Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Fatbike Commuting??

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Fatbike Commuting??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-17, 08:21 PM
OutdoorsBen

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fatbike Commuting??

Anyone, most likely in snow states, use a fatbike as their primary commuting bike?
Old 04-04-17, 05:42 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I don't, but at one point last year when there seemed to be snow every morning I thought about it. I dismissed the idea because 1) it's a very specialty bike that I might only ride a handful times a year; 2) I found that unless there's more than a few inches of snow that I could ride my studded tires fine; and 3) if it got too bad I'd just take my car.

Riding 20 km on fat tires would be quite miserable, I imagine, as they probably roll as about as well as my studded tires.
Old 04-04-17, 08:06 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I don't, but at one point last year when there seemed to be snow every morning I thought about it. I dismissed the idea because 1) it's a very specialty bike that I might only ride a handful times a year; 2) I found that unless there's more than a few inches of snow that I could ride my studded tires fine; and 3) if it got too bad I'd just take my car.

Riding 20 km on fat tires would be quite miserable, I imagine, as they probably roll as about as well as my studded tires.
I thought of the same things but came up with different conclusions.

I had survived my first winter with a beater mountain bike. Half my commute was through the MUP which is not maintained. So when the snow accumulated to a few inches I had to change my route. I was reading and researching on the internet and discussion forums about technique for riding in the snow when I learned about fat bikes. The first thought is no way am I going to spend that kind of money for just a few times a year. When the trails get bad I’ll change my route. If the snow gets really bad, I’ll just walk to work (it was only 4.5km and I know I didn’t want to take the bus or drive).

Then in late summer, I ran across a sale on a used fat bike for $900. That got me searching around and I had made my purchase in October.

No, I don’t use the fat bike for only a few times a year. I use it all winter including the bad snow days and I don’t even need to change my route. If the snow or weather was so bad that the authorities tell you “If you don’t have to drive, don’t” what sense is there to put the bike away and drive? In those conditions, the buses would be packed with people sweating and dripping – and that would be after waiting at the bus stop for over 20 minutes to an hour. Yes, I’ve been through it (the Lawrence East bus is always late).

On February 4th, Cycle Toronto held a “Coldest Ride of the Year” event. I rode 18km to the meetup and then afterward back home. Yes, the fat bike is slower than a road bike but if you’re not in the mindset of getting there fast, just getting there, it’s ok. It's not miserable.
Old 04-04-17, 08:23 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
I use my fat bike to commute probably mid November into March. I ride mostly MUPs and trails on my way in, so it works well. And my commute isn't about speed, so going slower with the fat bike doesn't bother me.
Old 04-04-17, 09:14 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I thought of the same things but came up with different conclusions.

I had survived my first winter with a beater mountain bike. Half my commute was through the MUP which is not maintained. So when the snow accumulated to a few inches I had to change my route. I was reading and researching on the internet and discussion forums about technique for riding in the snow when I learned about fat bikes. The first thought is no way am I going to spend that kind of money for just a few times a year. When the trails get bad I’ll change my route. If the snow gets really bad, I’ll just walk to work (it was only 4.5km and I know I didn’t want to take the bus or drive).
If my commute was on a MUP and not very long, I'd totally consider getting a fat bike. My own commute is 20 km, and it's mostly through residential and secondary roads, with only a brief stint on a major roadway with a bike lane. Public transit is an option, but only as an absolute last resort.

The MUP to which you are referring, is this the Don Valley, Wilket Creek, Sunnybrook Park? They'd be fun to ride on a fat bike in the winter, actually.
Old 04-04-17, 09:25 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I have one, and have commuted with it to work in the snow and even on a nice fall day. Mine is really not ideal with the gearing and the knobbies for the road. I think I maxed out at about 14 mph or so? So even though it rides really nice, the commute is very slow going especially when I am used to riding in the mid to upper 20mph range.

One thing to add, they will go through snow quite easily, until you get into the 6" + range. After that, it becomes rather difficult. A foot of snow? Not going to happen. You will be pushing your bike and they can be rather heavy and the going really gets slow at this point. I know this all too well. This is my previous fat bike on a commute in a blizzard. Foot of snow on the ground already, and no part of the road or MUP was maintained at this point. Nothing holding the bike up but the snow here. My 7.5 mile commute took me approximately 1 hour and 50 minutes.

Likes For TenSpeedV2:
Old 04-04-17, 09:54 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
If my commute was on a MUP and not very long, I'd totally consider getting a fat bike. My own commute is 20 km, and it's mostly through residential and secondary roads, with only a brief stint on a major roadway with a bike lane. Public transit is an option, but only as an absolute last resort.

The MUP to which you are referring, is this the Don Valley, Wilket Creek, Sunnybrook Park? They'd be fun to ride on a fat bike in the winter, actually.
My commute is through Charles Sauriol/Moccasin Trail. But I've done what you listed and Serena Gundy too. For the Coldest Ride of the Year, I took Lower Don Trail to Pottery Road, Bayview, Rosedale Valley Road to Bloor Street.

Bayview bike trail is a lot better now because it's more clearly marked.
Old 04-04-17, 10:59 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I picked up a used fatbike last fall, but we didn't get any snow this year. For commuting, no way I'd ride it. Way to slow and it would only wear out the tires. I do occasionally see a fat guy on a fatbike powered by an electric motor and batteries on the MUP going the opposite direction. You can hear him coming from a quarter mile away. Wonder what the point is of increasing the rolling resistance so much that you need a motor to overcome it.