Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why are there so many cyclists with potbellies?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why are there so many cyclists with potbellies?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-16, 07:23 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Yendor72
You don't lose weight on the bike, you lose it at the table.
^This is definitely the answer to the OPs question. To really be fit and not have a belly or be fat, you have to really control your food intake - portions and type of food. I've noticed cyclists (and often runners, too) think that because they work out a bit by riding they can scarf down high cals and large portions. Unfortunately it doesnt work that way. My wife and I work hard to maintain our physiques, and diet is a HUGE part of that plan. We couldnt do it without watching both diet and exercise. Most people simply dont have it in them.
Old 04-21-16, 07:25 PM
Bruce27

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
And don't forget red wine and cheeze-its!
Coincidentally, having this combination right now and know it's not helping me loose those 15 lbs I'd like to send on their way.

I'm planning on having more willpower... starting tomorrow.
Old 04-21-16, 07:37 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
And the taco truck in the parking lot of the burned out building at 15th and Broadway everyday. $1,50 a taco and the are incredible....
Old 04-21-16, 08:03 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I've always wondered about this phenomenon. I have a fast metabolism and don't drink so I've been slim and @160lbs for the last 30 years. Couldn't get a potbelly if I wanted to. But I see guys on charity/group rides, club members who ride all the time and they keep their freaking potbelly. They usually wear club cut jerseys with loose sleeves but it doesn't hide anything. No, they usually aren't that fast but if someone rides all the time how does the potbelly not get burned off? Heavy drinking maybe?
Because 75% of American men are over weight, and few people have the patience to out-ride a bad diet averaging 25-30 Calories per mile.
Old 04-21-16, 09:01 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Because 75% of American men are over weight, and few people have the patience to out-ride a bad diet averaging 25-30 Calories per mile.
I did not think the post was about being over weight, although, seems that now. Pot belly...genes and breathing. Over weight is something else. If about body fat thread then Fat should have been in the OP.
Seems to me none here watches racers. If riding right, you have a pot belly. If you don't, you are not doing it right.

Last edited by Doge; 04-21-16 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-21-16, 09:32 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
6 hour centuries easy?

BS.

A 6 hour century is averaging nearly 17 mph. Most people can't do that and if you can then more power to you.
Did 6h10m 4400' on a rusty $40 Panasonic DX2000 6 years ago. No drafting, either - I was mostly off the front before the pack caught me at the end. Had myself a good ride I guess. Probably won't ever do it again -- there's a big difference between early 30's and late 30's -- but my only training was commuting all winter on a folding bike and hauling my kids around in a baby seat. That wasn't "easy," but it wasn't really hard.

I think most serious cyclists could do better than I did.

My current pot belly and I are still pretty darn happy on a bike though.
Old 04-21-16, 09:58 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
@Lazyass ... beer = potbelly
Even for women ... but women are more likely to have "pooches" because of the way we're built to bear children. I have to be borderline underweight before my pooch flattens.
Old 04-22-16, 05:07 AM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it just blows my mind that whenever a group of cyclists stop on a ride to get a bite to eat, they almost always stop and get bagels, which are one of the worst foods you can eat...
Old 04-22-16, 05:21 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratzinger
This thread has outlived it's usefulness anyway. OPs question was answered. You see cyclists with bellies because of
1) Caloric Surplus
2) Perhaps other factors like alcohol and cortisol
3) bike clothing makes you notice them.

edit: Though it's very interesting to hear anecdotes like Healthpack's above. I began writing my comment in response to Lazyass's before that was posted. It's cool that IF seems to be so helpful because it's so simple. I've had limited experience with it but I'm planning on a whole lot more.
And also:

- Cycling is the easiest sport to burn minimal calories doing.

Though it's possible to burn as many calories cycling as you can jogging (or whatever), you have to push yourself a lot more. Your body tries to be efficient, and it's easy to pedal along at a nice efficient pace that burns very little calories, especially after you've been doing it a while.

- Weak Core Muscles

A lot of people have fairly weak core muscles. The Rectus Abdominis is the outer muscles used in exercises like crunches - building this muscle up pushes fat out and gives you more of the appearance of a gut. It's about the only muscle you gain strength in when bent over biking.

The Transverse Abdominis is the muscle closest to your spine that helps keep the gut from sticking out. A lot of people with modern computer work, chairs, etc, already have this muscle become fairly inactive.

The biking position makes it worse. Having an active Rectus Abdominis but a poorly functioning Transverse Abdominis causes your belly fat to appear more prominently.

At least that's what it seems from what I've read, and since I started doing the exercises from Tom Danielson's Core Advantage - as well as concentrating on the muscles when hiking - my belly fat in the mirror is a lot less prominent without having lost any weight on the scale.
Old 04-22-16, 05:23 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX
it just blows my mind that whenever a group of cyclists stop on a ride to get a bite to eat, they almost always stop and get bagels, which are one of the worst foods you can eat...

I can think of many, many foods that are much, much worse. Bagels are great complex carbs and have a reasonable amount of protein as well. I think I may have one now, and another before my ride tomorrow.
Old 04-22-16, 05:35 AM
Sidney Porter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
I have read that the stomach is the last place to lose fat and conversely the first place to gain weight. Female seem to gain in their thighs, butt, breast and upper arms.
Old 04-22-16, 05:49 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX
Really? I can't say I've ever seen a group of cyclists stop for bagels.

I have, however, seen groups of cyclists stop for perogies (in Manitoba) and at bakeries (all over Australia).
Old 04-22-16, 05:53 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I am. It's the fastest century you can find unless the wind blows hard. It's amazing how 60 strangers can get together and go 25 mph.
Yeah I did it a few years ago. I graduated from SU but wasn't into cycling until a couple of years later. It was my first century. I spent the most time at Assateague. I only briefly stopped for pie. I do have a tendency to take my time during centuries. The last one I did I poked around an abandoned gas station and later made an unplanned stop for a bite to eat at a Revolutionary War battlefield.
Old 04-22-16, 06:08 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I am. It's the fastest century you can find unless the wind blows hard. It's amazing how 60 strangers can get together and go 25 mph.
I don't know about that. I used to do this one in the Northern Neck every year till it folded last year. Can you say big ring and corn cob? From the last rest stop to the finish was all level to slightly downhill. The wind would pick up when you were close to the coast but that is about it. It did have a few rollers. For anyone attempting their first, this was the one.

RiverRide - Home
Old 04-22-16, 06:13 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
old rich guys who are office workers who sit behind a computer and eat fast food. They commute to work in expensive BMW's and Mercedes.

On weekends, they dress up like Robin Hood in spandex and ride their very expensive carbon bikes ... Often, they ride in groups with their friends who work with them. You never see them riding in winter though, or when the weather is bad

all good though, as they are at least making an effort to get fit.
Originally Posted by stevemtbr
Its a larger gas tank to sustain us for those longer rides. Duh!
Originally Posted by PepeM
Mine's not a pot belly, it is an airfoil shaped mid-body. If you knew your aero you would understand.
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Mine is an aero belly.
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
It is so easy to over eat.... and so darn hard to body sculpt. For many (if not most) of us it requires a herculean effort. Even if someone is making the effort you don't see the finished results until after weeks or months of effort. For me (when I am lucky) I look pretty fit in parts of August and September. But the weather just turned warm enough here...and the jacket came off.

I look like a pig and it's pretty embarrassing. But I rode 3 of the last 4 days. I am back to yogurt for breakfast and salad for lunch.
As hard as I laughed I can relate to all of the above.
Old 04-22-16, 06:21 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
For the 50th and last time. I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE. I'm not talking about new riders who need to lose pounds. I'm not talking about out of shape people. I'm not talking about "clydesdales". I'm talking about those guys who are in shape, ride all the time, have years of saddle time but still maintain the huge potbelly.
Old 04-22-16, 06:22 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
The Rectus Abdominis
Sounds like a butt belly.
Old 04-22-16, 06:36 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

For the 50th and last time. I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE. I'm not talking about new riders who need to lose pounds. I'm not talking about out of shape people. I'm not talking about "clydesdales". I'm talking about those guys who are in shape, ride all the time, have years of saddle time but still maintain the huge potbelly.
Some people are apple shaped.
Old 04-22-16, 06:37 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
American diet. Take those potbelly guys out of America and put here in Japan they would all shed pounds without trying, and to top it off they would be eating better tasting food.

At least that's what happened to me and most American expats I know here.
Old 04-22-16, 06:46 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

As mentioned above ... it comes down to diet. Too much high calorie food. They are overweight, they are just carrying it in the worst possible location ... around the middle.
Old 04-22-16, 06:48 AM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by San Pedro
American diet. Take those potbelly guys out of America and put here in Japan they would all shed pounds without trying, and to top it off they would be eating better tasting food.

At least that's what happened to me and most American expats I know here.
Agreed. Or almost any other diet, not just japanese. The S.A.D. (Standard American diet) is not good. And what the government recommends is also poor.
Old 04-22-16, 06:53 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
This may not be a satisfying answer, but the fat that accumulates under the skin around the waist is in cells that do not release fat readily in response to metabolic signaling about energy deficits. This makes that fat mass slow to go away with exercise and caloric restriction. Men and women have different subcutaneous fat distributions. Men tend to accumulate it in a relatively narrow area around the midriff. Women tend to distribute it "better."

As many people have written above, losing subcutaneous fat takes a relatively large and long-term negative energy balance.
Old 04-22-16, 06:58 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
This may not be a satisfying answer, but the fat that accumulates under the skin around the waist is in cells that do not release fat readily in response to metabolic signaling about energy deficits. This makes that fat mass slow to go away with exercise and caloric restriction. Men and women have different subcutaneous fat distributions. Men tend to accumulate it in a relatively narrow area around the midriff. Women tend to distribute it "better."

As many people have written above, losing subcutaneous fat takes a relatively large and long-term negative energy balance.
It's not hard to lose a potbelly because I've helped more guys than I can remember in losing theirs and losing weight in general and got them from completely out of shape to in shape. It doesn't take a long time. It was part of my job for a quarter of a century. Especially during my time as a drill sergeant and senior ROTC instructor at Princeton.
Old 04-22-16, 06:58 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
You too? Love it! It's my achilles heel.

Originally Posted by Yendor72
You don't lose weight on the bike, you lose it at the table.
Bingo. Tell it like it is, brother!

Originally Posted by exmechanic89
To really be fit and not have a belly or be fat, you have to really control your food intake - portions and type of food. I've noticed cyclists (and often runners, too) think that because they work out a bit by riding they can scarf down high cals and large portions. Unfortunately it doesnt work that way.
Read it and weep, because it takes discipline and sacrifice for a while.

But once you have found the food regimen that works for you, it's easier. Still takes effort, but now you're used to it.
Old 04-22-16, 07:33 AM
Ratzinger
Buddy

Bikes: 80s Gardin. Green fixed-gear. POS mountain bike.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdominal_obesity

Interesting, according to this article, alcohol consumption is associated with a higher risk of obesity in men, but there isn't evidence to suggest that beer drinkers are more prone to "central obesity".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.