Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So,,, Out For My Morning Ride And........

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So,,, Out For My Morning Ride And........

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-19, 03:37 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I wonder if this incident could have been caused by one of those cheap Chinese 'sploding inner tubes? I would think having one of those rupture suddenly under 100 lbs of pressure could blow a hole into a tire. Where else is all that pressure gonna go, but straight through the tire? Though running over a nail or sharp piece of metal or glass is probably more likely.
Look at the photos: there's much more damage on the outer surface of the tire, barely a puncture on the inside. In other words, the entrance wound is on the outside. In your scenario, it would be the other way around. Besides, a tube blowout would, at most, cause the tire bead to unseat.

OP likely ran over some road debris in the dark.
Old 02-18-19, 01:38 PM
hingiswins

Bikes: ezip trailz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use common sense--replace the tire-if you do not and have problems you will surely wish you did!
Old 02-18-19, 02:16 PM
CreakyCrank

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any time you cut several cords in a tire you severely weaken the ability of the tire to maintain its integrity and shape, especially at anything close to it's 120 PSI pressure.. At best, this tire would be a blowout waiting to happen, Want that at 35mph in traffic? Booting a tire is a way to get home only. As a professional bicycle mechanic and veteran of 40+ years of national brand ride support and event promotion. Get a new tire. It's way cheaper than a meat.
Old 02-18-19, 05:49 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
It is the age of Yelp.. there's no getting around it for small businesses and manufacturers. The cost of this new age is already built into the MSRP of whatever you purchase.
Old 02-18-19, 06:15 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by MePoocho
Man am I bummed. Yesterday I put brand new set Cont Gator Skins on my bike. The old ones had 5,528 uneventful miles on them, but I could not see the 'wear dimples' and I just did not want to push them any longer. After all the tires are a lot cheaper than 'butt-skin'.

So,,,, during my first ride on the new tires I was about 5.5 miles into my normal 17 mile dawn ride. All of a sudden I heard a hair raising 'crunch' and loud rapid 'PSSSSSSSsssst. I stopped and discovered that I experienced a very fast deflation event with new rear tire. I had a hugely loud discussion with Buda and anyone else listening.

I turned my lights off (I ride in predawn darkness) and started towards home. Which was a challenge in my 'clipless' pedal shoes. Whew, I made it home about the same time it would take me to do the 17 miles.

My question to all of you is: Would you put a new tube in this injured tire and ride like you stole the bike?? Or buy a new one? (The funds would have to come out of my Brewski allowance.)

Thanks for any input...... 'Donations' Excepted'........ (grin)

Between that and your keyboard getting stuck on punctuation marks, you had a rough day.
Old 02-18-19, 07:16 PM
MePoocho
Always Learning

Bikes: Very Upgraded Denali 63.5cm

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Between that and your keyboard getting stuck on punctuation marks, you had a rough day.
Hey Paul Barnard,

Thanks for the "had a rough day". Yes, I did have a rough morning. When I posted my drama my hands were shaking from pushing the bike home. I think the journey made my fingers heavy on the keys. Or maybe it was because my wife was rubbing my shoulders while I was typing. She was trying to console and relax me while I drank a 'tall-boy' and posted. (I just luv her consoling.)

I have since learned two things; either carry a tube and all the assorted paarifinallia to fix a blow-out, or remember to have my cell phone with me to call my 'shoulder-rubbing' wife should I have issues.

Actually, I am pleased to know that the 'Punctuation Police' are alive and diligently on alert.......
Old 02-19-19, 09:10 AM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Defective?

If you think the tire was defective take it back. The shop will probably replace it. If you got it online or ran over glass then I'd replace it and suck it up. Yeah, it's unfortunate it blew when brand new but don't let it make you do something stupid. If you have to boot a tyre then it's not safe is it? It's nice to see dedicated riders riding on the road not lying on the road.