Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Road Touring on 26" Wheels...

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-16, 08:05 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

Good morning, folks. As some have followed some of my other threads elsewhere on the forums, I am looking to upgrade from my Windsor Tourist sometime in the next 3 months. This project has been on the radar for quite some time. The Tourist has served me well, but I really need (want!) disc brakes, as I pull a BOB for heavy commuting duties.

I am a shorter rider, 5' 2". I am taking a hard look at wheelsizes smaller than the standard 700c. I've considered the 650b size and I took notice that the Surly LHT is available in 26". I would love to hear opinions on the pro's and con's of this size for road travel. Do you feel its slower? Is the bike harder to handle?

Thanks.
Old 09-25-16, 08:20 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
26" wheelsize is far more common worldwide than 700c. I too was looking at an LHT with 26" wheels for that reason. Although, I take a 64cm frame and 26" wheels seem disproportionately out of place to the eye, who cares really when performance and ease of spares is what matters. The smaller wheelsize is going to be the stronger too. What I'm doing right now (besides typing) is turning an old steel, long wheelbase hardtail Raleigh mountain bike into a quasi touring / packmule hauler. It's a practical and economical way (I believe) of achieving most of what an expensive dedicating touring bike can do, minus the expense.
Old 09-25-16, 08:23 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 230 Posts
go with whatever bike size fits you.
bigger wheels are not necessarily faster, it's the weight of the
bike and the tires that makes the difference.
(i read an article in bicycling magazine in the 80's i think
that proved 24" wheels were the "fastest" for road bikes...
something about optimal reduced rotational mass maybe.)

Fact or Fiction? Big Wheels = Fast Wheels?

i've pulled a bob many miles with both 700 and 26. as far as my
untrained memory recalls, no real speed difference that could
not be traced back to how much gear in the trailer, and what
type tires.

get the 26 with some 1.5 slicks.
Old 09-25-16, 08:44 AM
antokelly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
good tyres is the trick look at compass tyres expensive but from what i've read they roll like a pro tubular tyre (tire) .check out there website some great info on it.
Old 09-25-16, 08:45 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Now to make things complicated: If I go to a 26" wheelsize, should I order a frame that is a bit bigger? I've been riding a 43cm Tourist for the past 6+ years. If the wheels are smaller, my standover would be shorter.
Old 09-25-16, 09:00 AM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
Thanks for the replies.

Now to make things complicated: If I go to a 26" wheelsize, should I order a frame that is a bit bigger? I've been riding a 43cm Tourist for the past 6+ years. If the wheels are smaller, my standover would be shorter.
NO wheels have nothing to do with size.
Old 09-25-16, 09:02 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
No, "size" is a measured distance For Seat tube length Axis to top
Wheel radius may drop but the BB to ground distance
remains the same. Not lower .. Only drops in cases where the 27" wheel frame simply has someone put in 26" wheels

[& measured diameter of a 23 tire 700c and a 2" tire 26" is not that different,( measure for yourself to confirm) ]

just to mention... Even smaller wheel and an advantage is the 406 .. 20 " Touring travel bikes
made in Eugene OR Bike friday that 20 & the 26" are very common tire sizes.. + 20 even stronger than 26

BF has a further advantage , for the traveling cyclist, They made them to pack into A suitcase, so the Airline travel fee for Bikes is Cut.

./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-25-16 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-25-16, 09:09 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
No, "size us a measured distance For Seat tube length Axis to top
Wheel radius may drop but the BB to ground distance
remains the same. Not lower .. Only drops in cases where the 27" wheel frame simply has someone put in 26" wheels

Ah, makes sense. Thanks.
Old 09-25-16, 09:42 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 438 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Just for reference: our 4'11" daughter rides a 42 cm Long Haul Trucker, and our 5'5" daughter rides a 50 cm LHT. Both bike sizes only come with 26" wheels. I'd suggest trying to test ride the 46 cm bike.

Riding on 26" wheels has not slowed either of them down. As the other folks have said, speed has more to do with wheel weight and tires. Both of the 26" bikes are set up with a tough, relatively lightweight wheelset, and medium weight 32 mm (1.25") tires. My observation is that there is no disadvantage with 26" wheels. It is a little harder to find good narrow size road tires for 26" wheels, but that should not be a deal breaker.

The top tubes on Surly touring bikes tends to be a little on the long side relative to some other brands.

Last edited by Doug64; 09-25-16 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-25-16, 09:46 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5891 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,080 Posts
This is a bit of a no brainer choice. In a small frame, there is a lot to be said for 26 inch wheels. If the top tube length doesn't work right for you on the surly, the soma saga is also designed for 26 inch wheels in smaller sizes.
Old 09-25-16, 10:13 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Just for reference: our 4'11" daughter rides a 42 cm Long Haul Trucker, and our 5'5" daughter rides a 50 cm LHT. Both bike sizes only come with 26" wheels. I'd suggest trying to test ride the 46 cm bike.
Thanks for the reference. I really do not have the option of test riding. There are no stocking dealers within driving distance. My LBS can get me any Surly I want, though.
Old 09-25-16, 11:34 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Do you feel its slower?
Not particularly. The main issue people run into with 26ers on pavement is that the choices for fast road tires are very limited. If you were planning on getting a thick touring tire anyway, this isn't a problem. And if you were planning on getting a supple high-performance tire... well, there's Compass. My bike with 26x2.3" Compass tires seems perform about the same as my Emonda ALR 5, at least cruising on level ground (it's a much heavier bike on the whole).

Is the bike harder to handle?
A bike that's been designed for 26" wheels should handle fine with 26" wheels.

Actually, since 26ers are usually built up with massively wider tires, if anything they can corner significantly better. Bigger contact patch gives more confident, consistent grip.
Old 09-25-16, 12:41 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3471 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,151 Posts
The bottom bracket height off of the ground on both a 26 inch wheel bike and a 700c bike would be about the same. Thus, standover height would be about the same for both frame sizes.

Originally Posted by Doug64
... My observation is that there is no disadvantage with 26" wheels. It is a little harder to find good narrow size road tires for 26" wheels, but that should not be a deal breaker.....
Agree.

Wide variety of tires at 40mm and wider are available for 26 inch tires. For touring, that is just fine. But if you want a skinny tire bike with that wheel diameter, tire selection is limited.

I have toured on 700c and on 26 inch. I got rid of my 700c frame which had a bad shimmy. Now for touring have two 26 inch touring bikes, one Rohloff and one derailleur gearing. Quite happy with that wheel size and expect to use both of those two bikes in the future for touring. I have no plans to buy another 700c touring bike.

For tires, I have toured on mostly pavement with Schwalbe Marathon (with Greengard) in 40mm tire width. On mixed gravel and pavement have used 50mm Schwalbe Dureme tires (discontinued model) and on both 50mm and 57mm wide Schwalbe Extreme tires (also now discontinued).

I bought a Vittoria Randonee Pro tire to carry as a spare, but have not used it. But others on this forum spoke highly of that tire.

As noted by Doug64, factor in top tube length if you get a LHT. You might need a pretty short stem with a LHT.
Old 09-25-16, 12:49 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
You're all over the place @steve-in-kville. I thought you wanted a rando bike?
Old 09-25-16, 01:48 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
You're all over the place @steve-in-kville. I thought you wanted a rando bike?
I want everything!!

Seriously... I'm weighing all my options. Trying to find something that will check all the boxes. It's a wheel size issue, pure an simple. If I could find a rando bike that can pull the trailer, I'd be set. But that's easier said than done.

Yeah, your right. I've down so many rabbit holes the last week over this. I'm about burned out thinking it over.

Time to go ride my bike!
Old 09-25-16, 02:46 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I took my World Troller all over Switzerland last summer, and never felt like the wheel size was holding me back. Mountains were holding me back, for sure. BTW, I'm 6'0". In some things, size matters, but this is not one of them.

Old 09-25-16, 02:47 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Steve, For a small framed bike the 26", or 650B wheel size makes a lot of sense. Tires are nowhere as hard as 27" to source.

Brad
Old 09-25-16, 04:53 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Seriously... I'm weighing all my options. Trying to find something that will check all the boxes. It's a wheel size issue, pure an simple. If I could find a rando bike that can pull the trailer, I'd be set. But that's easier said than done.
Unless you go custom with a Rodriguez UTB or Co-Motion Pangea (both built with 26" wheels) where you can specify most or all of your requirements, the Surly LHT/Disc Trucker is a great option for touring and even randonneuring. Besides getting the engine in tip top shape, careful tire selection for randonneuring will make the most significant impact on speed. For touring where speed is less of a concern, choose a sturdy (given the extra load) puncture-resistant tire like the very popular Schwalbe Marathon Plus.
Old 09-25-16, 05:10 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
I just happened to click on the Touring marketplace and found this CoMotion 26" wheel bike that happens to be in your size and not too far from your neck of the woods. It is a great deal with S&S couplers.

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring-bi...illy-area.html
Old 09-25-16, 06:58 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3471 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,151 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
I just happened to click on the Touring marketplace and found this CoMotion 26" wheel bike that happens to be in your size and not too far from your neck of the woods. It is a great deal with S&S couplers.

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring-bi...illy-area.html
The frame size is too small for me. I am bummed.
Old 09-25-16, 08:12 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I'd definitely recommend 559 wheels for a smaller frame; you can buy tires (I read) as narrow as 25 mm/1" if you have the need for speed. 559 might look more proportional there also. 559 gives one the option to have S&S couplers; 622 mm/700C wheels don't fit into the case easily. BTW while I haven't tried hydraulic disc brakes, you might consider them since Pennsylvania has hills & rain.

I'm riding 56 cm Surly Disc Trucker with 559 mm (26") wheels. I recently bought the 50 mm Supremes on recommendation from another poster: they are light for the size, roll surprisingly fast, handle confidently & are the most comfy tire I've used on a touring bike.

That Pangea has a kewl paint job but no discs anyway.
Old 09-25-16, 08:26 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 976 Times in 799 Posts
I have toured and ridden both a 700 and 26" bike for years, the 700 a drop bar bike with 28s and the 26" bike a mtn bike with 1.5 slicks. Both ride very well and in this case, the mtn bike with 1.5 slicks steers quicker than my dropbar bike, at all speeds (but that is really more to do wth the frame etc, not the wheel size)
I recently have setup another 26" bike with dropbars , a Surly Troll, with a very short stem, 60mm, with wide tires 26x50mm and with a very similar setup to my 700 dropbar bike, it rides rather the same way. The speed might be a bit lower overall but then that I feel is due to the fact that it is a bit heavier and the 50mm tires are a bit slower than the 28 slicks--but really it is not a large amount, and could be very easily changed by narrower tires. In my past experience, tire choices can change how a bike steers, but that said, I like how the Troll rides.

As mentioned, 26 will give you more room for toe overlap and fenders issues, and one of the bonuses is that a 26in wheel compared to a similarly built 700 wheel is slightly stronger due to teh shorter spokes, but given that you want to pull a trailer, its probably not an issue.
Old 09-25-16, 10:36 PM
Timequake

Bikes: 1982 Univega Gran Turismo

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
26" wheels look cooler. /thread
Old 09-26-16, 12:05 AM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Someone mentioned that there will be no difference in stand over. There may be, it just won't be predictable on wheel size. Some 26s may assume bigger tires than you would run on the road, so you could loose there also, but not significantly.

I run Schwalbe marathon slicks in 1.5". There are plenty of choices, you don't want to go skinnier than that, even the racers are drifting back to fatter tires since it turns out they are fast. Maybe not 1.5, but for what touring involves even 42 mm may be an uptick.

Why wider tires offer less rolling resistance - Canadian Cycling Magazine

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2014/...nd-fast-tires/

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2014/...e-is-too-wide/
Old 09-26-16, 12:16 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
FS: Co-Motion Pangea S&S 44cm Touring Bike Philly area

That's my bike (well, my wife's). She is 5'2" and it fits her perfectly. If you get over to the Philly area you are welcome to take it for a ride and see how it fits (even if you don't think you want to buy it). What size frames are you looking at?

I have both 26" and 700c wheels on my various touring bikes. The 700c "feels" a bit faster, but I'm perfectly happy with my 26" wheels for touring too (I also have a 26" Pangea in about a 50cm size; I'm 5'8").

My opinion is to go with the 26" wheel, whichever bike you get. You can do a 700c in a smaller frame, but there are a lot of tradeoffs (like toe overlap with front wheel, for one). There are myriad choices in 26" tires, and they are readily sourced around the world, including in the middle of nowhere in the USA (Walmarts, etc.).

Last edited by Philly Tandem; 09-26-16 at 12:20 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.