Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

1984 Miyata 1000

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

1984 Miyata 1000

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-20, 09:15 PM
Sjtaylor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 20 Posts
1984 Miyata 1000

Tomorrow I’m going to look at another bicycle I don’t need. It’s a Miyata 1000 in my size. I’ve convinced myself that it’s okay to buy an old bike for not too much, doing what it takes to bring it back and it’s sole for the enjoyment of the experience.

Anyway, from what I can tell from the photos the Miyata looks original except for maybe the pedals. The frame looks very nice with no visible rust or undue wear or damage. My plan is to check for a frozen handlebar and seat stem and take it for a quick ride. If the bike checks out and the seller seems honest I’ll probably bring the Miyata home.

I’ve read a lot about the Miyata 1000 and I have the same year Trek 720 so lm looking forward to seeing how they compare. I’ve got big bike touring plans for next year so what the heck. I’ll have two road touring bikes.

This is a CL transaction and I’ve had a CL purchase that seemed really sketchy. This time I was able to speak to the seller on the phone, had a nice conversation and I’m looking forward to meeting him. It will hopefully be an enjoyable road trip. The anticipation is some of the fun.

Thanks.
Old 12-01-20, 12:23 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Hope it works out for you! It'd be interesting to see which you then end up using next year for your tour(s).
Old 12-01-20, 02:14 AM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 105 Posts
I have a 1984 Miyata 1000 and absolutely love it! Bought it about 3 years ago, not knowing much about the cult/quality of Miyata, and I'm so glad I didn't pass it up. I actually love mine so much, I just scooped up a minty 1986 1000 as well as a decent 610.

Even if it's a bit rough, "for not too much" would still be well worth it IMO. Best of luck and please share some photos if you scoop it up.
Old 12-01-20, 02:14 PM
Sjtaylor

I bought the Miyata

Likes For Sjtaylor:
Old 12-01-20, 02:33 PM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Yay, Congrats!!

That'll clean up nicely. Looks mostly original, minus the pedals and saddle. I really wish mine had the original rear rack. Heads up that the SOMA Campy Hoods fit those brake levers perfectly. Here's my '84 1000. Mostly original, minus the Nitto stem, Velo Orange headset and bottom bracket, and Vetta Gel Saddle.

Likes For squarenoise:
Old 12-01-20, 03:10 PM
Sjtaylor

Originally Posted by squarenoise
Yay, Congrats!!

That'll clean up nicely. Looks mostly original, minus the pedals and saddle. I really wish mine had the original rear rack. Heads up that the SOMA Campy Hoods fit those brake levers perfectly. Here's my '84 1000. Mostly original, minus the Nitto stem, Velo Orange headset and bottom bracket, and Vetta Gel Saddle.

Nice looking bike in your photo! I'm thinking about what to do with the cockpit on my Miyata. I may go with single speed ergo brake levers with cables under the tape. I'll need a cozier stem too.

The Miyata got a superficial cleaning by the seller who flipped the bike. It looks to have been really dirty at some point. My chain wear gage was sloppy loose in the chain.

I can't wait to do a bare frame rebuild and clean everything thoroughly. I just spent $100 at the local bike shop for the consumables I'll replace. Not sure what do for tires. I think 35mm wide tires will fit.

FYI I paid $250 for the Miyata and so far $100 for parts. I hope to have a fully restored Miyata 1000 for less than $500 and a whole lot of fun bringing it back.

I love this hobby.
Likes For Sjtaylor:
Old 12-01-20, 03:42 PM
squarenoise 

Originally Posted by Sjtaylor
Nice looking bike in your photo! I'm thinking about what to do with the cockpit on my Miyata. I may go with single speed ergo brake levers with cables under the tape. I'll need a cozier stem too.

The Miyata got a superficial cleaning by the seller who flipped the bike. It looks to have been really dirty at some point. My chain wear gage was sloppy loose in the chain.

I can't wait to do a bare frame rebuild and clean everything thoroughly. I just spent $100 at the local bike shop for the consumables I'll replace. Not sure what do for tires. I think 35mm wide tires will fit.

FYI I paid $250 for the Miyata and so far $100 for parts. I hope to have a fully restored Miyata 1000 for less than $500 and a whole lot of fun bringing it back.

I love this hobby.
Thanks!

$250 is a steal! Even with having to throw some extra funds at it to make it perfect for your needs.

My original stem was too long as well. I got a good deal on the Nitto that's on it now, but if I was buying new, I'd probably go with a Technomic model for the extra hight.

Brake lever wise, I'm actually a fan of the original non aeros, but the Shimano BL-R400 levers would not look out of place on that bike.

Tire wise, 35mm will definitely fit and I think you can go up to 38mm without fenders. I've been a longtime fan of the Rivendell 28mm Panaracer Ruffy Tuffy for all my road bikes, and recently bought the 33.333 Jack Brown Blue which are even better!

Looking forward to seeing this come together and how it compares to your Trek.
Old 12-01-20, 05:48 PM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Nice deal. I have a Miyata 1000, paid 225, about 20 years ago! I have over 75K miles and still my main ride. I have replaced the wheels, wore out at 60K, also replaced the Stag RD, pedals, and the rear rack died but was a very stout commuting rack. It too died but I took it gravel road touring, bike commuting, grocery buying etc. I have no regrets, my main ride. It is now a serious gravel grinder! Enjoy it

Edit: I use Donelly MSO 36's, might get 38's on it but will be tight.
Old 12-01-20, 10:04 PM
Sjtaylor

On the way home from picking up the Miyata I hit a couple of used bike shops and scored these. However, the handle bars seem to match the catalog component list but they only measure 340mm wide center to center. Can that be right? I’m used to 480mm wide bars.

i need to resolve this handlebar issue before I’m done but there is lots to do before I settle on a handle bar. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 12-01-20, 10:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Sjtaylor
On the way home from picking up the Miyata I hit a couple of used bike shops and scored these. However, the handle bars seem to match the catalog component list but they only measure 340mm wide center to center. Can that be right? I’m used to 480mm wide bars.

i need to resolve this handlebar issue before I’m done but there is lots to do before I settle on a handle bar. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Given the frame size, i would have guessed 380mm would be spec'd as original. But either way, handlebars back then were absurdly narrow. Perhaps the pendulum has swung a bit far the other way, but I would take wider instead if narrower every day.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 12-02-20 at 08:59 AM.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-02-20, 08:01 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
re handlebar width. I don't know if it was a Japanese thing, but my 90 or 91 Kuwahara came with narrow bars also. I'm not a big guy and didnt know any better until I got another bike ages later with wider bars.
Strange trend then.
Old 01-16-21, 12:57 AM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts

..I.have owned or do own about every touring bike made except the Trek 720......I am a cult follower of Miyata and thats what I ride .......I want to know your opinion when you get to compare the 1000 to the 720.......I want and have wanted a TREK 720 for a long time so I could check them out side by side.........havent found one in my size for a price thats sane.......but I am interested what you think ...thanks
Old 01-16-21, 06:25 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 720 Posts
I have an 85 1000 and run Conti City Ride 700x38 with SKS Long Board fenders. They are close, but fit and no rubbing. The tire has an actual measurement of 37mm. Was my daily commuter for a number of years. Very capable bike for touring, commuting or just day rides.
Old 01-16-21, 03:11 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
I like the Miyata because it's a bit stiffer and especially in the larger size when fully loaded feels more solid. That said, tough choice.
Old 01-31-21, 11:49 AM
tacreamer
Go Ride

Bikes: Enough +1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 21 Posts

1984 Miyata 1000 with SON dynamo light system

The Miyata 1000 is a great handling bicycle, here is my 1984 model!
Likes For tacreamer:
Old 01-31-21, 10:58 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Nice find at a great price - congrats! I have the charcoal model just like squarenoise. Mine has 27” Weinmann concave rims. Seems by the tire widths mentioned in this thread you all have 700 wheels. Did it come with 700 stock?
I have a Trek 720 frame to build up so I will also be anxious to hear your ride comparison. I haven’t toured on mine because I use my Specialized Expedition but I will say the Miyata has a ride that begs you to stay in the saddle all day. One of my favorite rides for long day trips.
Old 02-01-21, 05:37 PM
squarenoise 

Originally Posted by badger_biker
Nice find at a great price - congrats! I have the charcoal model just like squarenoise. Mine has 27” Weinmann concave rims. Seems by the tire widths mentioned in this thread you all have 700 wheels. Did it come with 700 stock?
I have a Trek 720 frame to build up so I will also be anxious to hear your ride comparison. I haven’t toured on mine because I use my Specialized Expedition but I will say the Miyata has a ride that begs you to stay in the saddle all day. One of my favorite rides for long day trips.
Original wheelset for '84 was definitely 700c. 40 spoke rear, 36 front and silky smooth sealed cartridge Suntour hubs.

Old 02-02-21, 12:25 AM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by squarenoise
Original wheelset for '84 was definitely 700c. 40 spoke rear, 36 front and silky smooth sealed cartridge Suntour hubs.

Thanks for the reply. I have the same hubs so I can only assume the previous owner had the 27” rims laced to his OEM hubs. Perhaps he thought at the time 27” tires would be easier to find on the road.
Old 02-02-21, 11:09 AM
squarenoise 

Originally Posted by badger_biker
Thanks for the reply. I have the same hubs so I can only assume the previous owner had the 27” rims laced to his OEM hubs. Perhaps he thought at the time 27” tires would be easier to find on the road.
Interesting and makes sense. I also have the '84 Miyata 610 which came the same hubs, but 27" ARAYA rims. As long as Panaracer Pasela tires stay in production, I doubt I'll ever covert to 700c.