Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

your thoughts on the LYNSKY tourer.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-15, 08:09 AM
antokelly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Any of you touring folks bought the latest Lynsky touring bike yet.
i was looking at one on u tube ,cracking looking bike,pretty expensive i bet but i suppse u get what u pay for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gitC4rKariY.

so yeah if you have one whats it like to tour .i cant find a review on utube by someone who actually toured on one.

anto
Old 07-12-15, 10:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Nope , too rich for me , I use my funds on the trip itself , not overspending on the bike , I can eat at nice restaurants that way.

Its true you can find people to fix a steel frame .. Ti, You just Go Home with a Broken Bike .

There was someone who posted Buying one of their Ti Bikes in Commuting ..

In the EU theres this : https://www.vannicholas.com/27/Amazon_Rohloff/bike.aspx

a NL importer of Asian Ti , rather than TN made inUS

derailleur ... https://www.vannicholas.com/8/Yukon/bike.aspx , € 1299(incl. VAT)

https://www.vannicholas.com/12/Amazon/bike.aspx .. € 1399(incl. VAT)

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-12-15 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-12-15, 10:25 AM
vatdim

Bikes: Drag Grizzly, Raleigh Pioneer Venture GT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Added to my wishlist.

But seriously, would it be much better than a Dawes Galaxy or Ridgeback Panorama? I mean, what would be the marginal gain? I am genuinely interested to know if someone here can actually make a comparison.
Old 07-12-15, 11:00 AM
krue1971

Bikes: Trek EX 9, Lynskey Ridgeline, Salsa El Mariachi, Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know about their touring bikes but I picked up one of their Ridgeline MTB's used and it is a truly nice riding bike to be a hardtail.
Old 07-12-15, 11:22 AM
antokelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm cycling these days on a Terry Dolan Tandem its my friends bike,but he owned a dawes galaxy tandem defore this new new bike and he compairs them like chalk and cheese ,the dawes was heavy and sluggish he hated the barend shifters well his wife done the shifting.
but going up market has to be better and i reckon that Lynkey TI would be one sweet ride.i wouldn't worry to much about it breaking i treat my bikes like gold .
but yeah is it not better to have a lightweigh bike like the TI and state of the are groupset.
Fietsbob i suppose if a fella could afford one, eating in resturants would not be a problem.
Old 07-12-15, 11:37 AM
mijome07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I seen this awhile back. Really nice bike. I'd get all black components and racks. But that's just me.
Old 07-12-15, 11:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I'm living in an old town, (well its all relative) *, being surrounded by places to eat and drink .. favorite Bar in the middle of all of them

You could sell Books and revues of your meals and trips, Tom Vernon made a career doing that ..

* 1811 vs 1066 or 1492, Or the Neolithic Era.
Old 07-14-15, 01:04 PM
dubes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure how helpful this will be, as I have a 2014 Backroad with S&S couplers (frame and fork only), not the 2015, and I have not used it for loaded touring. I will say that the 2015 model has had an eye-watering price increase vs. 2014. I bought it as frame, fork and headset only and then built the bike up as a 3x9 (Shimano MTB cranks / derailleurs with bar-end shifters) with mechanical Avid BB7 disc brakes (so that I could use splitters on the brake cables for taking apart the bike).

To my non-expert eye the frame appears well built and finished, though the couplers don't line up quite as neatly as I would have expected in that I do have to use a little bit of torque to get the teeth lined up for the top tube and the down tube at the same time (this is my first and only S&S coupled bike, so I have no basis for comparison). The welds appear nicely finished/patterned if you're into that sort of thing (I'm not), but only time will tell if I'll experience a crack--hopefully not, but one of the reasons I went with Lynskey is their experience with titanium, their lifetime warranty, and should I need service the factory is relatively local in Tennessee.

This is no whippy titanium frame. I mostly ride it unloaded or minimally loaded, and it is stiff when standing on the pedals, and I also feel the road buzz--or would, except that I've figured out that cutting tire pressure a few PSI vs. how I inflate my steel frame bike takes care of the buzz. I imagine if I were carrying panniers, it would also help dampen the road vibrations.

I wanted the Backroad because of the extra tire clearance (there are more Ti frames with clearance for 42+mm tires now than when I ordered the frame last winter) so that I could use it as an "all-road" type bike, and for that it's been great. Just this weekend I did a 40+ mile ride on a mix of paved roads, gravel, and dirt, and had a heckuva time doing it. (We're talking fire roads, not singletrack, but it's just the kind of riding I was looking to do on this bike.) I do use the bike for commuting in winter, with work clothes and laptop mounted to the rear rack, and the bike handles predictably with the extra weight on it.

Other: It looks like for 2015 the fork is extra? (In 2014 it was included in the price of the frame.) I admit I don't love the Lynskey touring fork. Functionally, it's adequate, but the paint is thin and scratches easily, and tire clearance isn't great (it's spec'd for 700C x 42, but IMO you can forget about anything with knobs at that width). If you have to pay extra to get it, I suggest skipping it and picking up an after-market fork instead (e.g. Salsa Vaya, Surly Disc Trucker, ...).

Mike
Old 07-14-15, 05:19 PM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
I have a Salsa Vaya Ti, the frame is made by Lynsky. I got it because it was on deep discount, probably the last 50cm one left in the country. It's nice. I haven't toured on it yet.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 07-14-15, 09:40 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I just did a short tour on a 2015 Lynskey Urbanskey (same as the Cooper CX). Not as beefy a frame as the Backroad, but more than enough to get the job done. Really like how the bike handled fully loaded.

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...-planning.html
Old 07-16-15, 03:23 AM
antokelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Super cool set up Alan bike looks fantastic.
u just can't beat hand built quality.