Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

CGOAB v Blogspot v Other option

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-16, 09:31 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts

Hello all!

I'm back from my week and a half in Europe, and eager to get my story down before the memories fade. I tried doing a search, and didn't find much started in this decade, but is there any consensus on where the best place to host a chronological journal of my trip is? I am well aware of the owners personal issues and dated look of CGOAB, and don't wish for this to turn into a discussion on those, I am looking purely at ease of reading and use, and especially accessibility to a non-touring bike crowd (interested family and friends, etc). I've got an old travel Blogspot I am also thinking of resurrecting for this purpose (which I can seemingly backdate to the actual days), and of course am welcome to any options I haven't considered.

EDIT: it has been a long time. Guess it is Blogger now, not Blogspot...
Old 05-31-16, 09:39 AM
BlarneyHammer

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I'm happy with PackJournal.com. It's a pretty new site, not many on there yet. You can see your journals and photos on a map, it's got an app so you can write journals in your phone when you're offline and upload them later, you can set up mail drops on your page, and you can even fundraise for a charity (they only have a few to pick from so far). You can set your privacy so anyone can read it, or limit it to only people you approve of.
Old 05-31-16, 11:17 AM
RedandBlack

Bikes: '14 Surly LHT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use wordpress. I have no problem with CCOAB. I just have a "as the inspiration strikes" kind of writing style as opposed to a day-to-day travel log.
Old 05-31-16, 08:04 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
@raybo documented a tour of Switzerland here. The On-line Bike Touring Archive
Old 05-31-16, 08:14 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Welcome back! AND you still want to talk about it, so it must have been a good experience! Can't wait to hear the details of both the journey and how your new/old ride treated you!
Old 05-31-16, 08:39 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Some years ago I started my own personal website so that I could control what happened with content and access etc... Then I just provide the link to it from whatever platform I'm talking on (Facebook, email, forums). For no particular reason I landed on Weebly.com and have been there ever since. I splurged and bought a domain so I could use a .ca instead of their longer free url. It's all free (though they try to get you to upgrade) and the plug and play platform is pretty easy to learn. You can embed video or link to Youtube accounts, add images, a blog and apparently, a lot of pages. I haven't updated the dive site in a while but you can see it here: manfish.ca*** The Adventures of a Grassroots Canadian Diver - Home
and my bike website is here: WECANRIDE 2016:Cycling across Western CanadaTo Raise Awareness about Dementia - Home
Old 05-31-16, 09:31 PM
mm718

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CGOAB is the easiest to navigate by far and I grew to like the look.
Old 05-31-16, 09:38 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Welcome back! AND you still want to talk about it, so it must have been a good experience! Can't wait to hear the details of both the journey and how your new/old ride treated you!
There were highs and lows, and a large learning curve, but I would mark it up as a positive experience overall (even if the lady is rather pro not ever putting bikes on a plane again)! I've started writing down the stories, I hope to have the first parts up tomorrow!

Thanks to everyone else for the advice. After consideration, I think I am going to double post it, first on the blogger site I already have (for my convenience, simply to not open more accounts on more sites), and then when that is completed transferring the info to CGOAB, simply for the fact that I am going to include mundane information I desperately sought out before my trip that I couldn't find anywhere, that may or may not be of use to anyone new trying this in the future!
Old 06-01-16, 03:36 PM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Bikes: Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Facebook like Pages

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Hello all!

I'm back from my week and a half in Europe, and eager to get my story down before the memories fade. I tried doing a search, and didn't find much started in this decade, but is there any consensus on where the best place to host a chronological journal of my trip is? I am well aware of the owners personal issues and dated look of CGOAB, and don't wish for this to turn into a discussion on those, I am looking purely at ease of reading and use, and especially accessibility to a non-touring bike crowd (interested family and friends, etc). I've got an old travel Blogspot I am also thinking of resurrecting for this purpose (which I can seemingly backdate to the actual days), and of course am welcome to any options I haven't considered.

EDIT: it has been a long time. Guess it is Blogger now, not Blogspot...
You could start a Facebook like Page! and Like my facebook like page to Blog https://www.facebook.com/Biketouringhobo/
Old 06-02-16, 09:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Other option is do as those have always done, before the internet created its self fulfilling dependency .

write with pen to paper.
Old 06-02-16, 09:31 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Other option is do as those have always done, before the internet created its self fulfilling dependency .

write with pen to paper.
I mean, I could, but that makes it rather hard to share with anyone who wants to read it...
Old 06-02-16, 09:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
They buy your Book, and you get Paid, per copy sold .