Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

My new Salsa and a quick review. Looking for ideas and a couple upgrades.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-12, 03:07 PM
evand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK well here is my new Salsa Casseroll. I just put my first ride on it. 20 miles. I love the geometry and ride on this bike. I am very very highly impressed and surprised by this bike. The frame and tires suck up vibration and bumps like a moutain bike. Smooth, fast and comfy ride. Hop up a curb not a problem at all.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now this dislikes. The shifting and brakes are not up to current standards. The shifting is adequate at best. The feel and lag is shifting are noticable. Brakes are not that great. I am going to have make a upgrade here. I was thinking better brifters are first and brake pads.

Ok and last but least. I need a proper front bag and LED lighting that matches the bikes styling. Does anyone have any suggestions on a grey and black leather trimmed front rack bag and a polished alum head and taillight.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have a b17, frame pump and bottle cage on order. I would hate to put a cheap plastic blinky on this bike.
Old 05-28-12, 04:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
As far as shifting and braking , you may need help of a better mechanic,
making the adjustments to make what you have work to it's best..

not so much upgrades, but you still need to fit Pannier Racks and Mudguards at least..

personally I like my Hub Dynamo and wired lighting , myself..
Old 05-28-12, 05:11 PM
VT_Speed_TR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love my Casseroll, just did a 4 day credit card tour along the coast of Maine last weekend.

I've not had the issue you mention with shifting, though I did have to adjust the shifters after 500 due to cable streach. Nothing unusual with that though. I have really started to love brifters, vs the bar end shifters on my Fargo. Each ahve their pos. and neg.

As far as brakes, I replaced the front canti's with a set the wide set canti's and some Kool Stop pads. much better now. Could go really high end with Paul's, but I found just the chaep $30 wide set improved the braking. perhaps when I have more money I'll try Paul's

I Have this bag mounted on the front rack and have been very happy with it
https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...lebar-bag.html

I have replace the small front chainring with a 24 to help with hill climbing. My get a different cassette for touring, but after my tour last week, just the front ring switch helped, so unless its really hilly, I'll keep the close ratio cassette. i really like being able to keep a nice rythm going and this bike is great for that.
The casseroll is a great bike, enjoy

Last edited by VT_Speed_TR; 05-28-12 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-28-12, 11:53 PM
threecarjam

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No ideas on a front light, but if you don't mind dropping a chunk of money for a great, front bag, an Acorn Boxy Rando Bag would fit very nicely on that front rack, and free up your handlebar space for other stuff.

https://acornbags.com/boxybag.html

And for a rear light, for a reasonably cheap battery operated light you could do worse than a Soma Silver Bullet, which will mount to any rack/fender eyelet on your dropouts or seatstays.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...4&category=105
Old 05-29-12, 06:21 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've got the same Casseroll but just bought the frame and had it built with my own selection of parts. That said, you shouldn't be having shifting and braking problems if your LBS set up everything right. I put inexpensive Tektro 720 brakes on mine and quickly replaced the stock pads with Kool Stops, which made a huge difference.

If you want a front bag designed to fit your Casseroll front rack, check out the Zimbale bags, which come in black or olive green with brown leather trim. They also make nice seatbags that are basically knockoffs of Carradice bags.

https://store.zimbalenorthamerica.com...ex/10114.0.1.1
Old 05-29-12, 12:35 PM
evand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm I wonder if these brakes would work with the salsa front rack?
https://www.paulcomp.com/neoretro.html

I wonder if these would fit the stock brakes
https://www.koolstop.com/english/v_typeholder.html

Before I grab one of these front bags the rando small
https://builtbyswift.com/

I am gonna try dialing in the shifting tonight.
Old 05-29-12, 02:17 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
I'm assuming the brakes are adjusted properly.)

Tektro Oryx Cantilevers, Silver -> the stock pads are not so good in the wet. Change the brake pads to something like the Koolstop salmons.

Shimano Tiagra, 3 x 9 STI -> I have these on my touring bike and I like them a lot. What are you comparing them to? And what are the numbers on the cassette and crank you were using with what you are comparing them to?

The Cassarole is spec'd with a 12-25 cassette, which should not be slow to shift (wider cassettes are a bit slower).

The crank is 26-36-48T, which could be slower (compared to a standard road double 42/39-52 or any double).

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/casseroll/

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-29-12 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-29-12, 06:10 PM
positron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a weird seat.
Old 05-29-12, 07:46 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I assume this is the "build kit."

If so, I for one wasn't blown away by the Tektro Oryx brakes. Avid Shorty 4's are a good and affordable alternative.

Shifting should be fine if adjusted properly. I've used Tiagra with good results over the years. Also AFAIK they haven't made 105 for 9-speed in a few years. So, you might as well stick with what you've got.

Any bike needs some adjustment after the initial few hundred miles. That will probably fix a few problems anyway.

If I were you, I'd save money for the tour, rather than spend it on the bike...
Old 05-30-12, 03:54 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
personally I like my Hub Dynamo and wired lighting , myself..
Another vote for a hub dynamo and lightening. I have a Busch & Muller Lumotec ICQ on my Surly Long Haul Trucker as one example of the way you could go.

Nice bike BTW

Regards
Andrew