Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best bib short under $150?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best bib short under $150?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 01:58 PM
Karcas

Bikes: 2012 CAAD10 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2012 Pearl Izumi P.R.O bibs here. Love that 4d chamois!
Old 05-18-12, 02:44 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bored117
Sugoi RSE was on sale on Chainlove today for around $110. Snatched one today. (Already have 2 RSE shorts and 1 RSE bib Knicker... love their Chamois and texture) Knowing Chainlove... it will probably come around again.
Chainlove had the RS for $70, but Nashbar has them for $60. Limited choice of sizes, however.
Old 05-18-12, 06:15 PM
Skinny Fred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GiantDefyGuy
Also Voler.
They have nice stuff for good prices. Last year they had a 2 for 1 sale on their nice bibs, so I was able to get 2 pairs for like $129 or something. I like these a lot too.
Voler still has some of last year's clothing on clearance for up to 50% off, although many of them are colors other than black. I'm happy with their older Ion SL pad.
Old 05-18-12, 06:23 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
2 pairs of Performance Ultra 2s.
Old 05-18-12, 07:50 PM
advicepig

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love the Craft Active bib. Retails at $99, maybe able to find a deal.
Old 05-18-12, 08:32 PM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another vote for PI P.R.O's they rock, for me their the benchmark in both short and bibs.
also like the capo offerings (roma, sc-12) i want the padrone bibs, but will have to wait.
Old 05-18-12, 09:30 PM
noise boy

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 300 Posts
I personally like the Mavic Espoir bibs, I also have a pair of the Mavic Sprint bibs, not as enamored of them but mostly because my quads are not massive enough to keep the legs from riding up, otherwise they are great as well. I have a a PI Pro bib but I don't like the chamois a little too diapery for me.
Old 05-19-12, 12:03 AM
Biscayne05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
OP, pay attention to the chamois, not just the brand. Even Assos has different chamois. Personally, I like these chamois: Assos Mille, castelli x2, descente strata, pearl Izumi 4d pro, Sugoi rs. I haven't had good luck with any craft, low end castelli or capo forma stuff.
Are these the higher end chamois?

If so thanks for summing it up (though I'm curious which one to get with Louis Garneau)

I'm never buying the lower end stuff ever again.
Old 05-19-12, 12:16 AM
Durockrolly

Bikes: 2020 Giant Cypress DX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
I picked these Louis Garneau bibs up recently. While I only have a couple hundred miles I like them very much!!!

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...32_-1___400065
Old 05-19-12, 07:42 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have about 6 pairs of Voler bibs with the trilogy pad. For the $$, I think these are hard to beat.
Old 05-19-12, 10:27 PM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyThePinhead
Chainlove had the RS for $70, but Nashbar has them for $60. Limited choice of sizes, however.
Thanks for the heads up. Along with their ridiculously slow shipping, Nashbar charges sales tax now. They just saved me a bunch of money, because I'm NOT paying sales tax on an online order.
Old 05-19-12, 11:12 PM
bored117 

Bikes: Lynskey R230 DA DI2 ENVE 3.4 SES, 6KU Fixie, Cheap Aluminum Slapstick Trainer only bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyThePinhead
The link to Nashbar leads to SUGOI Evolution, not RS. RS is very close to RSE in Chamois but Evolution is different kind of Chamois.
Old 05-19-12, 11:55 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeB14
Colorado cyclist has Descente Aero-X bibs on sale for $70 right now.

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/DESXBPS5
I like these, too, as well as the less expensive Prologue bibs. Pearl Izumi Elite is pretty good, too, but the PI fit is a bit of a problem for me.
Old 05-20-12, 09:18 AM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The link to Nashbar leads to SUGOI Evolution, not RS. RS is very close to RSE in Chamois but Evolution is different kind of Chamois.
You are absolutely correct. I didn't catch that.
Old 05-20-12, 01:32 PM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just as an update, I ended up buying two pairs of Castelli bibs, both with the higher end chamois. I got a pair of the "Endurance" bibs and a pair of the "Body paint."

Two pairs wasn't really in the budget but I can't complain too much, they all go in rotation anyway.
Old 05-21-12, 11:37 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
I have a couple of pairs with Kiss3, both very very comfortable. YAMV.
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg
I got a pair of Castelli presto bibs on amazon for ~$90 less than a week ago. The "kiss" chamois is oh-so-comfortable... Much more comfortable than my DNA Italico bibs. But be careful, fit is a little small.
Originally Posted by twodownzero
Just as an update, I ended up buying two pairs of Castelli bibs, both with the higher end chamois. I got a pair of the "Endurance" bibs and a pair of the "Body paint."

Two pairs wasn't really in the budget but I can't complain too much, they all go in rotation anyway.
Great choice!!!
I have a few bib shorts, & a pair of the bib tight.
They fit 1 size smaller, I went with Med for the shorts, & large for the tights.
I also have Sugoi shorts, & their chamois is really nice too, looking to pick up a few more of these @ the sample sale they have this Thursday.
I like that they use compression on the leg bands instead of the rubber, I get skin irritation(all around my thigh) from the Bontarger rubber leg grippers they use on the inside of the bibs.
Old 05-22-12, 04:37 AM
ticktockpedal

Bikes: Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
castelli endurance are nice and have a really nice chamois. realcyclist has them for $150.
Old 05-22-12, 05:03 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by twodownzero

I believe both have the X2 chamois. They are excellent.
Old 05-22-12, 05:07 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Biscayne05
Are these the higher end chamois?

If so thanks for summing it up (though I'm curious which one to get with Louis Garneau)

I'm never buying the lower end stuff ever again.
I navel had any LG gear. I know others liked their higher end stuff, but for me, LG just doesn't look as well made as others. The chamois I listed typically are available on higher end stuff, especially the Assos and Rapha ones. But you can find others in more reasonably priced bibshorts like OP did with his Castelli ones. I also like the Descente Strata chamois which you can find for around $100.
Old 05-22-12, 06:51 AM
uncrx2003

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
De Soto 400 mile bibs and they are on sale right now from The Tri Shop for around $127.

Code:
MDAY20
Old 05-22-12, 07:13 AM
GiantDefyGuy
At least I'm not a poseur

Bikes: Giant Defy 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
...I also like the Descente Strata chamois which you can find for around $100.
OMG! I HATE my Descente Strata bibs! I got them from Bonktown sometime last year, and I really hate them. The chamois is HUGE and soft, and it feels like someone shoved a pillow in there. I think every saddle sore I've ever had came from those bibs.

Plus, the leg band kinda makes them look like a pair of underwear.

I do like the little ipod pocket though.
Old 05-24-12, 01:15 PM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love my Capo tempo bib shorts. $99 off Bonktown last year. They are well made and the chamois is much thicker than the one on my Giordana silverline bib shorts. You can do good with $150.
Old 05-24-12, 01:41 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I got the bibs the other day, and the chamois-- the Evolution bibs from Nashbar have the RC Pro chamois, whereas the RS bibs have the Formula FX chamois-- is pretty good, at least from my experience. I've been riding for a long time using Cannondale Domestique bibs, and clearly the chamois in the Evolution bibs is better. Sugoi, like every manufacturer, offers different levels of chamois quality, but I wonder if it is a question of diminishing returns once you get to a certain level. Call me crazy, but I still think $60 is a lot to pay for what amounts to polyester and foam.
Old 05-24-12, 03:00 PM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just picked up a Sugoi bib short for $65 taxes in(regular $200 before taxes) & 2 jerseys for a grand total of $135 taxes in.
Old 05-24-12, 03:27 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I learned from prior threads that people like different types of chamois. Personally I love the Castelli KISS chamois and the low-cut coverage for your abdomen and lower back. I also have a pair of Sugoi RS and I like them a lot, but absolutely would not go any thicker. there is a lot more, and thicker, material on the belly and back as well which makes them hotter than the Castellis. Oh and the Sugoi has more compression on the thighs:

Originally Posted by noise boy
I personally like the Mavic Espoir bibs, I also have a pair of the Mavic Sprint bibs, not as enamored of them but mostly because my quads are not massive enough to keep the legs from riding up, otherwise they are great as well. I have a a PI Pro bib but I don't like the chamois a little too diapery for me.
I never thought I had huge guads but I guess I do because I've never had a pair of shorts that were anything close to loose in the legs and I often find them a bit uncomfortable for the first few uses. I might have to look into those Mavics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.