Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

SPD shoes for commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

SPD shoes for commuting

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-16, 01:38 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
SPD shoes for commuting

My old shimano SH-MT22 MTB shoes with recessed SPD cleat have finally crapped out on me after nearly 8 years of hard daily use. much respect to a truly durable cycling shoe.

i would love to simply buy another pair of this shoe because it was so damn durable and worked perfectly for me, but apparently the SH-MT22 isn't made anymore and i'm having a bit of trouble finding something like it.

so, with that said, here's what i'm looking for:

- SPD recessed cleat compatibility
- reasonably comfortable for walking around off the bike
- lace-up design (no fugly straps!)
- something that looks normal enough to wear in a casual office environment (ie, no neon-orange accents or lime green laces or bold graphics/logos or anything stupid like that)

does anyone have suggestions for shoes that i should be looking at?

P.S. - there's no need to tell me that i should just ditch clipless pedals and get regular shoes and platform pedals. i freaking LOVE SPD foot retention and i will not be giving it up under any circumstances. that's a non-starter for me.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 09-15-16 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-15-16, 02:20 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
There are five pairs of SH-MT22 tires on E-Bay right now (plus one that the seller wants the Fort Knox treasure for).

As winter is around the corner, I really like the Shimano SH-MW series shoes for winter commuting. Is it the MW7, MW700 or MW81 now?
Old 09-15-16, 02:37 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Originally Posted by CliffordK
There are five pairs of SH-MT22 tires on E-Bay right now (plus one that the seller wants the Fort Knox treasure for).
yeah, and none of them are my size

Originally Posted by CliffordK
As winter is around the corner, I really like the Shimano SH-MW series shoes for winter commuting. Is it the MW7, MW700 or MW81 now?
thanks for suggestion, but i'm not looking for a winter boot, just a regular everday SPD shoe.
Old 09-15-16, 02:37 PM
birru

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2007 Pinarello Galileo 105, 2014 Raleigh Cadent 2, 2017 Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been wearing the Giro Rumble VR in blue. They're fairly comfy (a tad narrow, but they break in over time). They basically just look like old school sneakers but I get compliments on them from time to time. My only complaint is that the cleat isn't too recessed, so on some outdoor surfaces I get a bit of cleat contact.
Old 09-15-16, 03:15 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

^ yeah, those caught my eye, but i'm unsure about the blue color. the fact that you get cleat contact also persuades me against them.

the chrome Kursk Pro 2.0 in black also caught my eye. does anyone have experience with this shoe?

i'm not crazy about the red griffon (or the red soles for that matter), but i suppose it's not too garish.
Old 09-15-16, 03:57 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
the chrome Kursk Pro 2.0 in black also caught my eye. does anyone have experience with this shoe?....
If those are OK, maybe Shimano's SH-CT80GO work? (I can't tell if there's an SPD slot so that may be a deal breaker):
Old 09-15-16, 04:06 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

^ yeah, those might just fit the bill:

- they are SPD recessed cleat compatible, check.

- shimano's website emphasizes their walkability off the bike, so that's a check too.

- traditional lace up design without any fugly and nearly ubiquitous "bike shoe" straps, that's another check.

- i'm not crazy about the orange accents and over-done design, but again, the styling isn't wildly garish or stupid, half-check.

and given the excellent service life i got out of my SH-MT22's, i am fairly inclined to go back to the shimano well again.

120 bones is a little spendy, but if i get another 8 years out these, then it's money well spent i suppose.

the shimano SH-CT80 could be a winner, thanks!

Last edited by Steely Dan; 09-15-16 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-15-16, 04:19 PM
birru

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport, 2007 Pinarello Galileo 105, 2014 Raleigh Cadent 2, 2017 Jamis Renegade Expert

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Chrome Kursk look the business and REI carries them so you could probably check them out in person. I went with the Giro Rumble VR since it turns out the Kursk seemed to run about a size too big. I also didn't try them with cleats in place, so I'm not sure about cleat contact.
Old 09-15-16, 06:50 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I haven't tried these, but my MTB shoes from specialized last forever. This line is wearable: 2FO ClipLite Lace Mountain Bike Shoes. This line is wearable. I would have bought a pair instead of the regular MTB but they didn't have the color and size I wanted in stock.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh...e-shoes/118319
Old 09-15-16, 08:13 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I know you said no straps, but the ratcheting straps are pretty nice. I hate messing with laces. Plus, laces are just another thing to worry about getting caught on your chainring.
Old 09-15-16, 08:26 PM
insignia100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 47 Posts
I wear shoes similar to these: https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-iZUMi-S...rl+izumi+shoes

Pearl Izumi makes a lot of street-style shoes other than that one.
Old 09-15-16, 10:15 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I have two pairs going right now. Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek VI, and Specialized Cadet. Both are lace-up style with subtle non-flashy design or wild colors. The Cadets are black/gray and came with bright fluorescent yellow laces which I swapped out for black on day one. The Pearls are a simple black/gray with a plain mesh design pattern. Either pair can be worn casually without being uncomfortable or inappropriate. I paid about $75 for each pair.

-Kedosto
Old 09-16-16, 12:34 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 523 Posts
I've had a pair of Shimano MTB41's for as long as the o.p. has had the 22's. Maybe longer. They are still wearable but only barely. I looked them up but found that they too don't exist anymore. It would appear that the MTB50 is the closest modern equivalent to the 41's and there is probably an equivalent for the 22 as well. It's not that big a deal. I get the retro-grouch thing to a point. But only to a point. FWIW.
Old 09-16-16, 05:34 AM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
+1 for Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek. I have the V women's version in grey/purple and love them, I think it meets all of the OP's requirements. They lace up, easy to walk in off the bike and look like regular sport sneakers.
Old 09-16-16, 09:18 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
No suggestions for Bontrager SSR's? I got them at my LBS during a special bike club only event for only $40, in my gargantuan US size 13. I've been commuting with them for the past 2 years now, and had to wear them around the office once when I forgot my regular shoes.

Old 09-16-16, 11:47 AM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giro Republic. Or Republic LX if you want to spend more money.
Old 09-19-16, 07:48 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

so i went with the shimano sh-ct80's, mostly because my last shimano shoes were so damn durable, and because the ct80's are the least ugly shoe shimano currently makes.

I got 'em over the weekend and this morning was my first ride with them. they seem really nice. they feel a lot like my old shoes, which is great because i LOVED my old shoes.

they're slightly big for me at size 44, but that's cool because they'll accommodate thicker socks on chilly days, and the lace up design still allows me to get 'em snug with regular socks.
Old 09-19-16, 08:04 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

the chrome Kursk Pro 2.0 in black also caught my eye. does anyone have experience with this shoe?

i'm not crazy about the red griffon (or the red soles for that matter), but i suppose it's not too garish.
I used Chrome Kursk Pros for many years (including touring in France). I didn't bother having a change of shoes in the office - I wore the Kursks all day. They are heavy shoes for riding, but that was the only downside.

Originally Posted by rfmarotti
Giro Republic. Or Republic LX if you want to spend more money.
This is my current shoe, I wouldn't wear them in the office, but I really like the fit, function, and looks of this shoe. While walking, they are a little slippery on wet surfaces.
Old 09-19-16, 08:10 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
so i went with the shimano sh-ct80's, mostly because my last shimano shoes were so damn durable, and because the ct80's are the least ugly shoe shimano currently makes.

I got 'em over the weekend and this morning was my first ride with them. they seem really nice. they feel a lot like my old shoes, which is great because i LOVED my old shoes.

they're slightly big for me at size 44, but that's cool because they'll accommodate thicker socks on chilly days, and the lace up design still allows me to get 'em snug with regular socks.
OOPS! I'm late on my advice.

BTW - Shimano is a solid choice! I have a very old pair of Shimano MTB shoes that I still use all the time.

IMG_20160411_191953572.jpg
Old 09-24-16, 07:44 AM
rsterman

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am currently converting a 1988 GT All-Terrain Outpost to a hybrid style bike in the short term, and eventually do a drop bar conversion. My main ride is a 1973 LeJeune TDF. It has the Lyotard platform pedals to which I have added the Christophe cages and toe straps. Being vintage myself, I have grown to really like them. This is a little outside the intention of this thread, but I'd like to ask anyway. The main reason is because I want to buy a decent pair of cycling shoes for platform pedals that will receive the toe cages and straps I already have. I plan to upgrade the quality of the platform pedals, but they must be compatible with the Christophe cages & straps.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks folks!
Old 09-24-16, 08:18 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
I keep comfortable slip on shoes at the office, but often ride to client meetings with Sidi SPD mountain bike shoes that look kind of techy (very comfortable though). Fortunately my clients are very bike-friendly

It is interesting to think about having something sexier for this purpose, like the QUOC Urbanite ($$$), but the Boston climate is often inclement. Perhaps some protective goo would help the nice leather survive. Does anyone have experience with such product?
Old 09-24-16, 12:48 PM
smckown

Bikes: 2000 Merlin XLM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a pair of SH-WM64's for about 6 months and I like them. Cleats are recessed, 2 velcro and 1 ratchet strap makes for fast on/off, and styling is more neutral (not screaming bike shoe). The shoe is comfortable on the bike and for walking. I got them on sale at my LBS for 1/2 off as part of an inventory closeout. They had no more of the men's SH-M89 in my size, and the SH-WM64 seems like the same shoe and fit fine. I haven't had them long enough to comment on their durability, but they look to be well constructed.

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Women.../dp/B013QBI5TM
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-SH-M0.../dp/B00LWGUXSU

These shoes don't meet SteelyDan's criteria, as they are not lace up. But I couldn't help not suggesting them as I've liked them so much myself.

Last edited by smckown; 09-24-16 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Add links to shoe pics
Old 09-25-16, 04:06 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Have you considered leaving a pair of regular shoes under your desk for work? It's what I do, and it lets me wear whatever cycling shoe I want.
Old 09-25-16, 07:06 AM
smckown

Bikes: 2000 Merlin XLM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
Have you considered leaving a pair of regular shoes under your desk for work? It's what I do, and it lets me wear whatever cycling shoe I want.
This!

My bike shoes are comfortable, but I've never considered wearing them when at work. I wear out shoes pretty fast so I want to save my bike shoes for the bike. That's why I've never considered lace-ups -- I want bike shoes that are fast on and fast off.

I still prefer a comfortable, recessed cleat, neutral styled bike shoe. They win for running errands and the like. I've never liked clacking down the aisles in the grocery store.
Old 09-25-16, 09:14 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 529 Posts
I've been using the Shimano MT33 shoes. I like them but they are a bit heavy and narrow. I only wear them when cycling, but they seem to be comfortable enough to wear off the bike. Price is right, too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.