Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mmmmmm! Tastes like Spandex!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-11, 11:27 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

It's been a doggy weekend riding in Middle Tennessee! Our bike club decided to depart from our usual well-scouted routes. Yesterday, two dozen loose dogs gave chase at various points. Today, we had been chased by about a dozen when one retriever mix got very close to biting. One of our riders applied a deterrent and we all escaped. Then, about 3/4 mile later, we came to a blind curve leading to a steep descent.

We knew it was a treacherous descent, so we strung out single-file. I was last in the line. Just as I started the descent, a massive Chow-Chow jumped down an embankment to my left and within two bounds had his teeth sunk into my left thigh. He was in full attack mode and he seemed pretty committed to removing my left leg. This was a big dog - i measure 4" between his upper canine teeth in my leg. I steered to the left edge of the road while yelling, trying to get him to release, alert the other cyclists, etc. As I'm coming to a stop, I'm beginning to realize that this dog may very well kill me.

Fortunately, my yelling alerted the dog owner in their home atop the ridge - about 20' above me at this point. They came out quickly and called the dog off me. They took me and my bike to the hospital.

Bad scene. Lots of blood. Very bad pain. Left thigh is wrapped in bandages an inch thick. The good news is that the dog has been confined and the owner is taking it for observation. The bad news is that it hasn't had its shots.

I used to love dogs. I'm getting over it. Definitely tending toward species-ist at this point. I know this is about bad dog owners. But I'm not allowed to shoot bad dog owners.

Thanks for tolerating the rant.
Old 12-11-11, 11:32 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
dogs like to chase.
dogs don't understand the human smell, but unhuman like looks of a bike and rider.
there's such a thing as bear pee in a bottle.
Old 12-11-11, 11:34 PM
wkg

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That dog sounds like a dick.

It's too bad you weren't here earlier maybe you could've contributed to my thread titled "Are you safer from uncontrollable dogs on recumbents?" (it got deleted).
Old 12-11-11, 11:39 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by wkg
That dog sounds like a dick.

It's too bad you weren't here earlier maybe you could've contributed to my thread titled "Are you safer from uncontrollable dogs on recumbents?" (it got deleted).
Dog owner is the dick.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 12-11-11, 11:40 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

I sometimes carry bear repellant, but this dog was on me so fast - and on a difficult piece of road - I would never have been able to draw and fire. I was surprised he stayed hidden until he attacked me. The guy in front of me carries a revolver with rat shot in it. He might have had a chance to stop the charge if he had come after him.
Old 12-11-11, 11:42 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by AEO
dogs like to chase.
dogs don't understand the human smell, but unhuman like looks of a bike and rider.
there's such a thing as bear pee in a bottle.
In this area, you don't want to carry anything that might get a bear's attention.
Old 12-11-11, 11:44 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bad luck!

Hope you heal up soon.
Old 12-11-11, 11:50 PM
dshedd

Bikes: 2008 Trek 1.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was bitten in Knoxville about a year ago, and that dog also had no vaccination records. It's not a fun experience. I just hope you didn't spend as much time in the ER as I did waiting to be treated.
Old 12-12-11, 04:48 AM
diverguy
No longer just a beginner

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, that really bites. (no pun intended) Hope you heal quickly and with no complications. Bad dog-owner.
Old 12-12-11, 06:18 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pepper spray

a small can fits nicely in the jersey when you ride a new route
Old 12-12-11, 06:44 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by rangerdavid
pepper spray

a small can fits nicely in the jersey when you ride a new route
Pepper spray only stops friendly dogs. Bear repellant (ultra high strength pepper spray) might have slowed this one but, like I said, I probably would not have had time to grab the bear repellant. He picked his ambush point well and was on me almost before I saw him.
Old 12-12-11, 06:50 AM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've heard chows are aggressive as a breed. I'm no dog expert though. I've heard that about pit bulls too but now I own one and he's pretty sweet. Seems to be especially good with kids.

I've also learned though that I can't leave him outside unattended. It takes him about two seconds to get into something that ends up costing me money, as I imagine the owners of the Chow are about to find out.
Old 12-12-11, 06:56 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
I don't mind dogs.

I hate stupid dog owners that don't train the dogs to stay on their property.

Luckily in our area most folks either train their dogs, chain their dogs, use fences, or invisible fences....or some combo of the above.
Old 12-12-11, 09:25 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
WOw that's horrible. Hope you heal fast and they kill the dog. Yes, really, I mean that.
Old 12-12-11, 09:38 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
That is a horrible thing to happen! Hope you heal fast.

Cue the coulda, woulda, shoulda, pepper spray, insect repellent, small caliber weapon, use your bike as a shield, etc...

Where are the internet lawyers for the inevitable lawsuit?!?

:
Old 12-12-11, 09:56 AM
Fedor
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by diverguy
(no pun intended)
Yes you did.
Old 12-12-11, 10:42 AM
Beau210

Bikes: Orbea Onix TLT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feel your pain man. I went for a long ride yesterday on a new road I had never ridden before with a new riding buddy from work. About ten miles in a 150+ pitbull decides we look tasty and comes sprinting out after us and I'm in back. Didn't get caught but it was pretty close and I almost pissed by bibs. He looked like he meant business. Hope you heal up quick and get some money from those dick owners.
Old 12-12-11, 11:05 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
The good thing about urban riding is the dog's territory is generally much smaller. I get chased once in a while, but they usually break off pretty quickly.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-12-11, 11:07 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Beau210
Feel your pain man. I went for a long ride yesterday on a new road I had never ridden before with a new riding buddy from work. About ten miles in a 150+ pitbull decides we look tasty and comes sprinting out after us and I'm in back. Didn't get caught but it was pretty close and I almost pissed by bibs. He looked like he meant business. Hope you heal up quick and get some money from those dick owners.
Pit bulls average between 40 and 60 pounds. Mine is big at 70 pounds, but he's part boxer. People often mistake other breeds for pits. If the dog really was that big it probably was not a pit bull.
Old 12-12-11, 11:10 AM
ravenmore

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Also, when he is playing he sounds terrifing - like he's in full on demon attack mode, but he barely squeezes down when he play bites. I've only been chased by one pit, a female. When I yelled at her it looked like it hurt her feelings.
Old 12-12-11, 11:20 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
Pit bulls average between 40 and 60 pounds. Mine is big at 70 pounds, but he's part boxer. People often mistake other breeds for pits. If the dog really was that big it probably was not a pit bull.
correct. though very muscular, a pit bull is a medium to medium-large dog.

there are several larger dogs that look a bit similar, such as a presa canario. a mixed breed is one possibility, but another is that you (Beau210) were exaggerating or just plain wrong about the size of the dog. very, very few dogs are truly 150+ pounds.
Old 12-12-11, 11:25 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
correct. though very muscular, a pit bull is a medium to medium-large dog.

there are several larger dogs that look a bit similar, such as a presa canario. a mixed breed is one possibility, but another is that you (Beau210) were exaggerating or just plain wrong about the size of the dog. very, very few dogs are truly 150+ pounds.
This is the 41...our average speeds are ____________!
Old 12-12-11, 11:37 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Hate to hear you got bit like that. It is a shame the owners didn't have the dog restrained in some way, but being a dog owner I can see that this is not always as easy as it sounds. I am certainly on the fence about the comment concerning putting the dog down. I can see where that is a worthwhile deterrent to owners, particularly, it really isn't all the dog's fault that it was simply doing what comes naturally. Perhaps it would be best to consider what the dog has done in it's past and to certainly ear mark it for possible future altercations, marked for destruction in case, etc.
Old 12-12-11, 11:38 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
Also, when he is playing he sounds terrifing - like he's in full on demon attack mode, but he barely squeezes down when he play bites. I've only been chased by one pit, a female. When I yelled at her it looked like it hurt her feelings.
Yeah, just playin'

No, really, he was. He's usually more like this:

Originally Posted by punkncat
It is a shame the owners didn't have the dog restrained in some way, but being a dog owner I can see that this is not always as easy as it sounds.
You ain't kiddin'. The dog above broke out of the back yard a couple weeks ago. We keep him in the house now.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-12-11, 11:42 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

I've been bitten by a pit. Probably 50 pounds. After I thought the dog was kept up, I rode the road again. This time, I got him square in the face with a blast of bear repellant. He backed off about 20 feet, but kept chasing. Frothing at the mouth from the spray. Then 100 feet later, he made another attack run. Took another blast of bear repellant. Slowed and I was able to escape.

Halt and other dog-strength pepper sprays only stop friendly dogs who want to play.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.