Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Subcutaneous groin trauma from heavy winter tights sagging

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-24, 03:51 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts

I'm pretty pro-active in my avoidance of saddle sores but in the cold weather riding period my heavy winter tights seem to contribute to a type of groin abrasion where when the tights sag they pull the skin in the groin region and can set the stage for a saddle sore. I try to reposition the chamois on the fly while riding or when stopped. For the most part this repositioning improves comfort but what was my favorite pair or tights, I have managed to yank on them so much that the stitching is coming out of the edges of the chamois.
Taking a day off the bike, washing the area with soap and water then applying some goat milk lotion to the area seem to be promoting healing though.

Has anyone else experienced this type of subcutaneous skin trauma from a sagging chamois not playing well with their bike saddle?
Old 02-07-24, 04:58 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
II try to reposition the chamois on the fly ​​​

applying some goat milk lotion to the area seem to be promoting healing though.
So might applying leeches, but sometimes a tube of antibiotic ointment is worth the expense.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-07-24, 05:19 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark

So might applying leeches, but sometimes a tube of antibiotic ointment is worth the expense.
HaHa, yeah I'd like to travel with a few leaches to pull out the toxins. I don't require any antibiotic ointment yet since all trauma is below the skin's surface.
Old 02-07-24, 05:52 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark

so my Dr said do not use antibiotic ointment on saddle sores, he however did not mention leeches at all so I guess that is still an option....
Likes For jadmt:
Old 02-07-24, 05:57 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Wool tights? They were notorious for sagging when that was all we had available for winter riding in the '60's and '70's and might well have been one of the reasons Assos came up with the idea of Lycra tights and shorts.

If they're not wool, if you've never worn tights made with heavyweight Lycra, maybe think about getting a pair. Expensive (usually), but no sagging.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-08-24, 06:40 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Wool tights? They were notorious for sagging when that was all we had available for winter riding in the '60's and '70's and might well have been one of the reasons Assos came up with the idea of Lycra tights and shorts.

If they're not wool, if you've never worn tights made with heavyweight Lycra, maybe think about getting a pair. Expensive (usually), but no sagging.
The tights actually fit pretty well they are Sportful Fiandre BTW, just like these: https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/s...-1-240008.html
Old 02-08-24, 06:58 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
The tights actually fit pretty well they are Sportful Fiandre BTW, just like these: https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/s...-1-240008.html
Wow. Those look great. From the description, they might be more carefully designed than a lot of expensive tights. The only other thoughts that occur: maybe the shape of the tight or pad isn't ideal for your anatomy, or maybe they're not quite the right size.

That said, I was always prejudiced against padded tights, preferring to wear my usual padded shorts plus unpadded tights. Two layers for extra warmth where it counts, and a pad that I already knew fit me correctly.
Old 02-08-24, 07:19 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Wow. Those look great. From the description, they might be more carefully designed than a lot of expensive tights. The only other thoughts that occur: maybe the shape of the tight or pad isn't ideal for your anatomy, or maybe they're not quite the right size.

That said, I was always prejudiced against padded tights, preferring to wear my usual padded shorts plus unpadded tights. Two layers for extra warmth where it counts, and a pad that I already knew fit me correctly.
They are well made that’s for sure. They have “Roubaix” fleece. The label says they are made in Croatia. I’ve had them for about 5 years. I like to be warm so at times I ride these when it is a bit too warm. Also, the pad while nicely padded and ventilated is a bit too terry-cloth for me. Here is a look at how I must have busted the stitching on one side of the pad:
Likes For masi61:
Old 02-09-24, 09:33 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts

Or one of many similar products.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-09-24, 11:37 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Have you tried suspenders. Regular clip-on suspenders and tights without bibs work really well. (I actually prefer tights without pads and wear shorts under and simply clip the suspenders to both.) The easy length adjust is the key. There are other pluses as well. Bathroom breaks are a lot easier, especially when you have to hit a toilet bowl that someone you care about has to clean. Porta-Pottie stops on organized rides don't require undressing (and help the line move a lot faster). But the snug chamois fit was why one of America's greats championed suspenders his entire life. (John Allis, guru of Boston area racing in the '70s . One of the first in the modern era to race in Europe.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-09-24, 12:40 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
The best treatment for saddle sores I've found is Assos Skin Repair Gel, and I've tried pretty much everything there is. Amazon has it. It's a post-ride thing. For pre-ride, the best thing I've found is QM4 Antifriction Chamois Cream, not on Amazon. Again, I've tried a lot of them.

Also, I've never had a good fit with padded tights, including the expensive ones, though I've not tried Assos. I get much better results from wearing my usual shorts with tights over. Never had a problem with that. Besides that gives extra protection in the crotch area. The padded tights I've had don't have the usual 8-panel construction of good shorts.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 02-09-24 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-09-24, 01:18 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
HaHa, yeah I'd like to travel with a few leaches to pull out the toxins. I don't require any antibiotic ointment yet since all trauma is below the skin's surface.
Medicinal leeches do have their uses:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.p...action=history
Old 02-09-24, 01:37 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Well I must say this is bit surreal as while I have yet to purchase the Fiandre bib tights , I've worn the Fiandre Pro bib short version for some 5 plus years. The reason why I've hesitated may be from what you are experiencing, the the length would be too short me and as I found out that equates to an ill fir in the crotch, even if pulled up like waders. Instead I wear some thermal Aerotech Tall bib tights that I can wear over any shorts, which are btw Sportful LTD bibs that use that same TC Pro pad. I've tried lots of brands of shorts and pads and the Sportful LTD Pro bib shorts with the TC Pro pad is the only one that totally conforms around the groin area and the strong straps keep in firmly up against the crotch, zero movement. They're meant to fit second skin tight. Not for the faint of heart ! The tight fit in the shorts and tight fitting straps is about the number one complaint I see from buyers of these. They're designed that way however, and for me and those that ride them, it's cycling how shorts ought to fit.

I will say that the Fiandre NoRain fleece fabric used in the bib tights and bib shorts isn't as supple as the regular compression lycra of the LTD. So I spend more time in getting them on so they're positioned just right an don't hesitate to make adjustments on the fly if needed, at least where there's no one around. I have 4 different generations of the Fiandre bib shorts and each one is made slightly different, most notably my first pair that used a white mesh for the upper. Those never fit real well in the crotch. All subsequent versions have the same black upper as the LTD's and fit more like them.

I much prefer the Fiandre bib shorts with Fiandre leg warmers, when not under the Aerotech thermal bib. In fall I bought a Santini Aldo winter bib tight instead of the Fiandre bib tight and it was about 3 inches to short, and yes, it's saggy and ill fitting in the crotch. I could pull them up and all like waders and because my thermal socks were tall I tried riding them but the ill fitting crotch was just unbearable. The bib shorts under bib tights works wonderfully and that's what I'll stick to.

I can't speak to how yours rubbed you the wrong way of course, but I'm also susceptible to discomforts down there and now I apply some Noxzema to the pad prior to wearing to moisten it before riding. That and some Cerave "Moisturizing Cream" to the skin before riding. I realize all that's highly personal but only offer to say I never ride the pad bone dry. If I get any signs of abrasions my go-to is hands down a thin layer of Bag Balm over the area. That stuff never fails.

Your pad I gotta say simply looks like it's worn to the point it should be retired. Maybe it's the camera but the surface looks like it's had a lot of abrasion. Do your tights fit second skin tight and were they long enough ?

Last edited by Garthr; 02-09-24 at 03:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-09-24, 02:59 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Get some bib tights.
Old 02-09-24, 03:11 PM
masi61

Originally Posted by Garthr
Well I must say this is bit surreal as while I have yet to purchase the Fiandre bib tights , I've worn the Fiandre Pro short version for some 5 plus years. The reason why I've hesitated may be from what you are experiencing, the the length would be too short me and as I found out that equates to an ill fir in the crotch, even if pulled up like waders. Instead I wear some thermal Aerotech Tall bib tights that I can wear over any shorts, which are btw Sportful LTD bibs that use that same TC Pro pad. I've tried lots of brands of shorts and pads and the Sportful LTD Pro shorts with the TC Pro pad is the only one that totally conforms around the groin area and the strong straps keep in firmly up against the crotch, zero movement. They're meant to fit second skin tight. Not for the faint of heart ! The tight fit in the shorts and tight fitting straps is about the number one complaint I see from buyers of these. They're designed that way however, and for me and those that ride them, it's cycling how shorts ought to fit.

I will say that the Fiandre NoRain fleece fabric used in the bib tights and shorts isn't as supple as the regular compression lycra of the LTD. So I spend more time in getting them on so they're positioned just right an don't hesitate to make adjustments on the fly if needed, at least where there's no one around. I have 4 different generations of the Fiandre shorts and each one is made slightly different, most notably my first pair that used a white mesh for the upper. Those never fit real well in the crotch. All subsequent versions have the same black upper as the LTD's and fit more like them.

I much prefer the Fiandre shorts with Fiandre leg warmers, when not under the Aerotech thermal bib. In fall I bought a Santini Aldo winter bib tight instead of the Fiandre tight and it was about 3 inches to short, and yes, it's saggy and ill fitting in the crotch. I could pull them up and all like waders and because my thermal socks were tall I tried riding them but the ill fitting crotch was just unbearable. The bib shorts under bib tights works wonderfully and that's what I'll stick to.

I can't speak to how yours rubbed you the wrong way of course, but I'm also susceptible to discomforts down there and now I apply some Noxzema to the pad prior to wearing to moisten it before riding. That and some Cerave "Moisturizing Cream" to the skin before riding. I realize all that's highly personal but only offer to say I never ride the pad bone dry. If I get any signs of abrasions my go-to is hands down a thin layer of Bag Balm over the area. That stuff never fails.

Your pad I gotta say simply looks like it's worn to the point it should be retired. Maybe it's the camera but the surface looks like it's had a lot of abrasion. Do your tights fit second skin tight and were they long enough ?
Yes mine do fit 2nd skin tight and they are liong enough. I also have a slightly different version than the one that is in the Merlin UK link I provided. Lycrya has a waterproofing on the front of it with the Fiandre's that might be partly responsible for me having to pull them up more since they are slightly less flexible. Also, as far as abrasions go I have no abrasions. More of a tearing sensation under the inner thigh skin up by the groin. I took the last 3 days off the bike and the feeling is already subsiding. I am normally a bib knicker fan and since temps here in ohio have been running warm this February (in the 40's and 50's) these are perfect for the bib knickers. I had several hardened nodules 2 seasons ago that lingered on for almost a year. I managed to have no recurrences of these nodules (sebaceous cysts) last year. So really, I am still doing OK in 2024 and have no saddle sores. I wear size 2X in Sportful (bottoms) and they seem to fit snug but not too snug, perfect really. I am 5'11.5" and weight ~ #195 BTW.

Thanks again Garthr I am pretty cheap and I try to keep wearing a good garment even after the seams start to fail. funny thing is I have both Giordana and a French brand (Ekoi) of new bib tights that are new with tags and have been too cheap to bring them out. But apparently I have been too cheap and I will try to update my cool weather riding kit.
Old 02-09-24, 03:42 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Yes mine do fit 2nd skin tight and they are liong enough. I also have a slightly different version than the one that is in the Merlin UK link I provided. Lycrya has a waterproofing on the front of it with the Fiandre's that might be partly responsible for me having to pull them up more since they are slightly less flexible. Also, as far as abrasions go I have no abrasions. More of a tearing sensation under the inner thigh skin up by the groin. I took the last 3 days off the bike and the feeling is already subsiding. I am normally a bib knicker fan and since temps here in ohio have been running warm this February (in the 40's and 50's) these are perfect for the bib knickers. I had several hardened nodules 2 seasons ago that lingered on for almost a year. I managed to have no recurrences of these nodules (sebaceous cysts) last year. So really, I am still doing OK in 2024 and have no saddle sores. I wear size 2X in Sportful (bottoms) and they seem to fit snug but not too snug, perfect really. I am 5'11.5" and weight ~ #195 BTW.

Thanks again Garthr I am pretty cheap and I try to keep wearing a good garment even after the seams start to fail. funny thing is I have both Giordana and a French brand (Ekoi) of new bib tights that are new with tags and have been too cheap to bring them out. But apparently I have been too cheap and I will try to update my cool weather riding kit.

Yeah, masi61, stitching coming undone is one thing but when you get holes in the pad it's time to let them go ! I can relate to wearing some things that should be retired ! After having some stitching coming undone on some of my bibs I purchased some Gear Aid Seam Grip WP(waterproof) adhesive. It's advertised as a flexible seam sealer for tents and such but after contacting the company the recommended I try it on the stitching. Only a very light amount is needed on the outer stitching, let it dry for a couple days. Don't use it inside the shorts as it dries a little rough. On the outside it doesn't matter. That stuff had held though many washes and is as good as the day I applied it.

I can't explain it but I have yet to try a bib tight that fits the crotch as well as some bib shorts and warmers. I know even the tall Aerotech unpadded bib tights I have fit way too loose in the entire trunk area to wear with a built in pad, which they do offer. Maybe with tights they tend to drag/pull down from the bending of the knee, it's something I've always felt though in wearing even long everyday pants.
Old 02-09-24, 05:31 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
I wear padded shorts year round and wear unpadded 'tights' (bike specific and not) over them in colder weather. I am not certain the o.p.'s injury can properly be called a "saddle sore". It is some kind of abrasion, obviously, but it is not a classic "saddle sore". Still, the product called "Chamois Buttr" has long been a go to when the ride length is expected to exceed 20 miles or so. DW uses it for even 10mi rides. I personally don't think the wearing out of the chamois stitching should cause injury (nor did we really need to see that) but, if it has been identified as the cause, the fix should be obvious. I am moving away from pricey mainline brands like Pearl Izumi and Louis Garneau in favor of brands like Baleaf and 4U-Cycling. The cheaper options seem to last just as long as the expensive stuff and is 1/2 or less the price. They may, or may not have bibs and/or tights but consider strongly my strategy of wearing shorts under un-padded over layers.