Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

question about my bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

question about my bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-19, 03:38 PM
ibanez350ex

Bikes: hybrid serious bike 56cm frame, not sure the model number though.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
question about my bike

hi, im 5foot 10inches tall and my hybrid bike is 56cm frame but it's a job to get leg over lol it's embarrassing. the top tube part is like a straight line ------- like that. lucky i only really use bike on my trainer mostly for zwift or virtugo or bike as a stationery exercise bike. im not really a cyclist but a distance runner who does bike stuff for its benefits towards running yeah. i was actually thinking of getting a new bike for outside but this time with the top tube sloping downwards to help get leg over lol it's strange im sure i heard of 5foot 8inches people going for 60cm frames, mine is 56cm it's just that position of tube that's bothering me. could that be took in to bike shop to get it lowered or sloped of would that damage the construction of it? thanks.
Old 03-11-19, 03:45 PM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ibanez350ex
hi, im 5foot 10inches tall and my hybrid bike is 56cm frame but it's a job to get leg over lol it's embarrassing. the top tube part is like a straight line ------- like that. lucky i only really use bike on my trainer mostly for zwift or virtugo or bike as a stationery exercise bike. im not really a cyclist but a distance runner who does bike stuff for its benefits towards running yeah. i was actually thinking of getting a new bike for outside but this time with the top tube sloping downwards to help get leg over lol it's strange im sure i heard of 5foot 8inches people going for 60cm frames, mine is 56cm it's just that position of tube that's bothering me. could that be took in to bike shop to get it lowered or sloped of would that damage the construction of it? thanks.
Instead of stepping over the top tube, have you tried swinging your leg over the saddle from the back. That is how it is typically done.
Old 03-11-19, 04:13 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
The bike sounds like an older one with a top level TT. For you height, depending on your inseam, you would likely fit a 54 or 56 cm. A more modern bike with a sloping TT might help you get your leg over the bar more easily, but like @chicagogal said, you could try swinging the leg over from the back. It's probably easier, either that or tilt the bike down low enough for you to get your leg over then lean it back upright again. I do that sometimes when my legs are sore or tight.
Old 03-11-19, 04:41 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Whether the bike is the proper size for you to mount easily is largely a function of leg length. You say you are 5'10" and have a 56cm bike. What does your inseam measure?

IME, mounting a bike while it is on a trainer is more difficult than mounting it outside. Outside, you can put one foot on a pedal and swing the other leg over the rear wheel, as mentioned above. On a trainer, putting a foot on a pedal first unbalances the trainer so you end up trying to start from the floor instead, which exacerbates any clearance issues.
Old 03-11-19, 05:36 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
put a platform or step stool at the side nearby the chainstay to help giddy-up on the saddle.
Old 03-11-19, 06:29 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
instead of having the bike in n upright position and trying to swing your leg over, lean the bike towards you as much as you want then pass your leg over the frame and now you can stand it up put your foot on the pedal at the angle or position and push off get on the seat whenever you're ready,,,,
Old 03-11-19, 06:48 PM
ibanez350ex

Bikes: hybrid serious bike 56cm frame, not sure the model number though.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks

hey thanks for the replies tips lol my inseam 32inches. i remember when my mate said 56cm frame ok for 5foot 8inches up to 6foot. im new to all this bike stuff lol i never rode a bike as a kid, only just recently as an adult but it took a few tries and fall in to the hedges a few times, i prefer the trail sort of riding, i dont quite trust being on the road yet.
Old 03-11-19, 06:52 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Use a hacksaw to remove a 12” section of the top tube and you should be all set.
But don’t forget to use an acetylene torch to fuse the jagged edges smooth where you cut the top tube.
Otherwise you could get a cut that could result in a dangerous infection.
Old 03-11-19, 10:17 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster

Use a hacksaw to remove a 12” section of the top tube and you should be all set.
But don’t forget to use an acetylene torch to fuse the jagged edges smooth where you cut the top tube.
Otherwise you could get a cut that could result in a dangerous infection.
downhill master you have a great sense of humor ! That is great.
Old 03-11-19, 10:57 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
put a platform or step stool at the side nearby the chainstay to help giddy-up on the saddle.
Try this.

My bike is 1 1/2" higher in the trainer than when on the floor.
Old 03-15-19, 08:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Wifey was having trouble with this & I got her a preowned Trek FX Stagger. easy peasy

Old 03-15-19, 09:31 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,862 Times in 3,155 Posts
could that be took in to bike shop to get it lowered or sloped of would that damage the construction of it?
Any gpod bike shop ought to be able to slope that top tube for you.

Doesn't anyone around here check IP addresses?

Last edited by MoAlpha; 03-15-19 at 09:34 AM.