Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-19, 07:49 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Q.
Are bikes right handed?
There's a lot of extra weight on the RH side.
The chain ring, the chain, the guard, the sprocket
and sometimes a dynamo.
Thoughts?
It is technically imbalanced, but the amount of it doesn't matter. If you have a steel frame fully aligned by a frame expert, it will not veer to the right on a smooth level floor, if you can actually launch it straight. In riding, the imbalance is not detectable.

If it was imbalanced by a single pannier with 40 lbs in it, that might be a different story, but I don't intend to try it. However, my wife's shopping bike remains easy to ride with one shopping pannier filled.
Old 04-19-19, 07:50 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by Ballenxj
It's all good. Sometimes the need to explore different topics is a refreshing shot in the arm. No experience with a TR-4, but I'll bet it was fun.
Very torquey engine, yes it was!
Old 04-19-19, 07:58 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
The closest I came was a 1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500. That was a fun car too.
Old 04-19-19, 08:42 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Those old English sports cars were fun. Back in the 60s you could pick up things like MGAs and bug eye Sprites for cheap. Most of my friends had English motorcycles and sports cars back then. They were usually far from pristine and we made many trips to Stucker's junk yard to replace broken parts with less broken parts. They're getting more rare on the road all the time. I still light up when I see one.
Old 04-19-19, 08:57 AM
Ballenxj

Originally Posted by BigChief
They're getting more rare on the road all the time. I still light up when I see one.
Yup, me too. I remember replacing the U-Joints on the axles (irs),While fairly straight forward, was still a learning experience. I had priced it out at a British automotive shop, and the quote set me back. That's when I decided to do it myself. I think after a couple hours worth of cussing and kicking, I ended up with a job well done, for a lot less money.
Old 04-19-19, 09:47 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
I still have some Revere ware. It's very durable stuff, but to be frank, they don't cook as well as heavier pots.

@gster, we have diners (of that style) all over NY and NJ. Do you not have them in Ontario? Generally, the food and service are mediocre, but prices are low, and it's an overall comforting feeling. Eggs are one of the safe things to order, so I have them for dinner.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-19-19, 10:36 AM
Ballenxj

Originally Posted by noglider
I still have some Revere ware. It's very durable stuff, but to be frank, they don't cook as well as heavier pots.
My opinion, nothing beats cast iron, but cast iron is, well, heavy.
Old 04-19-19, 10:46 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Lake Pepin 3-speed tour coming up! May 18-19th this year. Most of the hotel rooms in Wabasha are booked but there are a few left. The town is very much aware of the 3-speed crowd showing up every year!

If you are going, a nice investment is a county road map of the area around Maiden Rock to Pepin, Wisconsin and also the areas south of highway 61 on the Minnesota side. There are side road detours that are well worth taking. The Tour really shows off how well three speeds wheels are suited for pavement and gravel.
Old 04-19-19, 11:27 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts

@gster, we have diners (of that style) all over NY and NJ. Do you not have them in Ontario? Generally, the food and service are mediocre, but prices are low, and it's an overall comforting feeling. Eggs are one of the safe things to order, so I have them for dinner.
Don't forget Pennsylvania, that state has (or had) some of the best diners in the east. The food was good to good-enough, and the service varied from excellent to surly. Many menus were like reading a short story.
Old 04-19-19, 01:05 PM
Road Fan

My opinion, nothing beats cast iron, but cast iron is, well, heavy.
I wonder how 531 would work as a frying pan?
Old 04-19-19, 01:23 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
My late father-in-law from around 1980 - coming home from SLAC to Campbell, CA. He also had a TR-3, TR-4, MGB(?), and enough junkers to provide parts for all of them. He would have had a shop rag wrapped around his left foot to absorb the brake fluid that was leaking. My wife and I took the TR-3 on several excursions through the coastal mountains toward Santa Cruz and Capitola. Good times. The TR-3 had a large diameter steering wheel - OK at speed, but a bear to steer when parking. A small diameter wheel would have required a Samson at low speed.

Last edited by dweenk; 04-19-19 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-19-19, 01:37 PM
Ballenxj

Originally Posted by dweenk
My late father-in-law from around 1980 - coming home from SLAC to Campbell, CA. He also had a TR-3, TR-4, MGB(?), and enough junkers to provide parts for all of them. He would have had a shop rag wrapped around his left foot to absorb the brake fluid that was leaking. My wife and I took the TR-3 on several excursions through the coastal mountains toward Santa Cruz and Capitola. Good times. The TR-3 had a large diameter steering wheel - OK at speed, but a bear to steer when parking. A small diameter wheel would have required a Samson at low speed.
It's good you have an image of him doing what he loved to do. I'm sure your wife appreciates it too. I'm sure a smaller wheel would have increased the effort required for steering.
Old 04-19-19, 02:38 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 288 Posts

No, we don't have any of those "classic" diners here in Ontario (that I know of).
Whenever we travel through the US, we try to hit up a few on the way.
Last couple were in Albany and Lake George.

On the topic of bicycles I picked up and old paperback today
"Bicycle Care and Repair, Ben Burnstyn 1979.
Lots of 3 speed SA diagrams etc.
Old 04-19-19, 07:06 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Here's something fun....a friend of mine was looking up directions for how to get somewhere earlier today, and happened across a picture of me riding my Raleigh Tourist to work last fall on Google Maps Street View!

Old 04-19-19, 07:51 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts

Old 04-19-19, 07:55 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Just picked up a Hercules at the bike Exchange. This one has an AMF sticker on the chain guard. I have never seen a bike with stamped steel lugs before. Must have been a very low end bike. It does say Made in England though so maybe imported to be sold by a chain store here in the US.

Did my thing :

Cleaned and rubbed out the frame and Clear coated it and the chain guard with Rustoleum Automotive grade clear enamel. New tires and tubes, new cables and covers, and swapped out some forged chrome brakes for the original stamped units. The wheels cleaned up nicely . The outside was fairly rust free but the inside under the rim strip looked terrible. Some time with a wire brush followed by some naval jelly then a coat of paint and they were ready to mount the tires . These rims are exceptionally thick and strong and there was nowhere that the integrity of the metal was questionable. I tried to clean the white pedals but the bad one was too far gone. I scrubbed it in acetone and then let it soak in bleach but never got it very white so I put a pair of chrome lyotard pedals on it. I had a bit of trouble mounting the front fender and had to shorten the stays a bit to get it to fit right

Anyway, here it is. Kind of a pretty bike . It would make a nice beach cruiser I think.
Old 04-19-19, 09:37 PM
Ballenxj

Originally Posted by agmetal
Here's something fun....a friend of mine was looking up directions for how to get somewhere earlier today, and happened across a picture of me riding my Raleigh Tourist to work last fall on Google Maps Street View!
How COOL is that?
Old 04-20-19, 03:01 AM
PeterLYoung 

Location: Southport, North Carolina, USA & Pevensey, East Sussex, UK

Bikes: 1)1992 Trek 970, 2)2010 Trek 6500, 3)1973 Colnago Super, 4)1955 Freddie Grubb Meteor. 5)1993 Airborne Ti-Hag Titanium. 6)1936 BSA 602DX Roadster. 7)1957 Philips P2 Sports. 8)1955 Dayton Roadmaster. 9)1948 Humber Clubman. 10) 1949 Sunbeam WA3 Wayfarer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
When Triumph Cars developed the TR 2 + follow ons 3, 3A, 4 & 4IRS they used a 4 cylinder Tractor Engine, I guess they could not afford to develop a new engine from scratch being shortly after WW2. It was a good solid gutsy engine built like a tank, it had wet removable cylinder liners. You had to be careful taking the head off not to disturb these liners, if you did and did not realise and put it back together, water leaked into the engine crankcase and you were in trouble. It was best to clamp them in place while you worked on the engine. My favourite Triumph engine was the 1600cc six cylinder engine in the Vitesse 6. It had a flywheel both ends of the crankshaft and was so smooth on idling you could stand a coin on edge on the rocker box.

just some useless information seeing as we are getting off subject some!!!
Old 04-20-19, 04:35 AM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by capnjonny
Just picked up a Hercules at the bike Exchange. This one has an AMF sticker on the chain guard. I have never seen a bike with stamped steel lugs before. Must have been a very low end bike. It does say Made in England though so maybe imported to be sold by a chain store here in the US.

Did my thing :

Cleaned and rubbed out the frame and Clear coated it and the chain guard with Rustoleum Automotive grade clear enamel. New tires and tubes, new cables and covers, and swapped out some forged chrome brakes for the original stamped units. The wheels cleaned up nicely . The outside was fairly rust free but the inside under the rim strip looked terrible. Some time with a wire brush followed by some naval jelly then a coat of paint and they were ready to mount the tires . These rims are exceptionally thick and strong and there was nowhere that the integrity of the metal was questionable. I tried to clean the white pedals but the bad one was too far gone. I scrubbed it in acetone and then let it soak in bleach but never got it very white so I put a pair of chrome lyotard pedals on it. I had a bit of trouble mounting the front fender and had to shorten the stays a bit to get it to fit right

Anyway, here it is. Kind of a pretty bike . It would make a nice beach cruiser I think.
Looks great. Nice job. There was a big consolidation of the English bicycle industry in 1960. The Hercules plant in Birmingham was shut down, but the name lived on with bikes made at the Raleigh plant in Nottingham. This is one of those. While it is a lower cost model, the frame is exactly the same as a top of the line Raleigh Sports. An interesting thing about those lugs are is that they are not cast. They were press formed out of a single piece of steel. Nothing cheap about them. The steel may not be a chromoly alloy, but it is harder alloy than what was used in the welded frames of that time. True, it is a roadster and not a high performance bike, but it is a good, well made bike and I think you will find that it's a pleasant ride.
Old 04-20-19, 05:15 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts

I like mediocre diner food. Bike touring makes it ok!
Old 04-20-19, 06:23 AM
BigChief 

There's a few genuine vintage rail car diners left in Maine. Here's a good one.

Old 04-20-19, 06:48 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by PeterLYoung
When Triumph Cars developed the TR 2 + follow ons 3, 3A, 4 & 4IRS they used a 4 cylinder Tractor Engine, I guess they could not afford to develop a new engine from scratch being shortly after WW2. It was a good solid gutsy engine built like a tank, it had wet removable cylinder liners. You had to be careful taking the head off not to disturb these liners, if you did and did not realise and put it back together, water leaked into the engine crankcase and you were in trouble. It was best to clamp them in place while you worked on the engine. My favourite Triumph engine was the 1600cc six cylinder engine in the Vitesse 6. It had a flywheel both ends of the crankshaft and was so smooth on idling you could stand a coin on edge on the rocker box.

I also recall reading BITD that the Triumph 4's had under-square cylinders - back then it was believed that a narrower cylinder bore and a longer piston stroke (longer throws on the crankshaft, equivalent to longer crank arms) resulted in higher torque at lower RPM, relative to a larger cylinder bore and shorter stroke, at constant displacement (cubic inches). Makes sense that it was a tractor engine. I assume the same was true for the 6 cylinder.
Old 04-20-19, 07:18 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterLYoung

I have wast... put to good use and enjoyed several hours viewing the My Junk E-type Engine video series on YouTube.
Old 04-20-19, 07:20 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Originally Posted by capnjonny

I think you've done a good job on this one.
I usually remove those aftermarket generators and lights as well.
I've got a black 1967 AMF Hercules in the shed.
Old 04-20-19, 07:44 AM
gster

Originally Posted by BigChief
There's a few genuine vintage rail car diners left in Maine. Here's a good one.

I wish I was there right now!
I'd be at the counter with a plate or corned beef hash
and eggs.....
Or cheeseburger and fries if was a bit later.
I have a really good book that lists them all state by state.
Most are to be found in the NE.

This book has a good chapter on building a wheel.

Frankie Drake set.
This was built in an alley in Hamilton Ont.
You can see a DL-1 front wheel on the right.
The interior was built in the studio.
The address in the transom (188) is
a- a lucky number (Chinese)
b- my home address
The set's been torn down since.

A ladies' DL-1 in the bg.
This looks to be the old Carpet Factory on Sherman in Hamilton.
Her motorbike started off as a 350 Enfield from India but
was later switched to a Janus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.