Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Did someone really throw something at me?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Did someone really throw something at me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 01:00 PM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vexxer
Had a full can of budweiser chucked at me last year, missed by a mile, thankfully.
Good thing you didn't get any on you!
Old 05-09-16, 01:35 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
One incident that I've probably written about before is memorable for cognitive dissonance... a Ford Exploder full of idle layabouts stopped next to me and the yahoo in the back seat yelled "They went that way, Lance!"

I was in shorts, sandals, tee shirt on my MTB.

shruggity
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-09-16, 01:37 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by kevindsingleton
Well, we've done everything we possibly can to ensure that morals are expelled from society, so this shouldn't come as a surprise.
The dollar buys a nickel's worth, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-09-16, 01:49 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FullGas
had a carload of high school girls pass me and one leaned out and slapped my ass...almost put me into a guard rail at 20 mph.

but, based on the shrieking that followed, I think she may have broken her wrist.

love that instant karma stuff.
Buns of Steel! I meant firmness, not weight.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 05-09-16, 04:44 PM
bransom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vexxer
Had a full can of budweiser chucked at me last year, missed by a mile, thankfully.
The thrower probably popped the can and took a sip, gagged, and promptly pitched it out the window. You had the misfortune of being nearby during another taste test of Bud.
Old 05-09-16, 04:46 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got hit in the face with a golfball sized rock thrown by someone in the middle of a busy hip neighborhood last week, and when I posted about it on the local FB cycling group, almost 20 people replied with similar stories. Garbage, bottles, rocks, the list goes on. People are dicks.
Old 05-10-16, 01:11 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The dollar buys a nickel's worth, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it.
Trump will fix it. He's going to make America great again!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. LOL!!

Unfortunately, You're right. Until all parents teach their children about respect for people and property, there probably is no end in sight of the unending stream of idiotic a**hole$ out there.

Last edited by Cyclist0084; 05-10-16 at 04:05 AM.
Old 05-10-16, 10:06 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bransom
The thrower probably popped the can and took a sip, gagged, and promptly pitched it out the window. You had the misfortune of being nearby during another taste test of Bud.

So that is why it's always cheap beer cans/bottles I see littering the side of the street. Haven't come across any good ones yet!
Old 05-10-16, 10:29 AM
LowlifeGorilla

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a half eaten piece of fried chicken thrown at me by a homeless man the other day. Considering I've only been commuting by bike for 2 months I am ahead of the curve.
Old 05-10-16, 11:06 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Yesterday riding home I had a pickup come up behind and the passenger leans out the window and screams to scare me. I flipped him off of course and he yells back to get the ef' off the road. A block up is a red light. I cruise up and it's four kids looking back and starting to panic as I pull up alongside, passenger tries rolling his window up. I ease by and tell him that's a good move rolling his window up. A few words exchanged, driver and other passengers are trying to disappear. Light turns green, I pedal across and as they start to get close I ease over and sure enough, passenger tries to spit on me. Misses of course. I look up and two blocks down is another red light. They see it and the driver panics and makes a hard left turn onto a side street squealing tires and I hear them racing away.
Old 05-10-16, 06:47 PM
VeniVidiVici

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
One incident that I've probably written about before is memorable for cognitive dissonance... a Ford Exploder full of idle layabouts stopped next to me and the yahoo in the back seat yelled "They went that way, Lance!"

I was in shorts, sandals, tee shirt on my MTB.

shruggity
I've got to admit I find this one to be pretty hilarious!
Old 05-11-16, 09:18 PM
molten

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not enuff Californians on this chat.
Old 05-11-16, 09:51 PM
Hot Potato

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To really show the opposite ends of the spectrum, I was lagging behind the group ride on the way back to the bike shop, clearly suffering and struggling, and was being dropped. Just as I succumbed to despair, a school bus full of chearleaders from the High school right next to the bike shop ends up in traffic right next to me. They all lean out the windows and start cheering me on. Hey, they were cheerleaders, they knew how to cheer! Well, one can not just give up with that going on, and I manage to keep the group ride in sight. The group is chatting and stretching in the parking lot as I round the corner with a bus load of young laidies carrying on like I was scoring the winnig goal for the state championship. I just glided on up as if it happens to me all the time.
Old 05-11-16, 10:22 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfhaven
Yesterday riding home I had a pickup come up behind and the passenger leans out the window and screams to scare me. I flipped him off of course and he yells back to get the ef' off the road. A block up is a red light. I cruise up and it's four kids looking back and starting to panic as I pull up alongside, passenger tries rolling his window up. I ease by and tell him that's a good move rolling his window up. A few words exchanged, driver and other passengers are trying to disappear. Light turns green, I pedal across and as they start to get close I ease over and sure enough, passenger tries to spit on me. Misses of course. I look up and two blocks down is another red light. They see it and the driver panics and makes a hard left turn onto a side street squealing tires and I hear them racing away.
Had an almost identical experience a few weeks back. Funny how bold people are when they think they will never have to encounter you again, but they shrivel up and hide from a true confrontation. Fun to scare kids a bit from messing with cyclists, though!
Old 05-12-16, 02:59 AM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
These are awful! It makes me wonder if this is why there is always broken glass on the paved path along the small hwy here...thinking of its placement now though, its almost across from the high school. Thankfully iv not had anything thrown at me...just horns that scare the crap out of me lol
Old 05-12-16, 06:54 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,873 Times in 3,161 Posts
Rocks, bottles, paper cups, fists. Nothing in the last decade or so, but I also now live and ride in an extremely wealthy, educated, and liberal area. They just try to flick me off the road with their Land Rovers.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 05-12-16 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-12-16, 10:04 AM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've had water squirted at me a couple of times by teens who thought it was funny.
Old 05-12-16, 04:02 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I guess I'm lucky. All I get is friendly waves, so far.
Old 05-12-16, 04:12 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
If they banned pickup trucks, I think almost all issues would go away.
This!
Old 05-12-16, 04:57 PM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by molten
Not enuff Californians on this chat.
Realizing I'm paying a premium for more than just the great weather.
Old 05-13-16, 12:44 AM
jkcrowell

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I'm a Californian, and I've had a large Gatorade bottle thrown at me (us). Thankfully the people were as bad with their aim as with their character.
Old 05-13-16, 03:01 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
[QUOTE=IndianaRecRider;18754758]Trump will fix it. He's going to make America great again!!

Okay, I know there is a big movement in USA right now saying if Trump is elected you will all come to Canada. Please stop off at my home in Ottawa to visit.
Old 05-13-16, 03:18 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
3 times only this year.
first was a ****** with a porsche cayenne , he trow me a cigarette but i was not hitted.
second time an idiot trow a bunch of paper (something such as a big paper ball , i have no idea why the hell people has trash like this inside)
Last time in the middle of the city a guy in the passenger seat trow a cigarette and hit my arm , i pumped up my legs and when the could i put my arm in his windows limit and i tell him "Next time don't trow **** on my face", he said sorry and the other guy who was driving smile to me and quickened his speed.

I'm not a a calm/pacific guy , i pretend respect since i respect others and if someone is looking for trouble i'll unlock my helmet and beat it to his face .
Old 05-14-16, 10:41 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few decades ago I had an apple ( missed ) thrown at me. a couple of years ago, a drink of some sort with a lot of ice, again it missed . Outside of that it's been verbal abuse tossed in my direction, ignored so guess it missed me as well.