Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting with a Road Bike or a Hybrid: How much of a difference are we talking?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting with a Road Bike or a Hybrid: How much of a difference are we talking?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 09:21 AM
tariqa
Ancient wisdom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some say Road bikes are the best commuting bikes while others say it depends on the distance.

How much of a difference in times, comfort, etc is there between commuting with a road bike vs a Hybrid?

Personally I think hybrids are too slow and heavy but road bikes are way too uncomfortable to ride over an hour straight but if a road bike shaves time off of a commute, then I would probably opt for a road bike. Nothing frustrates me more then spending longer then I have to on the road so for that decrease in time spent on the road I would probably opt for the roadster over the hybrid..

What are your thoughts?
Road bike or Hybrid for long/short commutes?

Last edited by tariqa; 06-25-13 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-24-13, 09:27 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would say that for me a road bike can average up to 2-3mph faster than a hybrid. That doesn't amount to a whole lot of time on a short to medium commute. There is also a middle ground with cyclocross or touring bikes, which are faster than typical hybrids, and more commuter friendly than pure road bikes.
Old 06-24-13, 09:27 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by tariqa
Personally I think hybrids are too slow and heavy but road bikes are way too uncomfortable to ride over an hour straight
You can get some very light and nimble hybrids these days, and my experience is that a road bike is much more comfortable over long distances than a hybrid. Both can be very fast (edge to the road bike for aerodynamics, etc.), depends on the engine.
Old 06-24-13, 09:33 AM
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator

Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Schwinn Impact, 1973 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
My commute is 9.4 miles. Riding hard on a racing bike I could do it in 35 minutes, and riding easily on a hybrid it took 45 minutes. So to me, the answer is there isn't much of a time difference. Ten minutes is an eternity in a race, but not much time out of your day.
Old 06-24-13, 09:34 AM
joshuatrio

Bikes: Giant TCR C1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with SouthFLpix with the 2-3mph estimate. On my flat bar hybrid, I can average 17.5mph over 11 miles. On my road bike (weighs 8lb less), I can average just over 20mph over the same 11 mile route.

Comfort wise, if you get a good fit, the road bike should be as comfortable as the hybrid. Having more hand positions is nice (with the drop bars), and getting in the drops on downhills is always fun too.

If your commute is in a city with lots of lights, cars, pedestrians, I'd probably opt for a flat bar - because the geometry/bars allow you a little more control over the bike, especially at lower speeds (some may disagree). If your commute has very few obstacles, and allows you to reach good speeds, I'd go road bike.

If you're unsure - go out and ride both of them and see what you prefer.
Old 06-24-13, 09:34 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tariqa
Personally I think hybrids are too slow and heavy but road bikes are way too uncomfortable to ride over an hour straight but if a road bike shaves time off of a commute, then I would probably opt for a road bike. Nothing frustrates me more then spending longer then I have to on the road so for that decrease in time spent on the road I would probably opt for the roadster over the hybrid..
If your objective is speed go with the road bike. Even a fast hybrid is not as fast.

As to comfort, a well-fitted road bike, when trying to go fast, is more comfortable for long or short rides.

However, if you want to relax and speed is not your main objective (which it sounds like it is) then a hybrid would be okay. IMHO, the best of both worlds is a bike set up for touring. It has more relaxed "road bike" set up (i.e., a little more upright position, more stable geometry), but can also have fenders and racks placed on easily.

I've had hybrids and I don't anymore. To me they are too much of a compromise. The fast ones are harsh riding, and you are still sitting more upright and hitting the wind. The comfortable ones just don't seem efficient to me.
Old 06-24-13, 10:20 AM
calyth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started to get back to bike-commuting, and for my relaxed road bike / tour bike (it's braze-ons for racks, front and back), I can hold about 30km/h on flats. When i'm trying, my 10km commute is almost 30 minutes.

How fast you can pedal probably matters a bit more than the weight, but things you could change could be the tires, unless you really just want a reason to get another bike
Old 06-24-13, 10:40 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
MY road bike saves me about 4-8 minutes (depending on wind) over MY hybrid along MY 15 mile one-way commute.

some factors that play into it:
  • MY road bike has drop bars, MY hybrid does not: i can get more aero on the road bike when lake michigan is acting all windy and obnoxious.
  • MY road bike has better, lighter, faster tires: more speed.
  • MY road bike has better wheels w/ better hubs: more speed
  • MY road bike is ~10 pounds lighter: faster acceleration from stops.
  • MY road bike has more aggressive geometry: i can more efficiently put power into the pedals compared to MY hybrid.
  • MY road bike has derailleur transmission, MY hybrid has an IGH: IGH's are cool, but slightly less efficient than derailleurs. because MY hybrid is my foul-weather ride, the slight efficiency penalty is more than off-set by easy maintenance-free riding in crappy weather, IMO.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 06-24-13 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-24-13, 10:50 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
A properly fitted and adjusted road bike should not be uncomfortable. I would argue that for an in-shape cyclist, a road bike should be more comfortable than a hybrid -- particularly on longer rides. A road bike allows you many different hand positions, allowing for more comfort, better aerodynamics and more efficiency and speed. Comfort is also determined by your tires and your saddle. Wider tires generally provide more cushioning but can increase your workload if they are heavier and you ride on a lot of hills. Saddle comfort is an individual matter depending on your sit bones, fitness, weight, and style and amount of riding.
Old 06-24-13, 11:08 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Depends on the road bike - depends on the hybrid. The notion that all road bikes are equivalent and all hybrids are equivalent is stretching things more than a bit.
Old 06-24-13, 11:33 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I recently switched from a rigid mtb to a drop bar bike with fat tires (I'm running 26 by 1.5); this allows me to have what I think is the best of both worlds. I recently built the bike up from a frame I had sitting around; it's a 1993 Bridgestone XO-2.

There are plenty of road bikes out here that take a fat tire and which make a good commuter. A cross bike like the surly cross check will work well; so would a touring bike. Alternatively (and a lot cheaper) just find a vintage road bike that takes fat tires. You won't pay a lot and you'll have a great commuter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ExportXO2.jpg (99.5 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by bikemig; 06-24-13 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-24-13, 11:42 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My 4 mile commute takes 20 minutes whether I ride my road bike, fixed gear, or old MTB. It's the stop lights that determine my commute speed, not the particular bike. However, if your commute has long stretches of open road or path, then it will make a difference.

As to comfort, if you can't be comfortable on a bike for more than an hour, it hasn't been properly fitted to you. Racers and century riders certainly can ride for many hours without discomfort, if their bikes are properly fitted. Finally, drops are much more comfortable for me because they offer so many more hand positions than flat bars.
Old 06-24-13, 12:42 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
i suppose it also depends on what kind of road bike you get? steel, aluminum, or carbon? that's will change the whole weight/speed factor.

i commute on a MTB with slicks and a rack, and since it's a mid 90's MTB its chromoly, and probably weighs a good 30+ pounds, not including the rack and cargo.
if you buy an expensive, light road bike, well there ya go.

anyone know how much the surly cross check weighs? for an average frame size - say 52cm?
Old 06-24-13, 01:03 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
redacted.

Last edited by spare_wheel; 06-24-13 at 01:16 PM. Reason: i lacked reading comprehension
Old 06-24-13, 01:07 PM
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
As a flat bar aficionado I disagree with just about every point you made.

*A hybrid is simply that...a hybrid between a mountain bike and a road bike. They can be as racy as a high-end road bike or as tough as a DH mountain bike
*A bike with true race geometry is far more aero than both the typical hybrid and the majority of road bikes sold.
*Road bikes and hybrids can accommodate the full range of tires. I run 25mm on my hybrids and road bike.
*There are many hybrids that are roughly comparable in weight to the equivalent road bike. For example, my customized orbea diem weighs ~19 lbs without pedals while my road bike weighs ~18 lbs without pedals. Both my carbon fiber hybrids are lighter than the 21 lb lugged steel road bike I sold a year ago.
*Most medium to high end hybrids have a relaxed road bike geo. In fact, many of them are simply road bikes with different stems, bars, and seat posts. Most road bikes sold have a relaxed geo. Few would find an aggressive race geo to be comfortable for daily riding.
*I have owned 8 hybrids (and destroyed 4) and none of these bikes had an IGH. For example, my "A" commuter currently has full ultegra 6700 compact, mixed XT/LX hydros, and r770 shifters (ultegra level).
I have a feeling you misunderstood him. He was talking about his road bike vs his hybrid.
Old 06-24-13, 01:09 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
As a flat bar aficionado I disagree with just about every point you made.
dear lord, i thought one would be able to infer that i was talking about MY road bike and MY hybrid. oh well, there i go assuming once again.

i've edited my previous post to make it crystal clear that i was speaking only of MY experiences commuting with MY bikes. YMMV, of course.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 06-24-13 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-24-13, 01:16 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
dear lord, i thought one would be able to infer that i was talking about MY road bike and MY hybrid. oh well, there i go assuming once again.

i've edited my previous post to make it crystal clear that i was speaking only of MY experiences commuting with MY bikes.
When you write something here on BF, please keep in mind, unless otherwise noted, you are writing for all of humanity, past, present and future. Please choose your words more carefully next time.
Old 06-24-13, 01:24 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Speaking for all of humanity, past present and future, ten minutes faster twice a day is a LOT of time saved.
Old 06-24-13, 01:26 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
i've edited my previous post to make it crystal clear that i was speaking only of MY experiences commuting with MY bikes. YMMV, of course.
apologies, steely dan. i am a little thenthetive about flats vs drops . (if i commuted on the lakeshore path my bikes would all have drop bars.)
Old 06-24-13, 01:59 PM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A road bike will most always be faster but I find them more uncomfortable only because of the reach to the hoods and having to look up is harder on my neck. For short commutes the road bike is always best. For longer commutes like over 1 hour, I would opt for a Hybrid or most any flat bar bike with slicks and a geometry adjusted so you can be slightly more upright to watch your surroundings in traffic but not fully upright so you can remain aerodynamic in windy conditions.
Old 06-24-13, 03:31 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My road bike has more aggressive geometry: i can more efficiently put power into the pedals compared to my hybrid.
There you go...................geometry and FIT.

I believe fit is the problem that most people have.................if you can't pedal the dang thing it's like a car with a slipping transmission.

If you have a long reach to the hoods............you have a fit problem.

I ride the tops on my Pro Wings and can see as well and am a lot more comfortable than when I rode "wings stuck out" on my hybrid.

Think about it.......the riding position with riser or flat bars, with grips at the ends of the bar, is closely akin to that of a duck as it lands on a pond. The duck is TRYING to slow down.
Old 06-24-13, 06:17 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I bought a hybrid and rode it for about 9 years. During all that time I said that it was totally fine, I really quite liked it and was very comfortable riding it.

This spring I decided that $1000 wasn't that big of a deal to me and given all the people who had been trying to convince me to give it a try, I should order a road bike.

I've got about 1100 miles on the road bike right now. It turned out to be an eye opener for me - I tried riding the hybrid again a few weeks ago and I HATED it. It's like pedaling a brick.

I won't be able to ride the road bike this winter, but I don't know if I can go back to the hybrid either. I may wind up buying a cross for foul weather.

Last edited by ItsJustMe; 06-25-13 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-24-13, 07:09 PM
bunkiefd4

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was commuting on a Trek 8.3 but switched over to a Specialized Roubaix and love it. My commute is 4.8 miles one way. I carry a small back pack so I'm really not toting much. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 06-24-13, 07:42 PM
Watchdog

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Blizzard (stolen), Haro Roscoe (sold), Giant TCX Rabobank, Cervelo RS, Rocky Mountain Altitude

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this doesn't really directly answer your question, but I commute on a cross bike and I like the flexibility it provides. For most of the year I run 28 mm Marathon Supremes for flat resistance and they're nice. During the summer I'll sometimes run 23 mm Michelin Pro Race tires. I find my cross bike to be quite comfortable.

What is it about a hybrid that makes you more comfortable vs. a road bike?
Old 06-24-13, 08:02 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Another vote for cyclocross here... and when conditions get really foul, a good old mountain bike. I don't care much for hybrids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.