Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Seat height...am I just weird?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-12, 08:53 PM
Lewis_Moon

Bikes: Skunkhumper Team, 05 Poprad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, this is NOT a No0b question...really. I raced for around 18 years starting back in the mid '70s and quit for a a long while and I'm just starting to road ride again. The problem is, I couldn't remember how I liked my road bike set up. I went to a website and found the 109% formula to get into the ball park. When I hopped on I felt like I was on stilts...well, stilt. My butt was rocking and my knees were locking. It dawned on me that my Mt. bike was set up a lot like a road bike (you can't take the road out of the roadie) so I measured it and it was a full seven cm shorter than the 109% "rule".
I picked up a low heel riding style when I was younger and my leg doesn't come close to locking....have I been doing it wrong all along?
Old 02-23-12, 05:53 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Not weird at all. I personally believe the 109% rule or even Lemond formula of .883x inseam is bit high for the recreational rider with limited hip flexibility. So many factors...you mention a big one...you rode off road for years and are conditioned to ride with a lower saddle. But technique is big...whether you ride toe down...how big/long your feet are...cleat stack height...lots of factors. I also ride with a low saddle height relative to my long inseam of 35"....a full 1-2cm underneath both formulas. You need to find the right saddle height for 'you'...and it won't necessarily comport with a formula...formulas are based upon models and models don't agree with everybody.
For me this comes down to how clean my pedal stroke is and whether I feel my quads are doing too much work if the saddle is too low and if I feel a slight twinge in the back of leg at knee level if the saddle is too high and I am over extending.

Last edited by Campag4life; 02-23-12 at 05:56 AM.
Old 02-23-12, 08:00 AM
Lewis_Moon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never could lower my saddle on my Mt. bike much. I like to hammer on fire roads and never much got into the technical or downhill, so my saddle height is probably somewhere in the same range as my road saddle height. I figure since I'll be riding look pedals the seat height will come up ~1cm but, even if you add a cm or two to that to compensate for the Mt. bike conversion, it still puts me 4cm lower. When I was racing we always used the "sit on the bike and pedal backwards with your heels on the pedals" method. My inseam is 37" (94cm), and given the usual rule that there is more variability the farther out on the tail of the curve you get, I'm probably not so far off.
I'll probably ride with an allen wrench in my pocket for a couple of weeks till it feels correct. I've been completely out of the saddle for years, so it'll probably take a bit before it's dialed in.
Old 02-23-12, 08:23 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
No, if your butt is rocking that's a sign the seat is too high. If you leg doesn't come close to locking, you have limited flexibility from years of riding that way. You'rte got two choices - keep the position you are most comfortable with but perhaps not gaining mex power/efficiency or try and gradually increase your seat position over time. If you do the latter, I wouldn't increase it by more than 1 cm at a time.
Old 02-23-12, 08:31 AM
Lewis_Moon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a question: If you use the afore mentioned "sit on the bike and pedal backwards with your heels on the pedals" method, how would you ever reach 109% w/o some butt rocking? 109 % of my inseam is over 3.5" longer than my leg. You couldn't hold your heel on the pedal at that length.
This was the method that was in vogue when I was riding hard. The pedaling style was also that you had a level foot on pretty much all but the "pull" section of the stroke.

Last edited by Lewis_Moon; 02-23-12 at 08:38 AM. Reason: I think too much.
Old 02-23-12, 08:42 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Put your foot on the ground and lift your heel keeping the ball touching. You should easily get more than 3.5 inches of space.
Old 02-23-12, 08:50 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6784 Post(s)
Liked 5,495 Times in 3,235 Posts
Also bear in mind that saddle setback is an important part of this adjustment too.
Old 02-23-12, 09:22 AM
Lewis_Moon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Put your foot on the ground and lift your heel keeping the ball touching. You should easily get more than 3.5 inches of space.
Easily. I have a big foot....but I was always taught to have a level foot through (most of) the pedal stroke and that "ankling" was bad.
Old 02-23-12, 09:51 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
It's time, or lack of time, in the saddle. From zero to almost daily riding over the last 4 years my saddle height has gone up 2-3 inches depending on the bike. I'll leave it to a doctor to explain why.

Last edited by FrenchFit; 02-23-12 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-23-12, 12:29 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How are you measuring the 109%?
Old 02-23-12, 12:55 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
It's time, or lack of time, in the saddle. From zero to almost daily riding over the last 4 years my saddle height has gone up 2-3 inches depending on the bike. I'll leave it to a doctor to explain why.
3" is huge! improvements in flexibility and a poor initial fit sounds more likely to me than suddenly being able to reach 3" farther on the downstroke.

FWIW (probably nothing), I am very near Lemond's 88.3% of cycling inseam on my road bike, about 6mm above it.. How did I get there? Lots of experimentation. I'm 35mm lower on my MTB as a compromise between pedaling efficiency and having enough clearance out of saddle for bumps and drops.
Old 02-23-12, 12:59 PM
Lewis_Moon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
How are you measuring the 109%?
Center of pedal spindle to top of seat. With Sterrett rule w/90 degree attachment from the same company. Dad was a machinist.
Old 02-23-12, 01:15 PM
bored117 

Bikes: Lynskey R230 DA DI2 ENVE 3.4 SES, 6KU Fixie, Cheap Aluminum Slapstick Trainer only bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Also you are probably not as flexible...