Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hard saddle difficulty urinating

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 07:54 AM
nelson4568

Bikes: trek, masi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been riding on a brooks b17 saddle the past 4 years recently I've been having problems urinating after I ride. Usually at night is the hardest I can barely pass a thin stream. I went to my urologist and recommended me to get rid of the saddle, or get off the bike.

Has any one else had this problem? Would a saddle with a perennial cut out help, the urologist was unsure if it would, any advice I'd appreciate. Thanks
I try to ride 4 days a week anywhere from 25-40 miles a ride for fun/fitness I'm 6"4' @215 trying to get down to 200 I'm not sure if weight has anything to do with it since I've never had the problem before
Old 04-18-13, 07:56 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
4 year? You're putting up with a problem saddle for too long.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 04-18-13, 07:58 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Try experimenting with another saddle. See if that solves your issues.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-18-13, 08:02 AM
danmc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did the urologist put a scope down your urethra to check for blockages? (If he did, it's something you'll never forget, that's for sure.) I've had surgery twice on my urethra for congenital defects that didn't manifest until about 12 years ago when I was 36. I ride just a little bit more than you and don't have any issue currently and use the seat that came with my bike, a Specialized Allez. The seat does have a ridge in the middle. Do you wear a chamois when you ride?

Edit: I went out to look at my seat, it's a Specialized Riva and has a ridge and a cutout. I find it extremely comfortable and often go on long rides with no issue.

Also, I wanted to add, I don't think that hardness would be the issue, because the seat that I have now is actually quite hard but because I seem to be positioned perfectly on it it's very comfortable, whereas the seat that I have on my hybrid which is quite soft is actually uncomfortable on long rides.

Last edited by danmc; 04-18-13 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-18-13, 08:04 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Numbness cured me from Brooks saddles on most of my bikes. No such problems with the Selle SMP line of saddles. Here's a discussion by Steve Hogg: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/...ll-about-smps/
Old 04-18-13, 08:25 AM
furballi

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Does it takes 4 years for a bad saddle to create this problem? If the saddle is comfortable to ride, then it may not be the root cause of your problem. Try riding with a padded short and another well-cushioned saddle. Also reduce the time spent on the bike to see if there is a positive outcome.
Old 04-18-13, 08:27 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I'd like to throw out my praises for the Specialized Romin. I can finally ride in the drops without my junk going numb and ride on the hoods without my sit bones hurting.

edit: What furball said, you should take some time off to see if it helps.
Old 04-18-13, 08:30 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Cutout saddle helped me to continue riding with occasional prostatitis. I need a wider saddle at the back so the Terry Falcon Y works well for me. YMMV. But the basic answer is yes a cutout is a possible solution.
Old 04-18-13, 08:40 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Yes, get a different saddle. A cutout might be just what you need - maybe not. Either way try something different. I suppose it could be a case of bad adjustment, but not when its that extreme. My Brooks is very comfortable, but I can have issues like that if I spend a lot of time in the drops.
Old 04-18-13, 09:58 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Any saddle that even remotely works for me has a cut-out. Try it.
Old 04-18-13, 10:10 AM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you've been happy with the saddle for four years, and only recently you've had this problem, it makes little sense to me to blame the saddle.
Old 04-18-13, 10:17 AM
Ferrous Bueller
absent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Selle Italia uses the word 'Flow' in its cutout saddle names. They're referring to your underplumbing.
The SI Flite Max Gel Flow is one I like.
Old 04-18-13, 10:45 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Cutouts don't necessarily help, it depends a great deal on how your physiology works with a given saddle.

I switched from a Brooks to a Specialized Roubaix Gel, and it's working out fairly well.

I would also get a real fit immediately after changing the saddle. It's entirely possible that it's not just the Brooks, but also your position that is cutting off critical circulation.
Old 04-18-13, 10:50 AM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would assume that your urologist did a digital exam, and maybe sent you for a PSA screening (even though its effectiveness is now in dispute in the medical profession) to rule out BPH or prostate cancer? I would like to assume that it was done.
Old 04-18-13, 10:56 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
If you've been happy with the saddle for four years, and only recently you've had this problem, it makes little sense to me to blame the saddle.
Not necessarily true - things you can tolerate when you're younger don't necessarily work later on, although 4 years isn't a huge amount of time.
Old 04-18-13, 11:01 AM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah, I say try testing out saddles with cut-outs. Cut-out saddles works for me.
Old 04-18-13, 11:42 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mprelaw
I would assume that your urologist did a digital exam, and maybe sent you for a PSA screening (even though its effectiveness is now in dispute in the medical profession) to rule out BPH or prostate cancer? I would like to assume that it was done.
Old 04-18-13, 11:44 AM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
maybe you banged your junk a bit hard going from a climb to seated position. i stood up to do a sprint and sat down really fast once. tip of the saddle, meet junk. ouch. had some pee issues for a few days.
Old 04-18-13, 12:29 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Not necessarily true - things you can tolerate when you're younger don't necessarily work later on, although 4 years isn't a huge amount of time.
Not just a matter of ageing, but also the occurrence of episodic conditions like non-specific prostatitis. You didn't have that condition before, but perhaps have it now. Just an example.
Old 04-18-13, 12:33 PM
Mpov

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nelson4568
Would a saddle with a perennial cut out help, the urologist was unsure if it would, any advice I'd appreciate.
You want to plant flowers in your saddle?
Old 04-18-13, 12:42 PM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Mpov
No, he wants the cut out to last more than one year.
Old 04-18-13, 12:43 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Mpov
I think he meant perineal or as some like to call it when applied to the female anatomy, "t'ain't".
Old 04-18-13, 01:54 PM
nelson4568

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jesus I gotta work on my spelling lol.
The only test was a urinalysis
If the problem persists, i get catheterized next.
His more detailed explanation was that the urethra runs back between the legs and straight up into the prostate then bladder. So the part where the saddle is hitting, compresses the urethra, and impacts the prostate, which can cause complications with urinating like I was having. He's not my normal urologist since ive had kidney stones in the past, he didnt seem to know much about cycling or saddles with the cut-outs.
I was looking into the Specialized toupe or a Selle saddle with cut-out
Again, thank you to everyone on here
Old 04-18-13, 02:37 PM
rearviewbeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks Imperial is what works for me...

Junk would go numb at about 30 miles, scared the piss out of me. Have not had the issue ever since I switched seats. I bought a new bike recently, well new to me, and thought I would try the fancy race style seat that it came with. Only lasted 2 rides and the Brooks went on.
Old 04-18-13, 02:49 PM
nelson4568

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rearviewbeer
Brooks Imperial is what works for me...

Junk would go numb at about 30 miles, scared the piss out of me. Have not had the issue ever since I switched seats. I bought a new bike recently, well new to me, and thought I would try the fancy race style seat that it came with. Only lasted 2 rides and the Brooks went on.
Thanks I didn't even consider the the imperial, I have the b17 on both my bikes one black and one brown aged leather which I really don't want to have to sell because the aged is so nice. But it can't hurt, any more than it does, to try the imperial lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.