Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Mips

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-18, 01:06 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,862 Times in 3,155 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Have you looked at the actual tests involved for certifying bike helmets? They're pretty insignificant in determining how protective a helmet is on a neurological level.
True for concussion, but I totally buy that they mitigate point loading of the skull and thereby prevent skull fractures and the resulting cascade of arterial tearing, epidural bleeding, and rapid death.

It's worth adding that the scientific understanding of the mechanism of concussion isn't very good, so it's rather hard to engineer around.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 07-11-18 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-11-18, 01:09 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
These tests are basically unverifiable guesses as to the types and amounts of forces the head will experience in an accident. We really can't know whether they're good or bad guesses.
Yep. Judging by my automotive test experience, they more or less look like they are just measuring that the helmet mostly stays intact and isn't likely catch on anything during an initial and subsequent impact.
Old 07-12-18, 05:23 AM
db9091

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the one hand, the article involved in this thread states:
"For the bicycle helmet project, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety contributed its expertise in analyzing roadway crashes, in addition to financial support.

“Our goal with these ratings is to give cyclists an evidence-based tool for making informed decisions about how to reduce their risk of injury,”
"

On the other hand, I supposed, articles can and do overstate the truth (iness?) of such studies.
On the other hand, Insurance Institutes, which use actuaries who use their mathematical skills to ensure Insurance companies make money off of people based on actual tragedies have an interest in NOT misleading people into buying BS helmets vs Safe ones.

At some level, unless you're a neurologist, you're not going to understand the level of granularity involved in a study and have to rely on some level of interpretation to discriminate on helmets.
They say Neurologists developed MIPS. So if that's NOT true, or studies are NOT really getting at a useful level of determination, I imagine that deception would be a great hoax to crack.

You folks here that are Doubters could be onto the biggest sports scoop of the decade!

Last edited by db9091; 07-12-18 at 05:27 AM.
Old 07-12-18, 05:29 AM
db9091

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Is there a downside to getting one, other than having to dust off your wallet?
From what I've seen there are comparable MIPS helmets to non-MIPS, so that shouldn't be an issue. And considering you need to replace your helmet every 5 years anyways...
Old 07-12-18, 05:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,546 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by db9091
And considering you need to replace your helmet every 5 years anyways...
That should make this thread take off.
Old 07-12-18, 06:05 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
And considering you need to replace your helmet every 5 years anyways...
Originally Posted by indyfabz
That should make this thread take off.
Anytime these two bolded phrases are used in the same sentence, hysteria will reign. Especially when combined with the word wear, use, buy, or replace.
Old 07-12-18, 07:46 AM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I have one. Why? I needed a new one, Dr. Tusk recommended it, and it fits well.

Will I replace it in 5 years - only if it is broken.
Old 07-12-18, 08:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I usually replace my helmet once a year because I drop the damn thing so many times, I figure I must have damaged it by then.

I never pay more than $45 for a helmet, and usually half that. Nothing I've seen indicates there's any correlation between cost and safety, and as long as it's comfortable and ventilated, I'm not going to notice marginal effects on aerodynamics, etc.
Old 07-12-18, 08:35 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,862 Times in 3,155 Posts
My head is overdue for replacement, so the helmet is a secondary consideration.

On a serious note, I'm agnostic on the question of helmet longevity, but not on the positive evil of plastic in the waste stream. It would be nice if whoever wants us to replace these things would make provisions for their recycling.
Old 07-12-18, 10:02 AM
db9091

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I haven't seen a study back up the need for replacing every 5 years.

Plus, and maybe this is my naiveté, but if a helmet breaks down that fast, then isn't it OK for the environment?
Or was the claim it hardened, instead of weakened? IDK.

My thought is, if there wasn't a recall, or you haven't had a serious crash with the helmet that caused it to compress or crack, why replace it?

My biggest reason for replacing a helmet, actually, is accessorizing. If I change my bike colors, I get an appropriately colored helmet. Vanity rules! (plus I make sure it's MIPS now)
Old 07-13-18, 08:34 PM
ahanulec

Bikes: Felt F85, Proflex 757, Proflex 252

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I had an unfortunate opportunity to field test a MIPS equipped helmet. It worked well enough that I bought another to replace it.

I really couldn't see a down side to to having MIPS. Even if it only lowers the likely good of a concussion under specific circumstances out a worth the investment.
Old 07-30-18, 08:05 AM
Iain@Hedkayse

Bikes: 2 full sus MTB- one with a motor. one Road (indoor use on rollers) - for when I need to lose weight.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MIPS does what it says it does. But does it work? We'll maybe never know.

There are better options out there now than MIPS, if you compare what MIPS does, though. The Leatt turbines and the Kali LDL both perform better in oblique rotataion impact tests (I used to work for a helmet factory in China that made crazy number of helmets with all those three technologies in them).
Old 08-05-18, 07:35 PM
db9091

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iain@Hedkayse
MIPS does what it says it does. But does it work? We'll maybe never know.

There are better options out there now than MIPS, if you compare what MIPS does, though. The Leatt turbines and the Kali LDL both perform better in oblique rotataion impact tests (I used to work for a helmet factory in China that made crazy number of helmets with all those three technologies in them).
Cool to know about, thanks!
I looked but don't see those technologies being used for road bikes, is that right? My guess is most people are roadies and that MIPS was probably aimed at that since they and motorcyclists donate brains to neurologist the most.

It seems head protection for DH MTB have had better head protection generally. I see MIPS as being a cheap implementation to push into low end consumer helmets.
Does Leatt & Kali cost more? Do they take up more helmet space which keeps them out of road helmets?
Old 08-06-18, 01:46 AM
Iain@Hedkayse

Bikes: 2 full sus MTB- one with a motor. one Road (indoor use on rollers) - for when I need to lose weight.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool to know about, thanks!
I looked but don't see those technologies being used for road bikes, is that right? My guess is most people are roadies and that MIPS was probably aimed at that since they and motorcyclists donate brains to neurologist the most.

It seems head protection for DH MTB have had better head protection generally. I see MIPS as being a cheap implementation to push into low end consumer helmets.
Does Leatt & Kali cost more? Do they take up more helmet space which keeps them out of road helmets?
MIPS is probably the lightest addition to a helmet, so for a roadie, this becomes a specific requirement. Although when you start talking to road racers - they get a size too small helmet and rip everything out apart from the fit system. No pads, no MIPS.

They all cost about the same to add to a helmet, it's just that MIPS has had the largest advertising budget.
Old 08-06-18, 08:36 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Another helmet thread!?!?