Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Single Speed Conversion

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Single Speed Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-17, 02:47 AM
chrisduff1984

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Single Speed Conversion

Hi guys, completely new to bike mechanics but i have set myself a little project and am looking for some advice. I m converting an old Raleigh Mountain bike into a single speed. I am trying to choose a single speed conversion kit to use. What exactly do i need to be looking out for??? Cheers..
Old 05-13-17, 03:37 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
A frame with horizontal dropouts.
Old 05-13-17, 04:07 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The easiest way is to start with a bike that has horizontal dropouts because, on a single speed you don't have the derailleur's slack take up arm so you need a way to adjust the chain tension.

The next issue is how to replace the multiple rear cogs:

If you have a spin-on freewheel, a single speed freewheel is a direct replacement. They come in two cog thicknesses so you need to match the chain that you are using. You also need your new rear cog to line up pretty well with your front chainring. Usually the middle chainring position works best.

If you have a cassette rear hub you'll need to buy or make some spacers to replace the cogs that you aren't going to use. The nice thing about this is that you can adjust the position of your rear cog to match the chain line of your crankset.
Old 05-13-17, 06:20 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Does your bike have a cassette or freewheel? If cassette buy a spacer kit like this one.

Surly Single Speed Spacer Kit > Components > Drivetrain > Single Speed Cogs | Jenson USA

You will also need a cog. You can use one from the cassette you just took off or buy a single cog like this. Surly Single Speed Cog > Components > Drivetrain > Single Speed Cogs | Jenson USA

If freewheel, then you need something like this.

Shimano DX Single Speed Freewheel > Components > Drivetrain > Single Speed Cogs | Jenson USA. You will need to redish your rear wheel if you go this route.

If your bike has horizontal dropouts you don't need to purchase this next product. If vertical dropouts you need to buy some type of tensioner like this Surly Singleator Chain Tensioner > Components > Drivetrain > Chain Guides & Tensioners | Jenson USA

These are just a few of the products you can purchase. There are cheaper versions of all these, you have to decide how much you want to spend. You can also improvise by using PVC pipe as spacers, old cog from cassette and using your old derailleur for the tensioner. Without knowing the exact bike in question, it is more difficult to give you exactly what you need but this will get you started.
Old 05-13-17, 07:23 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
A frame with horizontal dropouts.
...or, since you will be using a freewheel, just a chain tensioner (Surly makes one), and any type of dropouts.
Old 05-13-17, 03:24 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
...or, since you will be using a freewheel, just a chain tensioner (Surly makes one), and any type of dropouts.
My assumption was, that a tensioner would defeat the purpose of converting to SS
since all those SS people are about 'style'

of course, it being a converted mtb frame would stick out far more than the tensioner would
but hey, hipsters aren't too bright

Last edited by xenologer; 05-13-17 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-13-17, 04:47 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
hipsters aren't too bright
Your two posts in this thread are disgusting.
Old 05-13-17, 05:22 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My assumption was, that a tensioner would defeat the purpose of converting to SS
since all those SS people are about 'style' of course, it being a converted mtb frame would stick out far more than the tensioner would but hey, hipsters aren't too bright
Baby boomer here. I have a SS with a tensioner, made from my old rando bike. I ride it for the simplicity and challenge. There is something liberating about no computer, no gears, grinding up wind and hills, and spinning my legs off going back down. Anti tech, like being a kid again.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is going to mistake me for a hipster, or being stylish!
Old 05-14-17, 09:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Kit? Why? want IKEA to package it all for you?

DIY, old 5 speed frame, 1 speed freewheel .. I got an old 5 speed wheel , replaced the axle spacers,

to be the same width on both sides, adjusted the spoke tensions to recenter the rim

between the 2 axle ends And the centered in the frame ,

put a chain on and its good ... only need 1 chain ring, do need 2 brakes..

But, I like gears, 3 speed IGH are simple and reliable.. you can buy them built.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-14-17 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-14-17, 09:21 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
All you need to know:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html