Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Full-size folding bike recommendations?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 06:33 AM
mabehr

Bikes: Diamondback Outlook 07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking into full-size folding bikes like the Dahon Matrix. Tried it out yesterday, and was pretty impressed. It's in my price range too. The Tournado is a bit expensive. It's pretty heavy though, and even folded, is still pretty big.

Has anyone tried Montague, either their hybrid line or the Swiss bikes? (Frankly, I can't tell the difference between a lot of the bikes.) The price looks even better, and seems to fold up more compactly. Are there any other full-size folding bikes out there?

In my dreams, I'm imagining that I could use the bike as a commuter between my home and the Long Island Rail Road, fold it up, take it on the train, and then use it as transportation when I get into NYC. Is that completely ridiculous? At the very least, I can store it in my office, but I'd have to have something else to get to and from the train station.
Old 05-27-09, 07:21 AM
mabehr

Bikes: Diamondback Outlook 07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I just saw an ad for Bazooka folding bikes at the side of the page! Does anyone have any experience with them?
Old 05-27-09, 07:50 AM
itsajustme
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To make a long story short, just get a folding bike with 20" wheels or smaller. They are designed for your stated purpose and while the minute differences between small and large wheels are debated to no end in this forum, the fact of the matter is that not even the high performance folding road bikes use "full-size" wheels. The "full-size" wheeled folding bikes are for either mountain biking or marketing to people who don't know the facts about smaller wheels or just don't want to be seen riding them.

If you search the forum you'll see many threads like the one you made here and 99% of them end up choosing the 20" or smaller wheel because, frankly, that's the better choice.

Notable folding bike shops in nyc are nycewheels, bfold, sids, and, on long island, brandscycle next to the lirr station in wantagh.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by itsajustme; 05-27-09 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-27-09, 09:21 AM
joseff

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The montagues look smaller in the pics, because they're usually shown with the front wheel removed.
Old 05-27-09, 09:57 AM
Carlos71

Bikes: Strida 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by itsajustme
To make a long story short, just get a folding bike with 20" wheels or smaller. They are designed for your stated purpose and while the minute differences between small and large wheels are debated to no end in this forum, the fact of the matter is that not even the high performance folding road bikes use "full-size" wheels. The "full-size" wheeled folding bikes are for either mountain biking or marketing to people who don't know the facts about smaller wheels or just don't want to be seen riding them.

If you search the forum you'll see many threads like the one you made here and 99% of them end up choosing the 20" or smaller wheel because, frankly, that's the better choice.

Notable folding bike shops in nyc are nycewheels, bfold, sids, and, on long island, brandscycle next to the lirr station in wantagh.

Hope that helps.
What 20" folder can handle abuse like a Montague? To me it's like the best option to mountain biking. The Airnimal Rhino is too expensive.
Old 05-27-09, 10:51 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
There are virtues to all size of folding bikes. However, if you're going to take the bike on the train, 20" or smaller wheels really is the way to go.

If you can afford it, I recommend you look into a Brompton, it has a very small and clean fold. B-Fold in Manhattan has a large selection.
Old 05-27-09, 10:56 AM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I have read that the Swift folder has the closest ride to a full size bike.
Old 05-27-09, 11:16 AM
porschetoyz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hi madehr:
I have a Montague, 20" Dahons, R20s, and a Downtube mini....
If you are looking at a full size folder, thats fine....I *think* that the Montague bike is an ok starting platform. The lower end bike components are not good quality, and the bike is heavy. The upper end Montague and the Swissbike, I don't know. Forum member Raxel swapped out everything (almost?) on the frame which resulted in a lighter nice mountain bike AND a very nice FOLDING road bike.

The Montague is a large bike when folded. And it is cumbersome because the front wheel is removed. And it is heavy. The LIRR allows folded bikes on all the time. Does your office building allow bikes (folded)? You will never *hide* a Montague in a bag or otherwise.

Long story made long.... I would recommend also looking at 20" folders, strongly.
Old 05-27-09, 02:14 PM
GTALuigi

Bikes: Dahon Mu SL 08 / Matrix 08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a happy owner of a Dahon Matrix 08
simply sweet
it's been fully upgraded, it looks nothing like the original

+1 vote for the Matrix

I also own a Mu SL 08 for the very same reason, as people have stated, if you plan to jump in and out a lot of public transit systems, including train and ferries, a 20" is a better option / disguise whatever you want to call it.

most mass transit system does not allow full size 26" or larger bikes during rush hour, folded or not.

Originally Posted by mabehr
I'm looking into full-size folding bikes like the Dahon Matrix. Tried it out yesterday, and was pretty impressed. It's in my price range too. The Tournado is a bit expensive. It's pretty heavy though, and even folded, is still pretty big.

Has anyone tried Montague, either their hybrid line or the Swiss bikes? (Frankly, I can't tell the difference between a lot of the bikes.) The price looks even better, and seems to fold up more compactly. Are there any other full-size folding bikes out there?

In my dreams, I'm imagining that I could use the bike as a commuter between my home and the Long Island Rail Road, fold it up, take it on the train, and then use it as transportation when I get into NYC. Is that completely ridiculous? At the very least, I can store it in my office, but I'd have to have something else to get to and from the train station.
Old 05-28-09, 07:53 AM
Rushtrack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About two weeks ago I was down in RI and took a day trip into NY with my Paratrooper. I have slicks on it rather than the knobbies which is a great upgrade for commuting. I had no problems taking the bike on the LIRR and using it around NY was easy once there.

I agree that the Montague + SwissBike line(s?) can be a bit confusing. Generally, I'd suggest going with a SB TX, or a Paratrooper and upgrading what you want from there. But they are very solid base bikes in and of themselves.

Also, try and haggle with them for a free carrying case...
Old 05-29-09, 06:05 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mabehr
Your dreams are pretty realistic as this is what 1000s of people already do, but with small-wheeled folding bikes. I personally have toured ons small-wheeled bikes, a 20" Raleigh 20, a 16" Downtube Mini and a 18" Birdy, the latter fully loaded as well. I also commute with the Birdy daily, occasionally taking the train and folding it up. My weekly tally is about 500km on the Birdy.

There are many budget bikes available as well, the best know would be Dahon who sell everything from low end to very blingy and fast. Plus Downtube (very good value for money). The Xootr Swift while odd looking and not the smallest fold, is probably the best riding budget folding bike out there. I also have one and it is a superb performer (see sig linky for details on my bikes).
Old 05-30-09, 08:34 AM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You must ride one of the decent small wheel folders to see how well they ride. You'll be surprised.
Old 05-30-09, 08:35 AM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
In my own family, there are many different riding styles amoung us. I for one, prefer the smaller wheeled (16"-20") compact folding bikes that can be squeezed into tight places anywhere. I bought the best bike that I could afford at the time for each of my bikes. At one time, I was looking at the 26" bikes for a full size ride that I can squeeze into a rather crowded living space. After 2007, I would no longer consider the Dahon Matrix and the like. I don't like the folding system used by that brand of bike (dangle-y handlebars only attached by the cables, mandatory use of a Allen wrench to fold the bike). But for the same price, a Montague would do nicely for me using the folding system I like, and no dangle-y parts hanging when folded. I rather like the price range, the assorted frame sizes offered, and the folding system used on these bikes. I would buy one if I ride out on rather rough roads or off road. I don't ride like that at the present, but in the future......

Last edited by folder fanatic; 05-30-09 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-30-09, 02:07 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I have this

and I'm very happy with it.
Old 05-30-09, 03:33 PM
Abneycat
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carlos71
What 20" folder can handle abuse like a Montague? To me it's like the best option to mountain biking. The Airnimal Rhino is too expensive.
Bike Friday Pocket Expedition / Llama, even the Companion / New World Tourist are durable. While not the most compact, these are still far better than a Montague or Matrix in folded size. The Expedition / Llama will handle bunny hopping, curb dropping and cross country mountain biking without any question.

I believe that I will agree with some of the other posters. You are likely to enjoy a smaller wheeled folding bicycle more than a large one for your needs. Unless your commute is a mountain biking trail, you can simply own a mountain bike alongside your folder.