Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Solution for tingling hands?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-12, 09:26 AM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Bikes: A few bikes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After I'm on the bike for awhile especially after rough fast descents, my hands get numb and tingly. I probably grip the bars too tight but what other things can cause this? Remedies? Thanks
Old 07-12-12, 09:48 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
The only solution for me is to ride more and always try to improve my circulation. I did move my seat forward an inch. That gave me a bit more upright position. Helped some. On the downhills I try to balance on my feet more than my seat and keep my butt behind or near behind the seat. Moving the seat forward an inch also helps with getting behind the seat on descents.

When I do take a break, it looks like I am signalling a helicopter or something. Lots of hand waving over my head. Glove thickness has never helped me.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 07-12-12, 01:04 PM
pablosnazzy

Bikes: rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if you have a really long stem that is really low, that could cause you to put pressure on your hands, which make them tingle. shorter stem, maybe a riser stem, a riser handlebar. if that doesn't work, ergon grips are pretty sweet and help a lot if you have wrist/hand issues.
https://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/home#
Old 07-12-12, 01:21 PM
when

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pablosnazzy
ergon grips are pretty sweet and help a lot if you have wrist/hand issues.
https://www.ergon-bike.com/us/en/home#
This, plus go get a bike fit.
Old 07-12-12, 01:25 PM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. One of my friends suggested carbon bars. I can't see that helping too much plus they're expensive. I'll try adjusting my riding position and style before I buy anything. I'm riding a hardtail so I'm already off the seat during descents.
Old 07-12-12, 01:34 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
B6 & B12 improve circulation
Old 07-13-12, 12:24 AM
Greyryder
Powerful-Ugly Creature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That tingling "hands going to sleep" feeling has nothing to do with circulation. It's caused by nerves getting pinched off. Move you seat forward, move your bars back and/or up, or do some combination thereof. A death grip on the bars isn't going to help either. That's just more pressure on your palms. I've been gripping my bars way to tight since I went to my current grips. I think it has something to do with them being so thick. Gonna switch over to the same grips I have my other bike.
Old 07-13-12, 07:53 AM
pablosnazzy

Bikes: rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greyryder
... I've been gripping my bars way to tight since I went to my current grips. I think it has something to do with them being so thick. ...
that sounds kind of odd, unless i misunderstand. usually people put thicker grips on because they are more comfortable and you don't have to grip as tight as you would on thinner grips....
Old 07-14-12, 12:14 AM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
HiRise bars with a short stem. Puts all that weight back on your butt and off your ulnar nerves.
Old 07-14-12, 09:26 AM
Pete In Az

Bikes: Raleigh Venture 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is from the road forum, but it's got some good information.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...905-Numb-Hands
Old 07-15-12, 08:13 PM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When figuring out a fit, should I base it off my road bikes fit? I know hand positions are more limited on a flat bar vs drops so I have to take that into account
Old 07-16-12, 11:43 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
IMO, there is a substantial difference in the posture for riding MTB vs RB. Pete's post does have good info. Your observation is also important. Flats vs drops and the posture and hand position is different. For me, the general XC position is more upright on trails that an aerodynamic position on the pavement. When you need to scoot your butt back for a descent you need room fast. The info on the ulnar nerve is helpful to me and I have made some conscious adjustments. I was also watching some footage from the UCI XC competitions. Many riders switch their hand positions to the outside of the grips as if they had barends on flatter ground. This would take pressure off the outside edges of the hand. For downhills I don't know any other way than to grip and go with my butt over the rear disc.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 07-16-12, 11:55 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pablosnazzy
that sounds kind of odd, unless i misunderstand. usually people put thicker grips on because they are more comfortable and you don't have to grip as tight as you would on thinner grips....
A grip too thick and/or cushy for particular hands is a common contributor to hand fatigue and arm-pump.
Old 07-16-12, 05:13 PM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Road and MTB fit are going to be different because the bike styles are so different. I had my road bike fit first as I had the most discomfort riding it. I actually had no discomfort on my MTB. I then had the measurements transferred to my MTB (namely saddle height, fore/aft). My stem length on the MTB was good for MTB/offroad position--we really couldn't duplicate the cockpit distance because road and MTB bikes are so different.

Anyway, something to look at: I started to have numb hands like you after longer bumpy technical descents. I didn't death grip but had switched gloves. My new Pearl Izumi gel gloves were actually putting pressure spots on my palms. Bad design--like humps that pushed on my nerves. I didn't have any probs with my old regular padded gloves and have since gone back to that style. Look at your gloves, maybe that is one of the issues.
Old 07-16-12, 05:47 PM
spldart
Extreme novice XD

Bikes: Mongoose Impasse. 29", Dual susp, Dual BB7 185/160 etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was gonna ask about this too... And why is hand tingling circulation problems so much worse in the morning than the evening. Never got that. Suppossedly the blood pressure is higher in the mornings and lessons through the day iirc.
Old 07-20-12, 06:38 AM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I picked up new grips and after my replacement rd hanger bolt shows up, I'll report back with my findings. Thanks for the input gents
Old 07-21-12, 08:40 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
carbon bars will kill a lot of buzz, but I'm not convinced that vibration is your main problem.
Old 07-22-12, 10:36 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
If your problems don't get better with the new grips, I'd first look at your placement on the bike and how that affects the weight on your hands. If you're not putting an unusual amount of weight on your hands, and perhaps it's just something about your nerve placement in particular, I would suggest trying the Ergon grips. I've got GP1s. I just happened to get them right away when I got into MTBing, not because I had tingling, but they are really comfortable. And the weight on your hands is definitely more distributed with them than on my road bike bars or my commuter with regular grips. I plan to probably use them for all flat bar bikes I own in the future. They feel a tiny bit weird at first if you're standing high over the bars and wrap your fingers really far around, but you'll find quickly that you get just as much grip on the bars as with any other grip. It's just that you're used to feeling completely round bars in your hands compared to the flat shape on the back of the Ergons.