Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 11:27 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Spoiled, entitled, selfish, ignorant people.
Thanks for bringing this up. I was going to post on it anyway. I am the only recreational road cyclist I am aware of, outside of Merida, and one of the few, including Merida. I haven't been riding at all these past couple weeks, in part because I"ve been doing a good bit of aerobic yardwork, and in part because I don't want to be seen as 'that guy'. But, with the new prognosis of another month of lockdown, I was telling my wife that I don't think I can hold out that long. She suggested I wear a mask. Good idea! A costume. To not be seen as flaunting/endangering. I will begin by doing evening rides, returning home after dark. I pretty much had to give those rides up, over the years, as traffic became untenable.
Of course I will cross paths, immediately, with the police operating the checkpoints, and will be advised one way or the other whether they approve.
Looking forward to it.

Old 04-07-20, 11:28 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I had an "Impossible Whopper" from Burger King. Tasted a lot like a regular Whopper. I'd do it again.
I've had Impossibles from a few places - some local restaurants, a couple regional chains, and most people are surprised to learn that White Castle has been serving them for a while. They're pretty good, but the differences are more pronounced when they're not dressed up in toppings and condiments. I haven't looked lately, but Impossibles weren't being sold in stores - Beyond Meat is the DIY competitor and they're decently available; Target usually has them on-hand.
Old 04-07-20, 11:30 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Ooo-kay.

In Ireland every new driver has to wear a huge "N" decal on their car for two years.
I suspect it's ironic.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 04-07-20, 11:32 AM
WhyFi

Beyond Beef. Not real fun. I am going to put it in a sort of lecso with onions, peppers, tomatoes, and a ton of paprika.
I've only tried them once and I wasn't thrilled with the patty size/thickness. Have not tried the ground variety - is that what you got? If you've used it before, can you shape it like ground beef or does it need additional... work?
Old 04-07-20, 11:33 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,860 Times in 3,154 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I've only tried them once and I wasn't thrilled with the patty size/thickness. Have not tried the ground variety - is that what you got? If you've used it before, can you shape it like ground beef or does it need additional... work?
We buy it in amorphous lumps, loosely resembling ground beef. The protein, lacking the fibrous structure of muscle, doesn't contract and hold together the way real ground beef does.
Old 04-07-20, 11:35 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Thanks for bringing this up. I was going to post on it anyway. I am the only recreational road cyclist I am aware of, outside of Merida, and one of the few, including Merida. I haven't been riding at all these past couple weeks, in part because I"ve been doing a good bit of aerobic yardwork, and in part because I don't want to be seen as 'that guy'. But, with the new prognosis of another month of lockdown, I was telling my wife that I don't think I can hold out that long. She suggested I wear a mask. Good idea! A costume. To not be seen as flaunting/endangering. I will begin by doing evening rides, returning home after dark. I pretty much had to give those rides up, over the years, as traffic became untenable.
Of course I will cross paths, immediately, with the police operating the checkpoints, and will be advised one way or the other whether they approve.
Looking forward to it.
I think that the discussion in-thread is mostly with regard to group outings. I think that most here are okay or okay-ish with solo riding. Speaking personally, I don't have any reservations, 'specially if it's actual road riding, and not cruising the over-crowded MUPs.
Old 04-07-20, 11:36 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13712 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 2,505 Posts
Only 640 horsepower. I've driven the Corvettes with a similar engine/supercharger and I always ask myself why anyone would want to drive that thing around. It just begs for trouble.
Because, reasons.
Old 04-07-20, 11:37 AM
WhyFi

We buy it in amorphous lumps. The protein, lacking the fibrous structure of muscle, doesn't contract and hold together in lumps the way real ground beef does.
Hmmm. That's kind of what I suspected/was afraid of based on their packaging. IIRC, the patties that I tried had to be damn near a half pound - not the bun: patty ratio I'm lookin' for.
Old 04-07-20, 11:41 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
I'm pretty sure that I found the R3 geo on Cervelo's site when I was shopping it in Dec...
Yep, it's there.

Under some stupid heading called "Specs".

Why on earth would they put it there, along with all the available build kits?

Old 04-07-20, 11:41 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by ericy
Don't go into a bank dressed like that
At our local bank, hats and sunglasses are not allowed, because of the cameras. Now there are people going in with masks on. But not hats

Old 04-07-20, 11:45 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

I've had Impossibles from a few places - some local restaurants, a couple regional chains, and most people are surprised to learn that White Castle has been serving them for a while. They're pretty good, but the differences are more pronounced when they're not dressed up in toppings and condiments. I haven't looked lately, but Impossibles weren't being sold in stores - Beyond Meat is the DIY competitor and they're decently available; Target usually has them on-hand.
Boca Burgers for the win

Old 04-07-20, 11:47 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Hmmm. That's kind of what I suspected/was afraid of based on their packaging. IIRC, the patties that I tried had to be damn near a half pound - not the bun: patty ratio I'm lookin' for.
I don't think it tastes good enough to put on a bun and eat. Maybe with enough ketchup, mustard, onion, pickles, relish, lettuce, mayo...
Old 04-07-20, 11:48 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,036 Times in 4,474 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Because, reasons.
Car mechanic most of my life. Driven thousands of cars. I was a car enthusiast when I was young but could never afford anything fast. Working on the things really killed any lust I had for them. Now I only see the potential for trouble, tickets, expense, etc. I always told people I hate cars when asked about them.
I worked on a lot of monster trucks, too. Not the real monster trucks like in shows, the ones people drive around. Driving those things is so impractical it's ridiculous. I imagine going to the store and trying to park it in a strip mall. When you drive some of them you can't see a car on your right at a traffic light.
Old 04-07-20, 11:52 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

I felt weird wearing a covering on my face and my glasses kept getting fogged up.
There was a company-wide announcement that masks are now recommended for people to wear.

There were dust masks passed out, I would say 50% of the company is wearing them or some other kind of covering like a bandana. I feel weird wearing one of the dust masks because I don't believe it is actually doing anything useful, and is just overall uncomfortable.

Not sure what to do, because I don't necessarily want to be grouped into the no-mask crowd that have a general "Im not wearing that stupid thing" attitude, but I feel like a total jackass wearing one because it feels like I'm just putting on a show.
Old 04-07-20, 11:52 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

I think that the discussion in-thread is mostly with regard to group outings. I think that most here are okay or okay-ish with solo riding. Speaking personally, I don't have any reservations, 'specially if it's actual road riding, and not cruising the over-crowded MUPs.
There, yes to all of the above.
I live in a different world.
A very different world.
I wasn't looking for support; just mentioning the issues
A different enough world that, after buying off-road tires, and mounting them, I've become reticent to ride off road, due to personal safety concerns. I am wealthy beyond imagination.

Old 04-07-20, 11:53 AM
WhyFi

Boca Burgers for the win
My wife likes the chicken-ish Boca Burgers, but I don't know that I've tried the meat-ish ones.

I don't think it tastes good enough to put on a bun and eat. Maybe with enough ketchup, mustard, onion, pickles, relish, lettuce, mayo...
They're pretty good with bacon.
abshipp 

My experiences as well. Best used as a filler, IMO.
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11401 Post(s)
Liked 4,756 Times in 2,766 Posts
Car mechanic most of my life. Driven thousands of cars. I was a car enthusiast when I was young but could never afford anything fast. Working on the things really killed any lust I had for them. Now I only see the potential for trouble, tickets, expense, etc. I always told people I hate cars when asked about them.
I worked on a lot of monster trucks, too. Not the real monster trucks like in shows, the ones people drive around. Driving those things is so impractical it's ridiculous. I imagine going to the store and trying to park it in a strip mall. When you drive some of them you can't see a car on your right at a traffic light.
Trucks are the main reason I took a pay cut to come to the dark side. My body thanks me every day. I could feel my knees heading south, even with underhood creepers, and the like. The powers that be didn't discriminate on the heavy stuff, nor did they care about the tech that pulled the illuminated MIL ticket, until that tech hit the profit margin, and they then decided it needed to be fixed.

"It's better, but the check engine light is still on"
Old 04-07-20, 11:56 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Originally Posted by abshipp
There was a company-wide announcement that masks are now recommended for people to wear.

There were dust masks passed out, I would say 50% of the company is wearing them or some other kind of covering like a bandana. I feel weird wearing one of the dust masks because I don't believe it is actually doing anything useful, and is just overall uncomfortable.

Not sure what to do, because I don't necessarily want to be grouped into the no-mask crowd that have a general "Im not wearing that stupid thing" attitude, but I feel like a total jackass wearing one because it feels like I'm just putting on a show.
Just get over it and wear it. Nothing more really to do.

Old 04-07-20, 12:00 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by abshipp
My experiences as well. Best used as a filler, IMO.
Protein source.
Old 04-07-20, 12:03 PM
MoAlpha
• —

I felt weird wearing a covering on my face and my glasses kept getting fogged up.
Yeah, that happens and it's a reminder that the things don't seal well. When I was a med student on my surgery rotations, I learned to tape the mask to my face under each eye.
Old 04-07-20, 12:09 PM
WhyFi

There, yes to all of the above.
I live in a different world.
A very different world.
I wasn't looking for support; just mentioning the issues
A different enough world that, after buying off-road tires, and mounting them, I've become reticent to ride off road, due to personal safety concerns. I am wealthy beyond imagination.
I'm aware that you live in a different world, I was simply clarifying because much of what you posted seemed a bit non-sequitur.
Old 04-07-20, 12:11 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,036 Times in 4,474 Posts
Yeah, that happens and it's a reminder that the things don't seal well. When I was a med student on my surgery rotations, I learned to tape the mask to my face under each eye.
They want us to wear it to prevent us from spraying droplets, not to protect ourselves. The tape is a good idea, though.
Old 04-07-20, 12:15 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Could one of you mechanics fix my turbo. It crapped out on me 5 miles from home.

Old 04-07-20, 12:16 PM
MoAlpha
• —

They want us to wear it to prevent us from spraying droplets, not to protect ourselves. The tape is a good idea, though.
I'm all in favor of masks, but I have had some trouble finding a clear concept in all the discussion. The big concern at the supermarket etc. seems to be aerosol-size droplets, which are just carried by one's breath and my impression is the mask impedes the flow of breath and causes some of that moisture to precipitate out on the fabric. If that's true, a seal means something, at least.
Likes For MoAlpha:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.