Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Upgrade the commuter bike, or get an additional "road" bike?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 02:25 PM
stevemartin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I currently commute 20 miles round trip each day and ride a Trek 7.3FX, which is a great bike for commuting. Thing is, now that I'm hooked on cycling, I'm really wanting to get in to longer rides, possibly a not-too-competitive race or 2 sometime in the future, etc., and the 7.3 is not really the best for that kind of thing.

My big question (and I'd love some opinions): Do I upgrade to another "commuter" bike that leans more toward a "road" bike (like the Trek Lane or Portland - not that I'm married to Trek, but that's what I know) or do I keep the 7.3 and get an ADDITIONAL actual road bike that I only use for road stuff?

I keep flip flopping on this in my own head. Any thoughts out there?
Old 09-07-11, 02:36 PM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
The 7.3 is another do a lot of things type of bike. It does most things ok. None good.

I would keep the 7.3 and go buy a road bike.

N+1 is always the correct answer!
Old 09-07-11, 02:39 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
when weather allows, i commute on my straight-up road bike, but i use a back-pack, so my road bike is unfettered with racks and fenders and such. the only add-ons it has are a bottle & cage, front & rear blinkies, and a small saddle bag with flat repair kit, otherwise, it's just a straight-up road bike and an absolute joy to ride on my daily 28 miles of commuting. i've got a hybrid that i ride when the weather is not conducive for the road bike. the two-bike tag team approach to commuting is really ideal for me and i would highly recommend it for others. a "fast bike" for when it's nice out and a "safe bike" for when it's dicey.

however, if you need a rack and panniers/trunk bag arrangement for commuting, then you have a tougher decision to make, as most "pure" road bikes don't lend themselves to rack mounting, at least not as easily as a touring or cross bike. in that case, if you get a new pure road bike, you'll likely not be commuting on it.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 09-07-11 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-07-11, 02:41 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jr59
N+1 is always the correct answer!
+1
Old 09-07-11, 02:46 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
look at craigslist for a used road-specific second bike for less than the cost of your planned upgrades.

Old 09-07-11, 02:49 PM
stevemartin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
however, if you need a rack and panniers/trunk bag arrangement for commuting, then you have a tougher decision to make, as most "pure" road bikes don't lend themselves to rack mounting, at least not as easily as a touring or cross bike. in that case, if you get a new pure road bike, you'll likely not be commuting on it.
Yeah, that's kinda where I'm at: I'm a heavy pannier user (Ortlieb Office Bag & Top Rollers) since I personally hate backpacks. So if I get a road bike, it's gonna be nuthin' but the road bike.

I guess an addendum to the question: Are the advantages to a "pure" road bike really that great, or will I be happy with something with road geometry, drop bars, etc. with racks on it? (I'm probably overthinking this
Old 09-07-11, 02:55 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by stevemartin
I guess an addendum to the question: Are the advantages to a "pure" road bike really that great, or will I be happy with something with road geometry, drop bars, etc. with racks on it? (I'm probably overthinking this
i think the advantages of a "pure" road bike become more apparent the more serious one gets about riding competitively. how serious of a racer do you envision yourself trying to be?

if you're just looking for a "fast enough" road bike that you can also attach a rack to to use for commuting use, then i think you could probably be plenty happy with a non-race road bike.
Old 09-07-11, 02:58 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I view the "bike spectrum" as carbon fiber road racing bikes on the one extreme and full-suspension mountain bikes on the other extreme. If you need to ride very fast in a race or group ride, then you really need a lightweight racing bike. If you plan to take your bike through rock gardens and over logs, you really need a FS MTB.

Betwen those extremes, pretty much any bike will work, although if your riding leans toward off-road riding (as does mine), you can get a bike that tends to do better off-road, such as a rigid MTB. In my case, I have a Surly Troll, which is an MTB based rig, but works quite well in most conditions. Your FX is a somewhat more road-oriented bike, and also works well in most conditions.

If you are seriously considering racing or fast group rides, you are operating on the road racing bike end of the spectrum, and really should not compromise with a bike like a Trek Portland.
Old 09-07-11, 03:07 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I'm surprised no one has jumped in here yet to tell you to sell what you have now and just buy a surly lht or cc. You know it's coming sort of like the kilo tt recommendation over in SSFG or Godwin's law on most other boards.

Old 09-07-11, 03:15 PM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I'm surprised no one has jumped in here yet to tell you to sell what you have now and just buy a surly lht or cc. You know it's coming sort of like the kilo tt recommendation over in SSFG or Godwin's law on most other boards.
If you plan on doing something like this, buy the Pacer. It's close to a road bike with all kids of braze ons.
Old 09-07-11, 05:27 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2 bike commuting system consists of a 2008 Motobecane CX2 w/full commuter treatment. Rack, panniers, frame-pump, lights, full coverage fenders, tool-kit, etc. My 'fast' bike is a fg conversion w/a seatpost rack/trunk bag combo. It's got SKS Raceblade fenders, toolkit, lights, frame-pump, etc. as well. Both bikes have drop bars for headwinds. And Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires for flat resistance. 700x28 and 25mm respectively.

The CX bike is used on Mondays to tote a week's worth of clothes and food as I've got access to a fridge and changing area. Works out real well. Each day I take my work clothes and food containers home. I love riding fg and my ride has just enough traffic to keep me on my toes. It's 42 miles rt. It used to be 41.2, but I added a little stretch that avoids some really dicey traffic.

So, yeah get a 2nd bike and rig it the way that suits you best. My other bike is an old Specialized Crossroads Cruz 3x6 that I use for grocery store trips. It hauls a trailer, but not necessarily ***.
Old 09-07-11, 05:37 PM
AaronAnderson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have a Trek FX 7.5 that I used as a commuter bike (25 miles daily) I also took it on some longer 50+ mile rides. I have been through all sorts of bikes since then and I wish I still had it. It's a good bike. If it fits you very well; keep it.
Old 09-07-11, 05:40 PM
AaronAnderson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking of the 7.5.... how does this bike turn? Where is the bottom half of the headset? https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ss/fx/7_5_fx/#
Old 09-07-11, 05:51 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Since you're considering trying "a not-too-competitive race" you should get an entry-level cyclocross bike (the Kona Jake is my standard recommendation). It will be great as a commuter. It will be great as a recreational road bike. It will be good as a cyclocross racing bike. It might even be OK for something like time trials or Cat 4/5 road racing.

Of course, keep the FX because you'll need something to commute on when your CX bike is all stripped down for racing in the fall.
Old 09-07-11, 06:18 PM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about a Surly Pacer?

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/pacer_complete/

It's comfortable enough for a century ride and makes an excellent fast commuter. You can mount fenders on it. No rack eyelets, but I use a Carradice Barley bag and that's been good enough for my needs.
Old 09-07-11, 06:24 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Speaking as a Trek Portland owner...

If you can own only one bike, the Portland is hard to beat. But (and it pains me to say this) if you can own more, then keep your FX and get a regular road bike too.

Ideally though, a Portland and a regular road bike. (I have a Portland, a backup commuter and two road bikes.)
Old 09-07-11, 11:03 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
I upgraded an old steel "sport touring" bike with full 10 speed 6600 ultegra. Light, fast, smooth ride of 531 steel and more relaxed geometry, has all the eyelets.
1987 Trek 400T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
elance.jpg (41.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 09-08-11, 05:44 AM
AaronAnderson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice. Nothing wrong with 531! I'm doing the same thing to an 89 Trek 420. I've always wanted to see a Trek Portland but I don't really visit the shops around town that sell Trek.
Old 09-08-11, 11:11 AM
stevemartin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow - awesome thoughts from everyone. Thanks!

Since I'm not sure how much I'll actually get in to racing, and based on what some of you said, I think I'm leaning more toward something along the lines of a Portland than a separate road bike. I don't want to over think the thing, and shoot - I can STILL buy an additional road bike down the road when I realize that I should have bought one all along
Old 09-08-11, 11:26 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Since you're considering trying "a not-too-competitive race" you should get an entry-level cyclocross bike (the Kona Jake is my standard recommendation). It will be great as a commuter. It will be great as a recreational road bike. It will be good as a cyclocross racing bike. It might even be OK for something like time trials or Cat 4/5 road racing.

Of course, keep the FX because you'll need something to commute on when your CX bike is all stripped down for racing in the fall.
I will second this.
Old 09-08-11, 11:41 AM
JeffSG
Charlotte, NC Commuter

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wahoo with Mammoth wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should get a 'road' specific bike. It will add a new dimension into your cycling with group rides. (I have a road bike, hard tail mtn bike -my commuter- and a bad weather bike -with fenders).

Ride safe,

Jeff
Old 09-12-11, 01:35 PM
stevemartin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K

Stopped by the local bike shop to take a look at the 2012 Kona Jake - LOVE IT. I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the recommendation!!
Old 09-12-11, 01:48 PM
RichardGlover
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep what you have; keep using it for a commuter.

Buy a road bike. Don't spend so much you feel you have to justify it to everybody and their mother.

If you want to ride the road bike to work, plan ahead - ride the 'dedicated commuter' in on Mondays, and stock up on food and clothes for the week (better yet, keep a supply so you don't HAVE to ride it on Monday). When the weather is nice and you don't need to carry anything, you can ride your 'road' bike.
Old 09-12-11, 01:48 PM
Surrealdeal
a.k.a., Point Five Dude

Bikes: 1987 Trek Elance 400 T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for the 1987 Trek 400T!

Originally Posted by dedhed
I upgraded an old steel "sport touring" bike with full 10 speed 6600 ultegra. Light, fast, smooth ride of 531 steel and more relaxed geometry, has all the eyelets.
1987 Trek 400T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG01359.jpg (102.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-18-11, 06:58 PM
stevemartin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally took the Kona Jake plunge. Best. Decision. Ever.