Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Smoking Commuter Cyclists

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Smoking Commuter Cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 05:32 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can we please get back on topic and that is: Tobacco, God's greatest gift to mankind.
Old 01-11-12, 05:38 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by modernjess
Can we please get back on topic and that is: Tobacco, God's greatest gift to mankind.
Old 01-11-12, 05:40 PM
catmandew52

Bikes: Mongoose Switchback

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curly666
Is this still the "smoking" thread?
Yes, and getting back on topic.

While on Coastal Patrol duty off the coast of N. Vietnam I inhaled a carton/day. Hey! gonna die anyway.

I still smoke, but am down to just about 2-packs a week.
I have tried, in the past, to quit.

1. Group therapy sessions.
2. Hypnosis
3. Aversion therapy
4. Novacaine injections
5. the "Patch"
6. Peer pressure

Nothing has worked, long term, for me.
I have lit up while taking a brief rest, but off to the side someplace, and away from anyone else.
I no longer smoke in my home or in my vehicle.
I try not to impose my second hand smoke on anyone else out of respect, whether they are non-smokers or full tilt stogie puffers.

To confront a smoker, in our stressed out society today, could not always have a positive outcome.
If you don't understand why a cyclist, out for a ride, still has to smoke, best to leave it a mystery.
Or, if makes you feel better, just mutter "Dumb ---" under your breath, and continue on to you destination.
Old 01-11-12, 05:55 PM
curly666

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Robaix, Specialized Carmel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by catmandew52
Yes, and getting back on topic.

While on Coastal Patrol duty off the coast of N. Vietnam I inhaled a carton/day. Hey! gonna die anyway.

I still smoke, but am down to just about 2-packs a week.
I have tried, in the past, to quit.

1. Group therapy sessions.
2. Hypnosis
3. Aversion therapy
4. Novacaine injections
5. the "Patch"
6. Peer pressure

Nothing has worked, long term, for me.
I have lit up while taking a brief rest, but off to the side someplace, and away from anyone else.
I no longer smoke in my home or in my vehicle.
I try not to impose my second hand smoke on anyone else out of respect, whether they are non-smokers or full tilt stogie puffers.

To confront a smoker, in our stressed out society today, could not always have a positive outcome.
If you don't understand why a cyclist, out for a ride, still has to smoke, best to leave it a mystery.
Or, if makes you feel better, just mutter "Dumb ---" under your breath, and continue on to you destination.
I agree, I quit in '98 but I know just one and I would be going at it again. My son used to ride with me and he is a smoker, we had stopped in a small town on our ride and sitting on a bench talking for a while and he was smoking. Then some do-gooder walked by and couldn't keep from making a comment. It took all I could do to keep my son from rearranging his nose. It was none of this guys business as to my son's smoking, I don't know why people just can't keep their mouth shut and mind their own business.
Old 01-11-12, 05:59 PM
Gnslgr

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting, in the real world I get comments about smoking but not so much about not wearing a helmet. Here, seems to be the opposite.

Not trying to derail thread to a helmet rant - just an observation
Old 01-11-12, 06:37 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, I quit in '98 but I know just one and I would be going at it again. My son used to ride with me and he is a smoker, we had stopped in a small town on our ride and sitting on a bench talking for a while and he was smoking. Then some do-gooder walked by and couldn't keep from making a comment. It took all I could do to keep my son from rearranging his nose. It was none of this guys business as to my son's smoking, I don't know why people just can't keep their mouth shut and mind their own business.
So let's see...

I'm walking along the boardwalk with my family, when your son or whomever, decides to exhale a cloud of noxious gases into the path of my family, just after we've had a wonderful restaurant lunch, as we return to our vehicle.

So, I guess that's not supposed to be my business and I am suppose to be fearful to approach your son and tell him how inconsiderate he is being. He might even have been so engrossed into your conversation that perhaps, he didn't even notice us walking, or his exhalant direction.

Smoking is a disgusting habit. It is detrimental to the smoker's health and everyone within his immediate vicinity. Technically speaking, it's detrimental to all within a certain radius of the expelled noxious fumes. However, when you can no longer smell the toxic gases, you're not supposed to feel in anyway assaulted. This, eventhough the carcinogens have already begun to alter your cells. Look! Second-hand smoke is a direct assault upon everyone's person. I liken it to a punch in the stomach!

I would have no hesitation fully explaining how inconsiderate and stupid a person is, when demonstrating their disrepect for others, by smoking in public where non-smokers dwell. That's especially, where my family is concerned. I can assure you my nose wouldn't be the one that would be rearranged.

We must learn to have mutual respect for one another. Just because smoking has not been declared an iilegal activity somewhere, doesn't give you the right to be inconsiderate of others. For god's sake, employ some common sense and civility.

- Slim

Last edited by SlimRider; 01-12-12 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-11-12, 06:53 PM
curly666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
So let's see...

I'm walking along the boardwalk with my family, when your son or whomever, decides to exhale a cloud of noxious gases into the path of my family, just after we've had a wonderful restaurant lunch, as we return to our vehicle.

So, I guess that's not supposed to be my business and I am suppose to be fearful to approach your son and tell him how inconsiderate he is being. He might even have been so engrossed into your conversation that perhaps, he didn't even notice us walking, or his exhalant direction.

Smoking is a disgusting habit. It is detrimental to the smoker's health and everyone within his immediate vicinity. Technically speaking, it's detrimental to all within a certain radius of the expelled noxious fumes. However, when you can no longer smell the toxic gases, you don't feel in anyway assaulted. However, second-hand smoke is a direct assault upon one's person. I liken it to a punch in the stomach!

I would have no hesitation fully explaining how inconsiderate and stupid a person is, when demonstrating their disrepect for others, by smoking in public where non-smokers dwell. That's especially, where my family is concerned. I can assure you my nose wouldn't be the one that would be rearranged.

We must learn to have mutual respect for one another. Just because smoking has not been declared an iilegal activity somewhere, doesn't give you the right to be inconsiderate of others. For god's sake, employ some common sense and civility.

- Slim
He's not capable of blowing smoke about 12-15 feet, sorry, I figured you would chime in, just wondered how long it would take, why don't you do something constructive .... like going for a bike ride. Just wanted to see how far you would take this childish thread.
Old 01-11-12, 07:03 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He's not capable of blowing smoke about 12-15 feet, sorry, I figured you would chime in, just wondered how long it would take, why don't you do something constructive .... like going for a bike ride. Just wanted to see how far you would take this childish thread.
Childish is talking about having to restrain your son from rearranging someone's nose, after having exhaled toxic fumes within their vicinity. Sometimes, pedestrians can smell smoke fifty feet away, gases have no problem covering distance. Just ask any fireman.

- Slim
Old 01-11-12, 07:05 PM
Santaria

Bikes: Surly CC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So let's see...

Snipped

- Slim
I think being fat is disgusting and bothers me significantly. Based on your rules of civility, I can walk up to fat, ugly, smelly - hell - any person that offends me in a manner that affects my "person" by definition and publicly ridicule them for their existence?

I don't eat meat and frankly, after 5 years of not being exposed to it, can't stand the smell of it. I think its a bane on society and therefore should be allowed to tell each person, in detail how they are killing themselves.

I think the stupid should not be allowed to breed, therefore if I see someone's punk ass kid macking with his girl at the mall/restaurant/movie theater I should feel compelled to go give him a piece of my mind about his abuse of existence.

I think a lot of things, as I said earlier in this post, but the greater part of civility, decorum and common decency says to mind your own business and your fellow man will mind his. The moment we start mouthing off to random strangers is the moment random strangers start getting third degree assault charges. It may feel good to say "I told him off" but then again, getting the living **** kicked out of you for approaching the wrong person at the wrong time doesn't get nullified by "good intentions."
Old 01-11-12, 07:11 PM
curly666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Childish is talking about having to restrain your son from rearranging someone's nose, after having exhaled toxic fumes within their vicinity. Sometimes, pedestrians can smell smoke fifty feet away, gases have no problem covering distance. Just ask any fireman.

- Slim
Sorry, I'm not going to go back and forth with you with this dribble, have better things to do ... like having a smoke, oh yeah, I quit. When I want to read some more comical postings I'll check back in.
Old 01-11-12, 07:20 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Santaria
I think being fat is disgusting and bothers me significantly. Based on your rules of civility, I can walk up to fat, ugly, smelly - hell - any person that offends me in a manner that affects my "person" by definition and publicly ridicule them for their existence?

I don't eat meat and frankly, after 5 years of not being exposed to it, can't stand the smell of it. I think its a bane on society and therefore should be allowed to tell each person, in detail how they are killing themselves.

I think the stupid should not be allowed to breed, therefore if I see someone's punk ass kid macking with his girl at the mall/restaurant/movie theater I should feel compelled to go give him a piece of my mind about his abuse of existence.

I think a lot of things, as I said earlier in this post, but the greater part of civility, decorum and common decency says to mind your own business and your fellow man will mind his. The moment we start mouthing off to random strangers is the moment random strangers start getting third degree assault charges. It may feel good to say "I told him off" but then again, getting the living **** kicked out of you for approaching the wrong person at the wrong time doesn't get nullified by "good intentions."
One thing about me is I've never had to worry about bullies or guys who think they're bullies. If you could see me, you would know what I mean.

I'm the guy who has traditionally been called upon when bullies assault other people. I'm not worried about that one.

Also, when people are forced to breath in or inhale toxic gases due to the active ignorance of others, I consider that to be one of the highest forms of criminal assault and clearly exemplifies the lack of civility.

The kid with his girlfriend, only harms himself and his girlfriend, who BTW is not being held against her will. She is free to walk away, call her parents, older sibblings, or the police.

- Slim
Old 01-11-12, 07:23 PM
Bomccorkle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suppose slim is the center of the universe we should all make him comfortable. Im a smoker myself who is attempting to quit. I have a script I start on tomorrow and I really hope its the ticket:-)

I don't think non smokers get "it" but to each his own......
Old 01-11-12, 07:32 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bomccorkle
I suppose slim is the center of the universe we should all make him comfortable. Im a smoker myself who is attempting to quit. I have a script I start on tomorrow and I really hope its the ticket:-)

I don't think non smokers get "it" but to each his own......
No! As an individual, I am not the center of the universe. However, I am a star, just like us all! I don't want your radiance to be anymore than my own. We're all stars within the universe and we all deserve an equal amount of respect. Nobody should be able to impose his own will upon another. Smoking in public places, and smoking within a specific radius of innocent and unsuspecting people, where they can breathe your toxic gases from burned tobacco gases is just atrocious.

We should all have the right to feel comfortable, wherever we are within the American public. We all comprise the universe of stars!

- Slim

Last edited by SlimRider; 01-11-12 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-11-12, 07:46 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
The planet is getting crowded. Those that experience undue discomfort from close encounters with strangers practicing unwelcome yet lawful behaviour should consider avoiding crowded places, or else work on changing the law, preferably in a lawful manner. Public debates may or may not get the desired result, depending on the debating skill. Peace.
Old 01-11-12, 07:48 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
So let's see...

Lets see, someone is partaking in a legal activity in a public place. Yeah, mind your own business and keep walking.

Some more food for thought
https://blog.caranddriver.com/tags/metro/
Old 01-11-12, 07:55 PM
boatrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So Slim, how do you reconcile driving a car, polluting the earth with your vehicle? I love your initial comment- judging a person on a bike smoking while you're in your car driving. What a hypocrite. Now make excuses for driving. I hope you're a troll, and not just plain stupid.
Old 01-11-12, 08:08 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boatrider
So Slim, how do you reconcile driving a car, polluting the earth with your vehicle? I love your initial comment- judging a person on a bike smoking while you're in your car driving. What a hypocrite. Now make excuses for driving. I hope you're a troll, and not just plain stupid.
People need to work in order to live. In California, it's not uncommon for people to live 60 and 80 miles from their places of employment. In fact, the rule of thumb here, is that, the further away you live from an urban center, the less expensive your home is likely to be.

I don't really have to drive that much anymore personally, but I do sympathize with those who do. There are families that would find it very inconvenient not having an automobile here in California. I primarily use my vehicle for doctor's appointments and the grocery store. Otherwise, I'm cycling!

However, there are many people who would find it most inconvenient, impractical, if not impossible, to cycle. As long as we all do as much as we can do to create a better atmosphere, is all I ask.

BTW- Plain stupid is the same as being rude, by not employing manners when phrasing questions to fellow BF members. It's also stupid to smoke. It's even more stupid to smoke in public. That's riding your bike or not riding your bike. Just don't do it!

- Slim

Last edited by SlimRider; 01-12-12 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-11-12, 08:12 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just because an activity is legal, does not make it civil, or even tolerable, for that matter...

- Slim
Old 01-11-12, 08:23 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
It is my civic duty to smoke. Minnesota has a health impact fee per pack of smokes that goes to help subsidize health care. If we all quit smoking that fund would lose a significant portion of its income. And, as I understand it, with smokers dying earlier than nonsmokers the state saves the cost of the long term end of life health care on them. So not only am I providing money for others' health care, but I am also saving the state money on my own health care by dying sooner.

Isn't rationalization fun?
Old 01-11-12, 09:56 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve0257
It is my civic duty to smoke. Minnesota has a health impact fee per pack of smokes that goes to help subsidize health care. If we all quit smoking that fund would lose a significant portion of its income. And, as I understand it, with smokers dying earlier than nonsmokers the state saves the cost of the long term end of life health care on them. So not only am I providing money for others' health care, but I am also saving the state money on my own health care by dying sooner.

Isn't rationalization fun?
May God Bless your poor soul!
Old 01-11-12, 10:04 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
May God Bless your poor soul!
I guess that steve0257's satire flew straight over your head.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-11-12, 10:23 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
I guess that steve0257's satire flew straight over your head.

No, ArtKansas!

Obviously, you've missed both the irony and the humor contained within Steve's point.

Do you think Steve really wants to contribute money by sacrificing his very own life, just for the sake of some freaking health subsidy?

He's not oblivious to the facts about smoking! He knows that smokers will more than likely NOT survive non-smokers!

He's just making light of the stark truth about the inevitability of his fate (and others), if he continues to smoke...At least something good will come of it! At least, others will benefit from either his own inability to quit or his lack of desire to quit. However, he capitalizes upon the irony of it all, by bringing a touch of humor to the situation, by stacking ideas which appear to be logical, but really are not! They are not, because in the end, only others will stand to benefit from his ridiculously undefeatable activity, which is totally self-destructive.

Tell me that you didn't get that!

- Slim
Old 01-12-12, 07:33 AM
Angelis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
.... However, I am a star, just like us all!

blah blah blah

We all comprise the universe of stars!
You smoking anything non-tobacco?

Have to ask; California and all.
Old 01-12-12, 08:31 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Is this still the "smoking" thread?
its the smoking and cycling thread. Cycling is good for the environment like hybrid cars, but smoking is pollution, like a hummer.
Old 01-12-12, 08:53 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
its the smoking and cycling thread. Cycling is good for the environment like hybrid cars, but smoking is pollution, like a hummer.
Actually, it's more like smoking is annoying to some people, like a Prius, and cycling annoys everyone, like a Hummer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.