Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What are you're favorite rain tires?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What are you're favorite rain tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-14, 12:52 PM
Booger1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I ran Panaracer Tourguard for many years,liked them...Switched to Marathons,last longer than the Panaracers....Both tires worked well for me,wet or dry.
Old 08-07-14, 02:06 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It weighs 1,100 grams! That tire belongs on a four-wheel SUV. OK, not quite, but that's a heavy duty tire. That's great if you're looking for a heavy duty tire. I generally prefer tires under 500 grams, but that's just my personal preference.
As it happens, 1100 grams is also the weight of a 26x2.0 Marathon Plus, which is about what the OP is using.

Since I've already been shamelessly shilling for Marathon Supremes in this thread, I'll mention that a 26x2.0 Supreme weighs 565 grams and a 26x1.6 Supreme (still plenty fat IMO) weighs 440 grams.

I know users on this forum tend to thumb their noses at weight, but if you drop three pounds from the tires you're going to feel it.
Old 08-07-14, 03:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Have some siped 'top touring 2000 Continentals' , look like the race tires they put on cars
in races like at the ones they dont call a postponement if it rains. F1,24 hours of Le Mans vs NASCAR..

but they're on a bike without mudguards so a silly combination ..

You want them? 700-23.. though marked as wider

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-08-14 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-07-14, 03:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
That's a pretty nice weight for the Marathon Supreme. Good to know!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-07-14, 03:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Have some siped 'top touring 2000 Continentals' , look like the race tires they put on cars like at the ones they dont call a postponement if it rains.
If you had written this sentence in English, what would it have looked like? I do not understand what you think you are saying.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 08-07-14, 03:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
which part matters , selling them matters to me.
Old 08-07-14, 05:02 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you had written this sentence in English, what would it have looked like? I do not understand what you think you are saying.
Yeah,we're used to him over in the Folding forum. It's really funny when you read his posts in the Mechanics forum.

I think he's trying to say he has a set of tires with a tread pattern that reminds him of rain tires used for car racing,and he doesn't want them anymore.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 08-07-14, 08:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by fietsbob
which part matters , selling them matters to me.
If that was meant to add meaning, it didn't work for me.

Thank you, @dynaryder.

Old 08-07-14, 10:21 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
You don't get to 10k posts a year writing complete sentences.

Now, how would fb say that?
Old 08-08-14, 12:18 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The above could be applied to ANY comment made by fietsbob.

My contribution to the OP's question:

Panaracer T-Serv Pro-Tex's. I run these in 26 x 1.75, (which are actually much closer to 1.5"), at 75 PSI, as front tires. Rubber compound is exceptionally sticky. Great tires. Excellent puncture resistance. Love 'em. I can corner at speed in the rain with these with confidence. First one was getting cut up and got two flats at about 3,000 miles, I swapped it out for its twin at that point. I rotated out the second one at right about 3,000 miles to try out the Schwalbes below, but that second tire was still going strong. Looked great, didn't get cut up like the first one, and I only had one slow leak in over a year of commuting, as far as punctures goes. It's going back on my new commuter build (whenever I finally finish that!) and I expect to get quite a bit more mileage out of it.

Vittoria Randoneur Pro's: 26 x 1.5", solid, durable, not too heavy, fantastic puncture resistance, stiff sidewalls, a great rear tire for touring, commuting, or heavy loads. Low deflection, I run these at 90 PSI. I've run these front and rear on my tourer and as a rear tire on my commuter, no complaints.

Schwalbe Big Bens: been running these in 26 x 2.15", got about four months (~1,000 miles) on them now. Haven't had a chance to run them in the rain, but nice otherwise. Not as heavy as I expected. Takes up the irregularities in the road nicely, sparing my wrists some of the impact. Surprisingly, I can corner pretty extremely on these, but I am a little nervous about hitting a rock or something when I'm that far over, something about the size of tire makes me think it is more of a concern when running a tire this large. Technically, it does it, and well, in the dry and without debris, but it worries me. No flats so far, despite not even being careful most of the time about glass or debris to give these new to me tires a real test under conditions that it wouldn't bother me if I flatted (daily commute, got that much flex built into it if I need it). They've got a sweet spot where they aren't too bouncy (gonna vary depending on your weight, unless you're a Clyde, my PSI's aren't going to be real relevant for you), and I'm not real happy with the fenders I had to go to to accommodate them. The SKS 65's seem a little fragile in the stays and prone to be rubbing, I assume people are leaning against me in the rack or something, but I never had that problem with Honjos or Velo Orange fenders and it's bugging me have to bend and tweak them into a position where they aren't rubbing on a very regular basis.

YMMV,

my zwei pfennig.

Last edited by Medic Zero; 08-08-14 at 02:12 PM. Reason: A little more info on the Panaracer
Old 08-08-14, 08:43 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by Medic Zero
The above could be applied to ANY comment made by fietsbob.
Sometimes I find him coherent. Other times I wish he made more effort to be understood. Placing the burden on one's readers doesn't save trouble overall, when one has N readers spending M minutes trying to understand (for a total of N*M minutes) when one could have just spent M+K minutes writing clearly. M+K < N*M most of the time, because K is usually small and N is usually large (though unknown).

Old 08-08-14, 09:00 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
His post, while written in normal fietsbob haiku, is perfectly understandable. Siping is named for John Sipe who made slices in his shoes so that he wouldn't slip on wet surfaces. In car tires, siping improves traction in stopping and acceleration on ice and water but makes the tires squirm more on dry pavement.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-08-14, 09:19 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by cyccommute
His post, while written in normal fietsbob haiku, is perfectly understandable.
I understand that you understood what fietsbob said. Please, understand that I did not. Using the passive voice -- "is understandable" -- avoids the point that not everyone can understand everything (or even anything), and there comes a point when burden on the reader to understand the writer is excessive.

Old 08-08-14, 09:41 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
I understand that you understood what fietsbob said. Please, understand that I did not. Using the passive voice -- "is understandable" -- avoids the point that not everyone can understand everything (or even anything), and there comes a point when burden on the reader to understand the writer is excessive.
You have access to the same Internet that I do. It's a fairly simple matter of looking up words or concepts you don't understand. I actually find it an interesting and informative pasttime which expands my knowledge base. I do it for both my private life and professional life. There really is no reason to say that you (the royal you as in y'all as in people) don't understand something anymore. You can look up just about any concept in 30 seconds or less.

I already knew what "siping" was but not the history or how it worked (not exactly). The Wikipedia article confirmed my knowledge but also increased it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-08-14, 10:26 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

It wasn't the words I struggle with, it was the composition. Don't blame the reader for the writer's unclarity.

Old 08-08-14, 10:58 AM
xuwol7

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GGA1a4nyVs

I think I now understand fietsbob, it is so clear now...lol
Old 08-08-14, 11:11 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by xuwol7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GGA1a4nyVs

I think I now understand fietsbob, it is so clear now...lol

Old 08-08-14, 11:14 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
It wasn't the words I struggle with, it was the composition. Don't blame the reader for the writer's unclarity.
Yeah, fietsbob's posts are always bordering on unintelligible. It's a forum, not a sherlock holmes mystery here, I have no inclination to attempt to decode someone's pointedly obtuse posts.
Old 08-08-14, 11:16 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by xuwol7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gga1a4nyvs

i think i now understand fietsbob, it is so clear now...lol
lol
Old 08-08-14, 02:10 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes I find him coherent. Other times I wish he made more effort to be understood. Placing the burden on one's readers doesn't save trouble overall, when one has N readers spending M minutes trying to understand (for a total of N*M minutes) when one could have just spent M+K minutes writing clearly. M+K < N*M most of the time, because K is usually small and N is usually large (though unknown).
Add to that the time he spends responding to the innumerable people who post that they didn't understand what he said, and then their attempts to parse his equally cryptic "explanation"...
Old 08-08-14, 02:28 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I seem to do okay posting in complete sentences...

I like the basic Marathon and rode those in the PNW while my wife was rolling on the M Plus since changing a flat on a bike with a full chaincase and IGH isn't a 5 minute affair and these tyres have run without flats until they had to be replaced as have the Marathons.

My favourite Schwalbe tyre is the Hurricane... the ones on my expedition bike have 12,000 plus km on them with no flats and have ridden them through every type of weather and road condition and they ride better than Marathons and are just a little quicker.

Old 08-09-14, 05:08 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver

My favourite Schwalbe tyre is the Hurricane... the ones on my expedition bike have 12,000 plus km on them with no flats and have ridden them through every type of weather and road condition and they ride better than Marathons and are just a little quicker.
The Hurricane is a really nice tire for the price. I've got a set on the bike I loan to people. and all have been happy with them. Can't be beat for about 12 euro apiece.
T
t