peru. The food is amazing, people are really nice, and the culture and history are spectacular. It's amazing in so many ways. All that being said, I think it's the most dangerous place to cycle of any country I've been to because of the absolutely awful drivers. Everyone in Peru believes they own the road and your obligation is to get the hell out of their way. Several times a day I had terrifying moments with cars passing too close, oncoming traffic passing another car with no shoulder forcing me off the road, cars coming across the center line on blind curves, the list goes on and on, and almost everyone does it literally constantly. This occurs in both high traffic areas and on lightly traveled roads in the countryside. Even walking around cities you take your life in your hands just crossing the road as no driver thinks you should be in the crosswalk, green light for pedestrians be damned. It got to the point that I was so frustrated and stressed out on the roads that despite the wonderful experiences I had in Peru, I was so happy to leave the country, and I don't think I'll ever go back.

Colombia or Chile are good choices I think. For Chile you can fly into Santiago (amazing city) then take a bus down south to ride the Carretera Austral as mentioned above.
Old 12-30-18, 06:36 PM
jargo432

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ogre, Steamroller

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
book to read

Read "The road that has no end" By Tim Travis. He and his wife toured through there and wrote a few books about it.
Old 12-30-18, 06:53 PM
rjw1289

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies. Sorry it has taken me a few days to respond, been busy at work. I know one of the questions was what is our cycling ability. We both are every day bikers whether its road or mountain. We live in Summit County Colorado so are biking is not easy. We live at 9600 feet and our mountain bike rides consist of anywhere from 15-30 miles a day and roughly anywhere from 3-5000 vertical feet gain. Our road rides can range widely from 20-90 miles in a stretch with lots of vertical gain too. We've done races together and my GF has done multiple triathlon's. However, we have never biked packed but feel the need to do so. All the information has been useful!!!!! Anyone have any pdf maps of rides or other links? Any gear information???
Old 12-30-18, 06:58 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
She like Camping?

Originally Posted by avole

Nah, where’s the interest in that.,? You might as well cycle fifty times round your own back yard then set ul tent in the middle of the lawn.

IFix it skills? Best doing that when the event occurs, there’s usually someone who can help.

you sort out things you carry as to whether you really used them, or if they were just dead weight..

OP fluent in Spanish ? how do you say' I need a chain tool, mine is broken.' ?. (an issue that befell my friend in the broad expanses of the Argentine Pampas..

look up https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-01-19 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-30-18, 07:17 PM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Why would I need a chain tool? I mean, it ´s not as though chains need adjusting or break that easily, plus, unless you are in the middle of a desert, usually there are other forms of human life to ask, And for that question you have plenty of alternatives anyway - pointing at the broken chain, using mime etc.

Now, asking for a bidet, that’s something ! Easy to mime but....

Also, the smartphone equipped with Translate has revolutionised the whole language thing.
Old 12-30-18, 07:22 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Anyone have any pdf maps of rides or other links? Any gear information???
Here's a link to a Colombian-based outfitter which offers a couple of multi-day mountain bike tours, both in the same region of Colombia as your Oh Boyaca route. I have no knowledge about the company. I came upon their site a while back when I was looking for paved road touring ideas in Colombia for my own tour. Their mountain bike routes appear to have a lot less up-and-down compared to the Oh Boyaca route you mentioned.

https://www.bicitravel.co/dirt-road-cycling-tours

Last edited by axolotl; 12-30-18 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-30-18, 08:34 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Thanks!
My advice is to stay inside the US or at least Canada for the first tour. My first tour was international in Italy. While I would not say it was a disater, it certainly did not come near any of my other trips. With the long distance to get there, the cultural differences, language etc it really added to the stress. Your brain just isn't working right. A little bit of less stressful experience helps you build your decision making skills when under those factors.

Your trip to South America very well could be a fantastic experience that you will remember forever. But it could also be a disaster that you will dread forever.. I am guessing you are young? You have many more years for adventure. Why not start out small.

A couple of suggestions. For a super easy no stress trip, there is the Great Allegheny Passage / C&O trails. Not super exciting but still pretty and it certainly does not get much easier. If yppu get lost on that tour then you probably should not be venturing out of your neighborhood.

The Selkirk Loop north of Spokane. They are roads but if there were any less cars it would be a bike trail. Towns are small but all within an easy reach of a day's ride of one another.

For a bit of adventure you have this.. .

Near Spokane is the Couer D'Alene and The Route of the Hiawatha Bike Trails. You can do that as a part of the same trip as the Slekirk Loop trip or as a stanalone trip. There is a nice loop that incorporates the Route of the Hiawtha Trail that leaves and returns to Spokane.

https://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov...coeur-d-alenes

Route of the Hiawatha (Official Website) > The Trail

Old 12-31-18, 01:19 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
My advice is to stay inside the US or at least Canada for the first tour. My first tour was international in Italy. While I would not say it was a disater, it certainly did not come near any of my other trips. With the long distance to get there, the cultural differences, language etc it really added to the stress. Your brain just isn't working right. A little bit of less stressful experience helps you build your decision making skills when under those factors.

Your trip to South America very well could be a fantastic experience that you will remember forever. But it could also be a disaster that you will dread forever
That is utter nonsense. Sure, every trip may not be wonderful, and in fact on one of mine I ended up in hospital, but before the slight accident it was great. Even the time in hospital with no-one who spoke English was good, thanks to translate plus mime, and, apart from being knocked out by the painkillers and numerous tests when food arrived, it taught me a lot about local customs and cuisine, not to mention that health care was as good as that in our civilised western countries. Also, having obviously shortened the trip, I found some idyllic spots close to my hotel..

Cultural differences?? Isn’t that part of the point ? Isn’t it also the best way to learn and bring back something to our own homes? I mean, we all share the same planet, so shouldn’t we try to understand that, and share, not destroy? Understanding other cultures is surely part of this. Sorry, but you sound a bit like the stereotypical American of satiric novels, not the friends I have here. Where is the « can do » attitude many of us admire?

As you may have gathered I’m a keen environmentalist, as I guess many of us are, who comes from the island that has now decided to leave the rest of the world alone, which it will do at the end of march. You try living with and explaining that. I know that’s a fanciful extrapollation from your post, but it does hint towards the consequences of such a conservative attitude.
Old 12-31-18, 07:46 AM
msbiker

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out bikepacking.com for bikpacking routes around the world with gps files.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.