Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Remove stuck pedal?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Remove stuck pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-19, 03:43 PM
brs485932

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remove stuck pedal?

Hello - Working on getting my 25 year old Schwinn mountain bike back on the road after 20 or so years of storage. Need to replace the stock pedals and the non drive side pedal is stuck... Drive side came off but VERY tight and could tell there was significant corrosion due to dissimilar metals. few questions:

1: Non drive pedal is reverse thread correct? clockwise to remove?

2: Plastic pedal is already broke... any reason to not use a air grinder to cut the main pedal off the stud then use a torch to heat it up and an air impact w/ impact socket to free it up... seems like the quickest option but not sure if to extreme... I have been watching lots of videos as I work on this project and have not seen any reference to air tools.

3: Thinking about Race Face Chester pedals as a replacement... any thoughts or other recommendations? Just looking to go ride with my son who is very young so it will be parks, remote dirt roads or paved side walks and nothing to extreme. They seemed to have good reviews for the price point and riding style based on some internet research but could easily be swayed... I wear a size 15 shoe so not sure if I should look for something bigger?

Thanks!!
Old 04-16-19, 04:09 PM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by brs485932
1: Non drive pedal is reverse thread correct? clockwise to remove?
This is correct
Old 04-16-19, 04:15 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Peddle wrench and rubber mallet.
Old 04-16-19, 05:18 PM
brs485932

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a 15mm wrench on it with a 3 pound dead blow.... no luck

even basically lifted myself off the ground pushing on it... felt like it was starting to round the nut off.

hit it a few times with penetrating fluid... going to let it sit for some time and see if that helps.
Old 04-16-19, 05:24 PM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Ouch, looks stuck allright!

You ARE looking at the bike from the non-drive side when you say clockwise to remove, right? When I have my bike on the stand and am facing the drive side, I need to remind myself which way to go when working on the non drive side, it's confusing when you're not facing it the right way!
Old 04-16-19, 05:48 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Perhaps penetrating oil and time -- a few days -- if you have another bike to ride in the meantime.
Old 04-16-19, 06:02 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Put a 2x4 between the crank arm and the frame and have a friend hold it. Put long cheater-bar on the pedal wrench. I've got one about 4 feet long that usually does the trick.
Old 04-16-19, 06:09 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Don't know what penetrating oil you used, but this stuff usually does the trick: PB B?laster Penetrant | The B'laster Corporation
Old 04-16-19, 06:36 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Running 2 sets of raceface chesters with my size 16's, all good.
Old 04-16-19, 09:26 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by brs485932
I had a 15mm wrench on it with a 3 pound dead blow.... no luck

even basically lifted myself off the ground pushing on it... felt like it was starting to round the nut off.

hit it a few times with penetrating fluid... going to let it sit for some time and see if that helps.
Remove crank arm, clamp in bench-mounted vise, apply pedal wrench with cheater bar to increase leverage. Ensure you are applying torque in the proper direction.
Old 04-16-19, 11:39 PM
CraigMBA

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Monstercross Touring Rig, and a couple of others

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it's galled from dissimilar metals, household ammonia will break down the aluminum oxide.

So I hear.
Old 04-17-19, 12:48 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Bench vise. Last time this happened I disassembled the pedal down to the spindle, then just took the crank arm with stuck spindle to the LBS since I don't have a workshop with bench vise anymore. They tried a long wrench too, no luck. I think they clamped the spindle in the bench vise and used a cheater pipe on the crank arm. Whatever, it worked.

Now I'm careful to grease the threads and avoid overtightening pedals.
Old 04-17-19, 05:51 AM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
I had one stuck so bad, that it took stripping the pedal down to the spindle, dropping a 5/8" nut over it, and spot welding it to the spindle -
By putting a box end wrench on it, I was THEN able to break it loose.
Old 04-17-19, 06:29 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Remove crank arm, clamp in bench-mounted vise, apply pedal wrench with cheater bar to increase leverage. Ensure you are applying torque in the proper direction.
^This, precisely. Remove the crank arm and use a bench vise.
Old 04-17-19, 07:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
last resort, chuck the crank arm w/ pedal attached? getting new pedals so wutz the diff. if you replace that one arm, as well?
Old 04-17-19, 10:05 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
If the pedal just won't come off, see if there is a bike co-op near you and ask them if they have any crank arms you could have or buy. Here at the Bike Exchange in sillycone valley we have boxes of them . During our recent move I sorted through all of our cranks and chainrings and threw away a couple boxes of them, took another couple boxes home with me, and still had s@@t loads of them in the shop.
Old 04-17-19, 10:10 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
how about some proprane torch heating and then cooling, might break the rust stick a bit. Ive used this in car stuff a few times and it seemed to help, I know propane isnt as hot like a proper welding torch, like they do in a car garage to help loosen rusted stuff, but it is worth the try if you have it.
Old 04-17-19, 10:18 AM
Racing Dan

Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Perhaps penetrating oil and time -- a few days -- if you have another bike to ride in the meantime.
Penetrating oil does absolutely nothing to free it.
Old 04-17-19, 10:24 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
This is exactly right.

If it's stuck, more force will just increase the potential for more damage. Penetrating oil will not damage anything, on the other hand, and should reduce the amount of force needed to get it to budge.

Penetrating oil does take a little time and patience. But it's worked wonders on sailboats over the years, where one tends to find a mixture of stainless steel, aluminum, galvanized steel, and bronze in every-day use, mixed in with sea salt and bird poop.
Old 04-17-19, 11:04 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I have a Park pedal wrench that is bent from using a 4ft. cheater bar on a very stuck pedal. That pedal was rusted in place fairly well, and after penetrating oil for a few days it was still a monster to get off. Still use the Park wrench.
Old 04-17-19, 11:27 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I use a mixture of acetone & trans fluid, squirt it and during a couple of turns squirt it again etc, really gets inside subborn threads, works almost immediately
Still tough, but makes life a bit easier

Last edited by le mans; 04-17-19 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-17-19, 01:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I call one of my Co Workers over and we work together on It , 1 Wrench 1 holds.

or bike on the ground, big Park Pedal wrench & my foot.
Old 04-17-19, 07:34 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
This is going to sound a bit off-the-wall but it often works. It's an old trick I learned from the owner of the first shop I worked in back in the 70's. I think he was a machinist before he started his bike shop.
-
  • Things you'll need: old pedal wrench that still fits tight, Kroil penetration fluid (the best for this job) , ball peen hammer, a partner or a stack of bricks
  • First: turn bike on its side with stuck pedal down. Douse the pedal shaft threads with Kroil or another thread penetration fluid and let sit for an hour or so then douse it again.
  • Grab onto the pedal shaft with the pedal wrench and put decent tension on the wrench and start lightly tapping the wrench (2 or more taps per second) with a ball peen hammer very near the end closest to the pedal...maybe 2 or 3 inches back from the end.
  • Keep tapping and increase pressure on the wrench as you tap. Don't pressure so much that you round-off the pedal flats. Take your time. It's a LOT easier with a partner to hold the crank while doing this, or, stack bricks under the other pedal to keep the crank from rotating.
  • If it doesn't budge, douse with more penetration fluid (again, Kroil is the best for this), wait and try again.
The action of tapping the wrench with a hard-faced hammer and increasing tension on the wrench acts like a pneumatic impact driver and will often break the galvanic corrosion bond.

Note: As was stated before by another poster, time is your friend. Let the penetration fluid do its job. It may even take a couple of days of repeated dousings and tapping. A good industrial hardware store or industrial supply store will have Kroil. Kroil is truly amazing stuff.

--

Last edited by drlogik; 04-17-19 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-17-19, 09:27 PM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Not all cranks can be saved. I have forced a stuck pedal to unscrew from a crank and it pulled aluminum stuck to the pedal threads through the aluminum crank ruining the crank threads. After all of that work (and it was a lot of work with a long cheater bar) to throw both parts away. If it was me, unless this is a crank to which I am spiritually connected, after a certain amount of effort, I replace the crank and save my best efforts for more worthy challenges. Good luck.

-Will
Old 04-18-19, 03:49 AM
Racing Dan

Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
"Let the penetration fluid do its job"

What job is that exactly? Penetrating fluid does not dissolve the oxidation that is the reason the pedal is stuck in the first place. I have tried this several times with stuck pedals and stuck seat posts and Imo its just wasted. Its force and/or torque that the breaks the part part free, not the oil. Oil helps lubricate after the fact. Imo ..

Last edited by Racing Dan; 04-18-19 at 04:21 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.