Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Short travel full suspension XC machine?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-15, 11:25 AM
stockae92

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember back in the days the Specialized FSR XC was a popular short travel full suspension XC machine? Whats the modern day equivalent to that?

Thanks.
Old 06-19-15, 11:34 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
There are many.

Specialized makes the Epic series now, which has a further evolved version of the FSR suspension. Trek makes the Superfly FS, Giant makes the Anthem (I think).
Old 06-20-15, 10:20 PM
slowride454

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix - Soma Double Cross Disc - Pivot Mach 429SL - Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy - Specialized Carve SL - Trek Farley 7 - GT Dyno VFR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I building a Salsa Spearfish right now. Can't wait to ride it.
Old 06-21-15, 10:02 AM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
The epic (especially the WC) is pretty much as close to a hardtail as you can get while keeping the rear shock, if that's what you're looking for.
Old 06-21-15, 10:04 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
i think there are a bunch which fits that description My 429c is labeled a XC bike as is the Santa Cruz Tall Boy and countless others. I think that most of them today are capable of far more than XC. The suspension has home a long way with "short" being 4 inches and the designs have become more efficient at using the travel. With the flick of a tab these machines go from plush to damm near ridgid
Old 06-22-15, 01:57 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
There are a lot of these types of bikes, as others mentioned.

You need get out and ride a few examples. You'll first want to pick whether you should have 27.5 or 29" wheels.
Old 06-23-15, 08:56 AM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallo
i think there are a bunch which fits that description My 429c is labeled a XC bike as is the Santa Cruz Tall Boy and countless others. I think that most of them today are capable of far more than XC. The suspension has home a long way with "short" being 4 inches and the designs have become more efficient at using the travel. With the flick of a tab these machines go from plush to damm near ridgid
"Far more capable than XC". What does that mean?

It's a 100mm bike. XC, to me, is anything that doesn't include getting huge air or require a full face helmet.
Old 06-23-15, 08:58 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Duke of Kent

It's a 100mm bike. XC, to me, is anything that doesn't include getting huge air or require a full face helmet.
I think 'capable of far more than XC' refers to the potential ability to get air and do rides that require a full face helmet... not that you must do those things.
Old 06-23-15, 10:34 AM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I think 'capable of far more than XC' refers to the potential ability to get air and do rides that require a full face helmet... not that you must do those things.
In which case a Pivot 429 or Tallboy are like bringing a knife to a gunfight. Horses for courses. If a person feels the need to wear a full face, a 100mm FS is not the bike I'd be riding.

I ride a carbon HT in Pisgah and Pisgah-like terrain in VA regularly; firmly in the XC realm. It's rough, and it will tear you apart if you mess up, but there is nothing "AM" about it.
Old 06-23-15, 12:18 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

In which case a Pivot 429 or Tallboy are like bringing a knife to a gunfight. Horses for courses. If a person feels the need to wear a full face, a 100mm FS is not the bike I'd be riding.

I ride a carbon HT in Pisgah and Pisgah-like terrain in VA regularly; firmly in the XC realm. It's rough, and it will tear you apart if you mess up, but there is nothing "AM" about it.

Of course, if your WayBack machine is operating, you could go the early days of the 'freeride' trend (mid-late '90s) and people were doing chairlift assisted downhill runs all day long on their 75mm travel bikes.
Old 06-23-15, 12:36 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Of course, if your WayBack machine is operating, you could go the early days of the 'freeride' trend (mid-late '90s) and people were doing chairlift assisted downhill runs all day long on their 75mm travel bikes.
If you have enough skill and patience, you could still ride one of those without going OTB or tacoing a wheel. But it wouldn't be very enjoyable compared to a modern bike.

If you're XC racing, you should have an XC race bike. If you aren't, a mid-travel 'trail' bike will be better suited to handle a variety of trails. Short-travel bikes are generally cheaper, but not always. Take the Giant Trance for example.
Old 06-25-15, 12:51 PM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

It means it can do more than a flat fire trail hauling ass which is what I think of when doing XC. When I was looking for a bike I was not looking for a category. I wanted to move to a 29r and full suspension that climbed well. Many of the XC bikes like mine are equipped with 100 rear 120 front. So far the bike has taken anything I have thrown at it and being in San Diego plenty has been thrown at it. It performs better than I do. I do not jump much but we have drops here and there and it has never bottomed out. This bike takes me wherever I want it to go in comfort.

By capable I mean it can handle any terrain save the serious downhill which is not my thing.

And save the you can take a Huffy anywhere too.
Old 06-25-15, 01:53 PM
stockae92

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestion. I found a Giant Anthem with 3.5" rear travel, I read great review about the design.