Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Which frame/fork combo for a fast commuter?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 09:00 PM
badgnome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I was going to put more emphasis on components for this build so wanted to keep the frame and fork to less than $400. This is going to be the fast commuter and not the workhorse which means no fenders, kickstand, or rack (all of these are on my Trek 520). So far I see Scattante, Motobecane and Ridley. How do these compare?
Old 03-26-13, 11:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the Ridley is probably well over $400, so you have the sight unseen catalog bikes .
Performance or BD .. (You, can't test ride either)

is the motor fast? it's not about the bike , then..

onto the touting 'what I got' posts ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-27-14 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-27-13, 08:31 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a used triathlon bike and fitted rack, fenders and everything. It's slower than a regular triathlon bike but still a lot faster than a regular commuting bike.
Old 03-27-13, 09:02 AM
Chesha Neko

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For a derailleur bike build I would be looking at a Soma ES frame, but it's a bit above $400 for the frame and fork combo.
Old 03-27-13, 10:17 AM
GregTR

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badgnome
I was going to put more emphasis on components for this build so wanted to keep the frame and fork to less than $400. This is going to be the fast commuter and not the workhorse which means no fenders, kickstand, or rack (all of these are on my Trek 520). So far I see Scattante, Motobecane and Ridley. How do these compare?
Do you already have the components? Why build? Buying the whole package is a far better deal. If you want to build for the sake of building I understand but it makes no economic sense.
Old 03-27-13, 10:52 AM
Breathegood

Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you looking for race bike geometry or a more performance oriented recreational/touring bike? I wouldn't rule out accomodations for at least a rear rack on any bike I planned to commute on. Whether you actually put a rack on it is another story, but I know that if I CAN'T put a rack on it, I'm not likely to ride it to work.

Test ride as many bikes as you can, and try to determine the most comfortable size and geometry for you. Pick the frame that best fits that criteria. All the build components and brand should be a secondary consideration to fit and comfort.
Old 03-27-13, 11:22 AM
badgnome

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GregTR
Do you already have the components? Why build? Buying the whole package is a far better deal. If you want to build for the sake of building I understand but it makes no economic sense.
I ordered Campy Centaur from the UK. Hopefully I will be able to build at bike with this at about the price of a complete 105 bike from a LBS.

Luckily we have Frankenbike in my town where I can get some good parts for cheap. I also have some Neuvation wheels already with Campy 10 speed rear hub.
Old 03-27-13, 11:26 AM
badgnome

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Breathegood
Are you looking for race bike geometry or a more performance oriented recreational/touring bike? I wouldn't rule out accomodations for at least a rear rack on any bike I planned to commute on. Whether you actually put a rack on it is another story, but I know that if I CAN'T put a rack on it, I'm not likely to ride it to work.

Test ride as many bikes as you can, and try to determine the most comfortable size and geometry for you. Pick the frame that best fits that criteria. All the build components and brand should be a secondary consideration to fit and comfort.
Closer toward race bike geometry. I have a Trek 520 now with a long wheelbase and over 30 lbs of heft.

Point taken on the rear rack. That is certainly more important than fenders or kickstand.

Test rides might be hard unless it is something like a Surly which sells complete bikes as well as frame/fork combos and available locally.
Old 03-27-13, 11:40 AM
badgnome

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Soma ES looks nice but is too close to my 520. Looking for a aluminum bike partially because I've never had one before. Also because there are some aluminum Taiwan-made frames, e.g. Motobecane, that are very affordable and come with a carbon fork.
Old 03-27-13, 12:26 PM
Breathegood

Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Test rides might be hard unless it is something like a Surly which sells complete bikes as well as frame/fork combos and available locally.
Is there no LBS convienient for you? You don't necessarily need to ride the frame you ultimately want to buy, just ride several different bikes to get a feel for what geometry you really want. Ride a couple high end road bikes, a couple rec/touring bikes, and a CX if available and try to pay attention to what geometry works best for you. Then use those frame dimensions in deciding which frame to order.
Old 03-27-13, 12:48 PM
jcmkk3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately, you're not going to find too many options for aluminum frames beyond Nashbar, Performance and Bikeisland. I know that a lot of people get caught up on components, but really the frame makes the biggest difference in how a bike rides so it is worth investing more into. If I were after an aluminum frame, I would have Rock Lobster build me one. Paul is a well respected builder and his frames are very reasonably priced for custom. Some of the other few builders that still work with aluminum are Spooky and Gaulzetti, though they are way out of your budget.
Old 03-27-13, 12:53 PM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 69 Posts
Any generic aluminium frame with a generic carbon fork will get you what you need.

Check out the offerings from Nashbar.

Their aluminium touring or cyclocross frame plus carbon CX fork, $220 / $200.

Plenty of room for a wider tyre too.

I would go with Tektro CR 720 cantilever brakes on the set up with your Campy gruppo.
Old 03-27-13, 02:14 PM
GregTR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered Campy Centaur from the UK. Hopefully I will be able to build at bike with this at about the price of a complete 105 bike from a LBS.

Luckily we have Frankenbike in my town where I can get some good parts for cheap. I also have some Neuvation wheels already with Campy 10 speed rear hub.
Gotcha! Good luck with the build!

Originally Posted by jcmkk3
Unfortunately, you're not going to find too many options for aluminum frames beyond Nashbar, Performance and Bikeisland. I know that a lot of people get caught up on components, but really the frame makes the biggest difference in how a bike rides so it is worth investing more into.
I'd say tires make the biggest difference....

Originally Posted by Barchettaman
Any generic aluminium frame with a generic carbon fork will get you what you need.
Check out the offerings from Nashbar.
Their aluminium touring or cyclocross frame plus carbon CX fork, $220 / $200.
^ This!
Old 03-27-13, 03:46 PM
slowride454

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix - Soma Double Cross Disc - Pivot Mach 429SL - Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy - Specialized Carve SL - Trek Farley 7 - GT Dyno VFR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have one for sale cheap. Nashbar AL frame and full carbon fork with FSA headset. $150 + SHIPPING
Old 03-27-13, 09:48 PM
badgnome

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nashbar is a little on the low end considering it will be a campy centaur bike. Still I am sure the Nashbar frames are worth $150.......Ridleys look really nice in the pics.....Motobecane too. From what I heard Scattantes are made in China and Motobecanes are made in Taiwan. Anyone know about Ridley? Looks like a lot of these framesets include headsets which is definitely nice to see.
Old 03-27-13, 10:17 PM
badgnome

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This could fit the bill:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=90593
Old 03-27-13, 10:53 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Nashbar is a little on the low end considering it will be a campy centaur bike. Still I am sure the Nashbar frames are worth $150.......Ridleys look really nice in the pics.....Motobecane too. From what I heard Scattantes are made in China and Motobecanes are made in Taiwan. Anyone know about Ridley? Looks like a lot of these framesets include headsets which is definitely nice to see.
I'd skip the alu and just go carbon.

You can buy Taiwanese carbon frames on ebay for $300. Nashbar and Bikesdirect also sell Taiwanese carbon frames for $500-600 (with a warranty). Nashbar also sells $200 alu-carbon frames.

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...82_-1___202337

I have a bike built up around this frame and its lighter and more responsive than the older carbon frames I have from orbea and trek.
Old 03-28-13, 08:27 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
I'd skip the alu and just go carbon.

You can buy Taiwanese carbon frames on ebay for $300. Nashbar and Bikesdirect also sell Taiwanese carbon frames for $500-600 (with a warranty). Nashbar also sells $200 alu-carbon frames.

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...82_-1___202337

I have a bike built up around this frame and its lighter and more responsive than the older carbon frames I have from orbea and trek.
In the end, I probably agree w/ spare_wheel. Unless the aluminum frame/fork combo is highly engineered (i.e. Cannondale, Klein, or custom/small batch build), I don't love aluminum frames on road bikes. Too stiff, unforgiving, no panache.
In road frames, in general, I have a preference for CF or Ti (find an older litespeed frame/fork ?) or high end steel, even if older (pinarello, bianchi, peugot, etc).
My $.02.

Last edited by AusTexMurf; 03-28-13 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-28-13, 12:16 PM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

If the frame is too stiff just run a wider tyre. That's the great thing about the Nashbar CX or touring frame, plenty of clearance for sensible rubber.

I would not consider anything less than a 28 wide tyre for a commuter. Make mine (on my dream machine) Conti 4000s 700c28
Old 03-28-13, 01:45 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Why not just buy a cheap road bike on CL and use it as a commuter? Probably could find something faster than your touring bike, and it won't break the bank.
Old 03-29-13, 06:08 PM
xB_Nutt
Get on your bikes & ride!

Bikes: See signature (it varys day to day)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I built up a NOS early 2000 Cannondale CAAD 3 frame with a carbon Ritchey fork for my fast commuter. Took me a while to find one on eBay, but it was well worth the search. I have it built with Sram Rival, Ultegra/Open Pro wheels and 25c tires to smooth thing out a bit.
Old 03-31-13, 10:20 PM
badgnome

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm thinking either 25 or 28 tires on this bike, though I have never ridden the latter.

Found another 7005 series frame for not a lot. Anyone own a Motta frame/bike?

https://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sho...oad-frame.html
Old 04-01-13, 02:47 AM
Barchettaman

You'll absolutely love 700c-28 tyres.
my reaction on riding them for the first time was 'where have you been all my life'
Old 04-01-13, 06:46 AM
GregTR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride 700x28 gatorskins on my commuter and absolutely love them. Good stuff!
Old 04-04-13, 05:59 PM
badgnome

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
And the finalist are:

Ridley Tempo
Motobecane Vent Noir
Gianna Motta Primo
Kinesis Racelight T2
Scattante XRL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.