Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

GCN Plus and App shutting down!!??

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

GCN Plus and App shutting down!!??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-24, 04:17 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
I was in Max the other day and couldn't find anything cycling. Maybe user error.
Yup. User error. I just didn't dig deep enough through the lists. The organization in the Roku app is pretty sketchy.
Old 03-20-24, 05:24 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
I was in Max the other day and couldn't find anything cycling. Maybe user error. Maybe because I don't have the add-on package. I think there was some freebie cycling for a bit a while back. Did that go away? Or am I just imagining?

As far as commentators:

I've got a lot of patience and sympathy for Ant McCrossan. "Go sit in a box by yourself and ramble on for hours." Tough duty. Good job.

Carlton Kirby is a piece of work, for sure. Sometimes I wonder how he and Sean Kelly can be in the same team but somehow they make it work. I'm not a big fan of all of his esoteric rambling indulgences, but I admire his ability and passion for getting worked into an absolute lather in a sprint finish. Carlton and Dan Lloyd took a long pull in the middle part of MSR and weren't nearly as naughty as they have been in the past.

I can't make it through too much Rob Hatch coverage, particularly in the lowlands, without thinking of NPR's Sylvia Pojoli or the SNL Enchilada skit with Jimmy Smits.

As I type this, Landa just went off the front, Pogacar blew past him, and GC Kuss is trying to catch up. Kirby is being good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWMp_z7Jnxw
Thanks for the Smits link but they are really pale compared to Ant, Rob, and that Dutch chick who has been covering some of the Eurosport races lately. One wonders who they think their audience is? I lived in Belgium for 5 years and never heard pronunciation like hers.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 03-25-24, 11:21 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Jose Been. Wife and I just look at each other and giggle when she starts with the gutturals or gets "Groenewegen" out in 2.3 syllables. McCrossin can barely say "Uijtdebroeks."
Old 03-29-24, 08:12 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Just subscribed to Peacock; it was only I think $2.99/mo with the TV package we already have. However it doesn't seem to have the Tour of Flanders, nor does Max, so we're going to miss out.
Also, Peacock has the same issue as Max in that you really have to look for the cycling content on the sports page, and it's not well labeled. Last night we wanted to watch the daily highlights of Paris-Nice, which we hadn't seen live. But only certain days had highlights clips; some were Christian and Bobke in some post-race commentary vlog thing, and some of the highlights weren't labeled as such. On MAX, they'll show as UPCOMING races that happened several days prior, as if they don't have the feed yet. However if you click through, you'll get that white-screen-with-blue-paintbrush thing for a bit...and then the program will start. Took us a while to realize that.

As with everything media related these days, you have to pay more but you are still going to get less.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 04-02-24, 07:29 AM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
I only found GCN+ last year butI loved the racing, the commentary and the rest. Being retired, I was able to have a race on as background noise, but good noise, pretty much non-stop while in my house. This was terrible news to me, so I have read all of this thread and see there are some options now. But, I am not good with technology, hate computers and don't know how to live stream. I read in this thread about things like Tiz, Euro, TDF, Flobiker, Peacock, Max, Flosports, VPN, etc, but don't know what any of it is except Max and Peacock.

Can someone help me by just telling me which of those options are the easiest to find and watch? Not the best, or the cheapest, but the easiest. If I can just get started, I can watch some racing while I take the time to figure out which might be better.
Old 04-02-24, 11:44 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Peacock or Max are easiest but you miss a lot of events and the far better commentary.

If you can pay with European coin of the realm, set up a Discovery + or Eurosport account and VPN to it. It's far better (quantity and quality) and still pretty easy except for the money laundering.

Watching highlights on YouTube is easy too.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 04-02-24, 02:32 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Hi, spinnconn. I and I'm sure others will try to get you set up somehow. If you were able to access GCN+ then you are able to manage at least some technology.
First question though: where are you located? I think most BF membership is in the US or Canada, but not all, and if you're in the UK or EU, that would be very different.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 04-02-24, 03:11 PM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
Hi Chicago Al, I am in South Carolina. I just found some stuff on Utube, and I have the 2023 UCI Road World Championships saved to watch. So, I can figure out Utube for prior races at least. Looking at Max next later tonight to see what I can find there, especially for live coverage. I hope to get set up in time for Paris-Roubaix. My favorite is the Giro, so I have some time before that to figure it out.
Old 04-02-24, 03:54 PM
Chicago Al 

Okay, cool. I figured you were likely in the US. If you already have a Max subscription (WHY did they change the name from HBO???) then you've already got some cycling available, and it's the same Eurosport feed we were used to on GCN+. However it's only some races, and not Paris Roubaix, unfortunately.

On Max, just scroll along the top bar to 'BR Sports,' I think BR stands for Bleacher Report or something. Once there you'll have to scroll down to find cycling events, and they don't make it easy. This is apparently going to be 'free' with the Max subscription until later this year, maybe before or after the Giro (which they will have). Hopefully by that time it'll be better organized, because as I noted above they'll show races as 'upcoming' though they happened days earlier.

For most of the French races (TdF, Paris-Roubaix, Paris-Nice, etc) AND the Vuelta, you need a subscription to Peacock. You might find as I did that adding it to the package I subscribe to was only a few dollars per month.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 04-02-24, 04:00 PM
Chicago Al 

RE: Tour of Flanders

Last Sunday my wife and I really wanted to watch this though we unavoidably had spoilers during the day. Since it was not on Peacock or Max, I thought of trying Tiz for the first time. Tiz is a pirating site with lots of cycling coverage from all over and multiple mirror sites so you can stream it on your device. I was able to find the Eurosport/English feed for Flanders and mirrored it from my iPad to our Apple TV, but I couldn't get it to go for more than a couple of minutes without freezing.
Second choice was to download the whole race, and for that I fell back on cyclingtorrents.nl, which I had not used in a few years. It was not hard to get it downloaded as we have fiber and there were lots of peers sharing it. I was able to get it on the TV via screen mirroring, with a bluetooth speaker as screen mirroring doesn't send audio. It was only 1080 resolution but looked fine on our 55" TV. The 6+ hr race comes as several discrete files, and each time you have to choose the correct audio track, but that gave me a chance to annoy my wife by choosing say the Dutch or Italian commentary. ;- )
It was a spectacular race!

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 04-05-24 at 10:11 AM.
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 04-03-24, 05:34 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

You Peacockers are lucky ASO bought La Vuelta. And unlucky RCS is still independent.

It's a pity Flo still has a flohold in the classics.
Old 04-03-24, 10:44 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Good thing I didn't cancel my VPN because Flo is restricting viewing of Basque to Canada
Likes For GrainBrain: