Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

What's the Skinny on skinny tires?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 09:48 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts

I've been shopping for some new tires lately and have seen that several manufacturers make 2.0 XC tires that they boast have several World Cup Wins! I know that the tires are light, but they seem squirrelly to me. I am running a Geax Saguaro 2.0 on the back right now. It is great on hard pack, but if I get into marbles or sandy trails the back end seems to move around and loose grip. I am still running a 2.1 Karma on the front and am really impressed with it. I can't seem to wear it out and I am confident that it holds in corners, no matter what the trail condition.

I always thought that I could run a thinner rear tire and keep the weight and rolling resistance down. Now I'm wondering if its worth 100 grams? What do you guys think?

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 02-15-12, 12:22 PM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couple-o-things:

1-Rotational weight has way less influence than people want to claim. In fact so does non-rotational weight. It's really just manufacturer marketing trying to sell you more expensive, lighter products with a fatter profit margin.
2-Fitness is going to have a way bigger influence on speed than rolling resistance.
3-Having to brake going around corners because your tires don't bite is probably going to slow you down more than increased rolling resistance.
4-Buy a second wheelset and have two tire options for different conditions
Old 02-15-12, 01:22 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Maybe it's just the particular rear you're running? People tend to be able to get good performance out of a less aggressive rear tire, and you're only running a 2.1" in the front, so I wouldn't think that .1" in the rear would make much difference. I run a 2.25" front and a 2.0" with less knob in rear and don't have issues with the rear sliding out when pushing really hard into some corners. In fact, my front will often go with or just before my rear(which isn't good). I know a lot of people run bigger difference in tire size than you're running and it works out great. I think maybe it's just that Geax Saguaro 2.0. I also just quick checked out a review site and a lot of the reviews say that tire tends to wash in corners and loose gravely type stuff.
Old 02-15-12, 01:26 PM
Daspydyr 

Thanks guys, hey 3, where do you find your reviews?

Old 02-15-12, 05:29 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I personally use everybiketireinthewholeworldprofessionallytestedandreviewed.com
Old 02-16-12, 01:41 AM
3speed

I just use the common simple MTBR.com. Basically what I've found with it is that if a product really is good, it'll get consistent great reviews on MTBR. Something like your tire, for example, gets pretty mixed reviews, with half of them being the exact problem you're talking about. It makes sense when you think about it. Of course there are always going to be some people that will be happy with a tire, so most all will get some good reviews. But in my experience with products I've used personally, if it's got pretty mixed reviews, you're probably gonna find the same issues that people state. I've used a couple products reviewed on there that have consistently high reviews and they've been great. I've used some that had mixed reviews and been willing to accept the weaknesses, sometimes not, but usually mtbr will point out those weaknesses. I like the site enough that I pretty much check everything on there before making a purchase.
Old 02-16-12, 06:23 PM
Dilberto

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
World Cup riders also ride ultra-smooth, groomed courses with nary a rock, sand or thorn present. In real world riding - you need at least a 2.10" tire to keep your skin and teeth intact.
Old 02-16-12, 07:18 PM
ESW116

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
I clicked on that
Old 02-16-12, 09:35 PM
Daspydyr 

Yeah, I was afraid I would get dougpunked on that!

Old 02-16-12, 11:59 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
^^ At least it wasn't the rickroll from hell. I got properly flogged for that one.
Old 02-17-12, 12:25 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Wait a sec... a 2.0 tire is skinny?

My first mtb outta high school was shod with 1.85 tires and between that size and 1.9 was the norm. 2.0 was considered fat.
Old 02-17-12, 01:51 AM
3speed

^ I actually just checked out some 1.9s on an old bike tonight. Looks like it's actually a great tread, at least worth trying, but I don't know how I feel about the size. The overall tire volume of a 1.9 just seems too small to get the kind of squish to smooth out the bumps and choppiness in the trail. Hmm...
Old 02-17-12, 08:02 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
The overall tire volume of a 1.9 might be enough to keep my fillings from falling out but just seems too small to prevent me from biting my tongue.
Fixed.
Old 02-17-12, 09:25 AM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ESW116
I clicked on that
Your not alone my friend...

But back to the post....I personally think that tread and the quality and ride characteristics of the casing make a huge difference in how a tire will perform. One of my fav's from long ago was the Conti cross-country 1.5's. I rode the **** out of those all over the front range. I tend not to be a total bomber though, so if that's your style a tire like that probably wouldn't do too well.

Last edited by redtires; 02-17-12 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-19-12, 01:37 AM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dilberto
World Cup riders also ride ultra-smooth, groomed courses with nary a rock, sand or thorn present. In real world riding - you need at least a 2.10" tire to keep your skin and teeth intact.
lol.

Old 02-19-12, 11:12 AM
Daspydyr 

^^^Point well made, those rocks are smooth, no goatheads and the place looked groomed! I hear there was a sponge pit at the bottom of that run!

Old 02-21-12, 09:49 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Pros are pros. Just because they can do awesome things on 1.8 - 2.0" tires doesn't mean that we can do it too.

It's far easier to ride over rocks with large volume tires, no one is ever going to dispute that.
Old 02-23-12, 01:56 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
2.3 to 2.5's rock the rocks.
Old 03-03-12, 12:59 PM
24/7biker

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
with a narrower tire you don't have as much room to play with tire pressure. this is probably why you are having trouble with your rear tire. try a bigger tire, drop the air pressure down and you'll probably get a lot better traction in the loose stuff. there are lots of tires out there now that are in the 2.3" range but are also really light.
Old 03-04-12, 06:25 PM
Lord Chaos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used a lot of tires over the years... the hot setup in the 1980s was a Ritchey Quad in back, and a Specialized Ground Control in front. This worked very well. Of course, none of the tires I rode then is still available, so I've gone through various other combinations. My current favorite is the WTB Weirwolf, a 2.3 in front and a 2.5 low knob in back. The Weirwolf grips well, and hangs on in sandy/pebbly/loose-dirt curves. They even roll decently on the pavement, on the way to the mountains.
Old 03-05-12, 01:09 PM
Dilberto

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
How scared do you want to be? Try doing 30mph+ on a downhill fireroad with skinnies(1.9"-2.0") and your chamois will be soiled with this morning's coffee...