Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Converting XCR-6 crankset to 1x

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 09:09 PM
ohfreak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hola!

Diamondback Overdrive Sport with Suntour XCR-6 triple crankset 44/32/22 - looking to replace rings with a single Wolf Tooth 32T. Took out the four bolts which oddly are one piece (no opposing bolt on the backside). They appear to seat into the 22T ring.

With the bolts removed the two larger rings clearly came free, but I'm curious if anyone can tell me if the 22T ring is removeable or if it is somehow permanently attached to the cranks. Can't tell if this is the square taper or Octalink version.

Would love to be able to make this swap and have a clean, single ring with standard 6mm bolts without having to replace the whole crankset.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-17, 07:47 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Picture of the crankset?
Old 03-20-17, 11:17 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
You will need to take the crank arm off to unbolt the 22t chainring from the back of the spider. As you found, you can worm the middle ring over the arms to get it off but the granny won't come off that way. Then put your Wolf Tooth ring in the same position where your middle ring came off (inside face of the spider arms). Check your chainline in that position to be sure; but, generally on triple cranks, inside of the spider gives the best single-ring chainline. You will need shorter chainring bolts unless you are also putting on a bash guard.
Old 03-27-17, 07:04 AM
ohfreak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you!

That's precisely the answer I was hoping to hear. I can verify that there are four additional hex-head bolts on the backside of the granny ring.

I ordered the 32T ring and matching 1x-specific bolts from Wolf Tooth last night and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again!