Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bicycling Magazine Sold

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Bicycling Magazine Sold

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-18, 04:59 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Bicycling Magazine Sold

According to the trade magazine, Bicycle Retailer. Bicycling Magazine was sold to Hearst for $225 millions. Change should start to be seen in the magazine this Summer or Fall. IMHO, I hope they make this rag better. It's not worth cleaning up after your Dog with.
Old 05-16-18, 06:19 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
$225 million?! Other than libraries, who buys this? It's 80% ads and the remaining content isn't particularly useful.
Old 05-16-18, 06:30 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
$225 million?! Other than libraries, who buys this?
I buy it whenever I have to sit in the middle seat of an airplane.

It's 80% ads and the remaining content isn't particularly useful.
Unlike this place?
Old 05-16-18, 06:44 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,521 Times in 2,862 Posts
I once had a subscription only because some online retailer gave it to me for free after I ordered from them.
In my observation, only snow skiing magazines have a more useless content-to-advertising ratio.
Old 05-16-18, 06:56 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Someone seems to enjoy pranking me with magazine subscriptions. I've had a year of Stereophile and now Golf Digest. Bicycling! is hardly bottom of the bird-cage by comparison.
Old 05-16-18, 07:10 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
I ended up with a gift subscription after renewing my racing license. Read the first issue I got, it was not very good. So the next few I didn't read I just pulled the center staples and used them as drop cloths when cleaning my chain/chain-rings. Then I realized I could just clean over a cheap tupperware. So I just started tossing them directly into the garbage can next to the mailboxes with all my other junk mail.
Old 05-16-18, 07:30 PM
Hellgate

Bikes: 333fab Ti, Davidson Ti, Guru Flite CX, Peugeot PXN10E

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I ended up with a gift subscription after renewing my racing license. Read the first issue I got, it was not very good. So the next few I didn't read I just pulled the center staples and used them as drop cloths when cleaning my chain/chain-rings. Then I realized I could just clean over a cheap tupperware. So I just started tossing them directly into the garbage can next to the mailboxes with all my other junk mail.

Me too. Terrible rag... I wish my license didn't include it.
Old 05-16-18, 09:03 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
$225 million?! Other than libraries, who buys this? It's 80% ads and the remaining content isn't particularly useful.
80% ads and 20% stories about products the advertisers sell. 100% ads, except for the staples.
Old 05-17-18, 08:12 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
See the little gold shirt over there <--? I don't see any ads. Haven't for the better part of 15 years

Originally Posted by wgscott
Unlike this place?
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-17-18, 10:27 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
See the little gold shirt over there <--? I don't see any ads. Haven't for the better part of 15 years
Always thought it was the yellow jersey.
Old 05-17-18, 10:52 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s

Always thought it was the yellow jersey.
Yea but it's for being a member of the Titanium Club. (Titanium ain't yellow)
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-17-18, 04:20 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
It's 80% ads and the remaining content isn't particularly useful.
Unlike this place?

I recently got a subscription out of the blue as well. Not sure what I bought that got me on the mailing list. But I quickly gave up reading it. I have no interest in new bikes and accessories. Everything I want to learn about cycling I learn here at BF
Old 05-18-18, 08:41 AM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
Bicycling Magazine is the magazine you read when you first get into bicycling, and for maybe 6 months afterward. Then you realize that the information you're reading was recycled from an issue 6 months ago. And you get sick of the 8 billion ads.

Someone seems to enjoy pranking me with magazine subscriptions. I've had a year of Stereophile and now Golf Digest. Bicycling! is hardly bottom of the bird-cage by comparison.
I used to read Stereophile maybe 25 years ago. Read each issue cover to cover. I loved the articles by J. Gordon Holt. Haven't seen an issue in forever.
Old 05-18-18, 09:23 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostGreenGuy
Bicycling Magazine is the magazine you read when you first get into bicycling, and for maybe 6 months afterward. Then you realize that the information you're reading was recycled from an issue 6 months ago. And you get sick of the 8 billion ads.

I used to read Stereophile maybe 25 years ago. Read each issue cover to cover. I loved the articles by J. Gordon Holt. Haven't seen an issue in forever.
I think this is fairly common for a lot of hobby and special interest publications. After you've learned how to fix a flat, listen for cable noise, or surface a piece of wood, it's more a matter of applying the specific knowledge you've accumulated over a few years' reading the publication. Then you can read the ad copy and spot the stretches, and the magazine becomes less interesting.

Of course, there are those who then sell off their bikes, woodworking tools, sailboats, or whatever, and go find a new hobby to dive into and to read about. You can get some killer deals if you know that guy at the right time.
Old 05-18-18, 10:30 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
I liked Bicycling many years ago. I had a subscription in the 70s and maybe the 80s. I currently pay a high price for a subscription to Bicycle Quarterly, and I think I get my money's worth. It's fun to read, and it's gorgeous.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-18-18, 11:55 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Stopped reading this mag awhile ago. Takes about 15 mins. to read cover to cover. The product "tests/reviews" are a joke. Might as well check any Mfrs website for more info. It's so thin it got lost in my junk mail sometimes and had about as much useful information. I like "Cycling Plus" from the UK. Expensive but each issue has more useful info than a years worth of Bicycling.
Old 05-18-18, 01:21 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I just got a subscription to Bicycling through T Mobile. They gave me a choice of a free magazine and gave me like 20 to choose from. This was the only one that wasn't like Redbook or Cosmo or Salad Making Monthly

For free, it kept me occupied on the commode nicely one time. I read a whole 9 page article on how to better prepare for riding up hills. Short version....ride up hills a lot and eventually you'll get better.
Old 05-18-18, 04:17 PM
phyko
Wheelnut

Bikes: Fuji feather, Dahon Boardwalk S1

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A paper magazine?!? What’s that??
Old 05-18-18, 04:22 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I think this is fairly common for a lot of hobby and special interest publications. After you've learned how to fix a flat, listen for cable noise, or surface a piece of wood, it's more a matter of applying the specific knowledge you've accumulated over a few years' reading the publication. Then you can read the ad copy and spot the stretches, and the magazine becomes less interesting.
Exactly. I think most of the specialty magazine are like that, although I personally think the Brits are a little better at keeping things fresh and fun.

In the end, though, the only hope for sustained interest is really good writing, and unfortunately the quality of writing is dropping off almost as quickly as salaries for journalists (obviously they are correlated).

For me, the only magazine I continually look forward to is the New Yorker.
Old 05-18-18, 09:19 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
According to the trade magazine, Bicycle Retailer. Bicycling Magazine was sold to Hearst for $225 millions. Change should start to be seen in the magazine this Summer or Fall. IMHO, I hope they make this rag better. It's not worth cleaning up after your Dog with.
Buy Cycling magazine was sold for 225 million! The advertisers must pay a mint to be in that magazine or it wouldn't have sold for that much money! It goes to show you what the reader is paying for when they buy a subscription. Nothing but advertisement.
Old 05-18-18, 09:22 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by noglider
I currently pay a high price for a subscription to Bicycle Quarterly, and I think I get my money's worth. It's fun to read, and it's gorgeous.
Do they print it on their tires?
Old 05-19-18, 09:57 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Do they print it on their tires?
That would present a good value for the money. I haven't had the fortitude to cough up the money for Compass tires yet. I might one day. Maybe when I get a windfall, I'll treat myself.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-19-18, 10:19 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
If one of their authors, and I'm not singling out any particular mag, could write a truthful product review, I might buy a magazine once in a while.
All the reviews seem phony..... more like advertisement to buy the product.
Old 05-19-18, 12:26 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I used to get Runner's World magazine, which, if I'm not mistaken, is the same publisher as Bicycling. But after realizing the articles in there recycled themselves year after year, I cancelled. Bicycling magazine is the same thing. I'll browse through them at the library when I take the kids there, but I wouldn't pay for it.
Old 05-19-18, 02:14 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Buy Cycling magazine was sold for 225 million! The advertisers must pay a mint to be in that magazine or it wouldn't have sold for that much money! It goes to show you what the reader is paying for when they buy a subscription. Nothing but advertisement.
Not exactly. Hearst completed its transaction with Rodale to acquire the company’s established health and wellness lifestyle brands—including Men’s Health, Women’s Health, Prevention and Runner’s World—and a book publishing arm. Bicycling Magazine is just one piece of the Rodale organization.
IAW https://nypost.com/2018/01/09/hearst...-random-house/
Hearst will will flip its recently acquired Rodale book division to Penguin Random House.

In addition this article states that "The Hearst purchase price came in well under the original $225 million estimate, sources said, partly a result of Rodale’s shrinking profits."

Edit: For anyone wanting to read an interesting article on the consolidation of magazine titles and the new business model read: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/19/business/media/time-inc-oral-history.html
or https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/27/b...lory-days.html

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 05-20-18 at 04:19 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.