Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ashland/Klamath Falls to Portland in Winter

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-17, 04:07 PM
zayantecycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there,

Anyone have experience going through Oregon during the winter? If so, what route did you take?

I'm looking to ride from either Ashland or Klamath Falls (whichever I end up at) north to Portland in early December. I've been been trying to decide if it would be easier to follow the I-5 corridor on backroads, or to go east of the Cascades and follow 97 in the hopes of potentially staying drier. And yeah, I've heard the whole 'crazy idea' thing a whole lot.

Last edited by zayantecycle; 11-06-17 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-06-17, 06:17 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Klamath Falls to Portland:
- Highway 97 is OK in the summer, but you will likely have snow covering the shoulders by early December. There is probably snow on it now. Check out ODOT "Trip Check": https://tripcheck.com/DynamicReports/Report/Cameras#.

-Temperatures are a lot colder east of the Cascade Mountains. Could easily be in the low teens by December.

- You will have to go over the Cascade Mountains at some point to get to Portland. Most Pass levels are about 5,000 feet, and I know there is snow on the roads right now. The weather was so bad Sunday, our ski patrol training was rescheduled

Ashland to Portland:
-There are not any good routes paralleling I-5 for most of the way from Ashland to Eugene.

-There is a good chance that there will be snow on the shoulders from Ashland to the Grants Pass area.

-The Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway will get you from Eugene almost to Portland. It is easy to pick your way from near the end of the Bikeway to Portland.

- From Roseburg north there is a good chance it will be raining, if it is not snowing.

- You could ride I-5 all the way, but that would suck.

Last edited by Doug64; 11-07-17 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-06-17, 07:30 PM
fantom1 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've gone down the coast in mid-October and up to Crater Lake then down into Klamath Falls. That wasn't very fun many times (sleet is just not fun to cycle and setup camp in). At least I was going with the wind, which you might not be. Still though, it was a memorable tour. I wouldnt want to do it any colder though.

Like others have said, that is going to be one cold, snowy, rainy, sleety, ride.

Last edited by fantom1; 11-08-17 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-07-17, 01:14 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Doug's right, there may not be any marginally pleasurable routes parallel to I-5 from Ashland to Eugene. I've been hunting for some, but keep coming up with gaps, especially in the winter months. (Check back in four years; I'm tied up and won't be able to check out routes on the bike in that area until then.)

However, if you can get to the coast (not really a joyful ride from Ashland in winter either), then the prevailing winds in the winter are south to north. Unfortunately, those south winds are generally loaded with rain. Added downside: ODOT has tried, with some success, to create rideable shoulders on the southbound side of hwy 101. The northbound side has been ignored, so you'll have more times when you'll have to be hypervigilant regarding what is overtaking you from behind.

If you do manage to get to the coast and ride up it, I would recommend coming into the valley just north of Reedsport on Smith River Rd. (Smith River Rd to South Sister Rd (becomes Oxbow Rd) to Siuslaw River Rd to Wolf Creek Rd to Territorial to Crow Rd and on into Eugene). When bad things happen to cyclists on the coast, it's almost always north of Florence, so one way to avoid that is to leave the coast. These roads are all paved and mostly very low traffic, low enough that you shouldn't count on being able to flag down anyone for assistance between the coast and Crow.

If you do make the ride, check back in and let us know your route and how things went. I admire your pluck for entertaining the notion of making this ride. It could be a grand adventure (do have a bail-out plan, just in case).
Old 11-07-17, 11:31 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Sounds cold, wet and miserable. And that’s on a good day.
Old 11-13-17, 04:16 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Yes, don't ride highway 97. Working your way up from Ashland is better. You'll start in Rogue River drainage, have to climb out of there into Umpqua River drainage. This is very mountainous and route finding is tricky for those not familiar with Oregon.

For me, as bad as the weather can be, the hours of daylight is very short and a real limit for this ride. Use the best fenders, rain gear and blinding front and rear lights. I can't think of anyone living in Oregon who would attempt this ride, we all know what the probability of misery is.
Old 11-13-17, 08:56 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by zayantecycle
Hi there,

Anyone have experience going through Oregon during the winter? If so, what route did you take?

I'm looking to ride from either Ashland or Klamath Falls (whichever I end up at) north to Portland in early December. I've been been trying to decide if it would be easier to follow the I-5 corridor on backroads, or to go east of the Cascades and follow 97 in the hopes of potentially staying drier. And yeah, I've heard the whole 'crazy idea' thing a whole lot.
One more time,
Crazy idea.
Here is a route out of Klamath Falls,
The Oregon Outback - BIKEPACKING.com
another through Ashland
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...id=143536&v=EZ

I have pedaled the Oregon coast 2 times in december, and once in march. How good is your rain gear? For the mountains, do you like to get rained on all day, and have your stuff turn to ice in the below freezing night? I have pedaled through the Portland winter many times. How good is your rain gear?

Try to get 88% medium cushion wool socks. The extra few %s make wet feet less of a problem. No such thing as water proof boots.

90% of the water on your feet comes off the front tire. Is there a thread about fender extenders somewhere?
https://www.rei.com/product/814714/p...b-fenders-60mm

Last edited by chrisx; 11-13-17 at 09:24 PM.