Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will we see automatic bicycles?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-09, 04:13 AM
daven1986

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi,

Just wondering if, with the progression of electronic gears, we will ever see automatic bicycles which will change gear automatically to keep your cadence in your ideal zone?

Would be quite interesting, but would take a lot of the fun out of cycling. I prefer manual controls, as it is more true to the point of cycling.

Thoughts?

Daven
Old 02-25-09, 04:19 AM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Already available, it's just a matter of time and R&D before this technology bcomes more widespread.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ath/lime/lime/
Old 02-25-09, 04:27 AM
Metzinger
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Expect to see some of these in this year's UCI Mountainbike World Cup.
https://www.landriderbikes.com/
Old 02-25-09, 05:16 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuterRun
Already available, it's just a matter of time and R&D before this technology bcomes more widespread.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ath/lime/lime/
Wait, automatic shifting on a 3speed IGH?
as if only 3 gears to choose from, and on an IGH even weren't simple enough already??
What kind of mentally handicapped people are they marketing too...
Old 02-25-09, 05:30 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
Wait, automatic shifting on a 3speed IGH?
as if only 3 gears to choose from, and on an IGH even weren't simple enough already??
What kind of mentally handicapped people are they marketing too...
Well, car stick shifters aren't exactly rocket science either, but automatic gearboxes have been around since the days when cars only had 3-4 gears... I suppose there's a market.

Wouldn't the NuVinci hub be a good candidate for automatic shifting applications?

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 02-25-09, 05:53 AM
xenologer

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Juha
Wouldn't the NuVinci hub be a good candidate for automatic shifting applications?
Being gearless I'd imagine that sort of thing would be even easier to design a controller for than a traditional drivetrain. You could probably pull it off with an analog PD controller... Since the ratios are a smooth transition instead of steps between sprokets.
Old 02-25-09, 06:05 AM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
LOL at the 3 speed auto bike! That is pretty pathetic. Car shifting isn't rocket science but it does take more skill than changing gear on a bike. I was thinking more for a 24 speed or something, so the system has more gears to choose from so as to make smooth transitions.
Old 02-25-09, 06:42 AM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shimano has an electronic road bike group set that has some automatic ability, as it adjusts front derailer trim, but doesn't actually shift gears. Between Coasting and Di2, a full automatic shifting groupset isn't too far away.

If bike shifting is too hard for you, then stick to spinning class. Every new bike you shift without moving your hands from the handlebar.
Old 02-25-09, 07:27 AM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ye shifting isn't really a problem, but with new technology comes new innovations that no one ever knew they needed! Perhaps some people would like to go out on the road and just spin - knowing that whatever cadence they set will be maintained for them as close as possible - they don't have to look at their computer / whatever, they can just enjoy the scenery. Being out on the road is much more fun than stuck in a gym.
Old 02-25-09, 07:48 AM
xenologer

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by daven1986
Ye shifting isn't really a problem, but with new technology comes new innovations that no one ever knew they needed! Perhaps some people would like to go out on the road and just spin - knowing that whatever cadence they set will be maintained for them as close as possible - they don't have to look at their computer / whatever, they can just enjoy the scenery. Being out on the road is much more fun than stuck in a gym.
If all the rider does is tell the computer his preffered cadence, then keep his legs moving at such a pace. How does he control the speed of the bike?
Sure when hitting a hill, resistance may slow the rider's legs down, in which case the computer changes gears to let the rider speed up again. The computer uses the crank motion as input.
But there's still the calibration factor of how fast he'd like to be moving forward.

The rider will still need to dial in a knob for speed on the computer now that his own legs no longer control speed directly. So its not so simple as ignoring the bike and enjoying the scenery.

I guess you could have the computer also monitor the brake lever, and reduce the speed calibration if it is pulled, as well as gradually increase the setting if the rider is spinning faster than the preset cadence. But this in itself seems like it's introducing complexity...
Old 02-25-09, 08:06 AM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
My problem is that I have nowhere to set my coffee cup down while riding a bike. Someone needs to invent some sort of holder thing for my cup.

jim
Old 02-25-09, 08:22 AM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
If all the rider does is tell the computer his preffered cadence, then keep his legs moving at such a pace. How does he control the speed of the bike?
Sure when hitting a hill, resistance may slow the rider's legs down, in which case the computer changes gears to let the rider speed up again. The computer uses the crank motion as input.
But there's still the calibration factor of how fast he'd like to be moving forward.

The rider will still need to dial in a knob for speed on the computer now that his own legs no longer control speed directly. So its not so simple as ignoring the bike and enjoying the scenery.

I guess you could have the computer also monitor the brake lever, and reduce the speed calibration if it is pulled, as well as gradually increase the setting if the rider is spinning faster than the preset cadence. But this in itself seems like it's introducing complexity...
Ye I was thinking about this too, I.e. you wouldn't want the bike to shift down every time you brake. Yes it will cause more complexity, but electronic shifters are pretty complex too, not to mention unnecessary - but like everything there will be someone who wants it / invents it.
Old 02-25-09, 08:58 AM
norwood
GO BIG RED

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi Veloce 1993 Bridgestone MB-3 1992 Trek 700 1992 Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, Yes! We need auto shifting and some sort of power steering and power assisted braking and of course, the cup holder. And some sort of metal box to protect us from the elements and maybe 2 more wheels to keep it all steady. And, and.......wait a minute.
Old 02-25-09, 09:08 AM
Asymmetriad

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by jgedwa
My problem is that I have nowhere to set my coffee cup down while riding a bike. Someone needs to invent some sort of holder thing for my cup.

jim
Been done plenty of times. Saw pictures in the Utility forum (I think) of bikes with duct tape beer holders on the bars. The principle's the same. Also picked up a crappy Mercier mixte this past summer that had a bottle cage hanging off the bars. That'd hold my travel mug no problem.

Maybe instead someone should invent an automatic intravenous nutrient pump. Never go Bonk again!

Old 02-25-09, 09:16 AM
mgold8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Automatics Bikes! Really?

The day that people are riding Automatic Bicycles would be a pretty sad day in society. I mean seriously! How lazy can people be? I wouldn't see much point to it either. It's not hard to change gears and automatic bike that you would build would probably be much more complicated.

I guess it's like the argument of the stick-shift transmissions vs. automatic transmissions for cars. Automatic transmissions are easier to use, but manuals give you more control, aren't as complicated, are more reliable, and give you better gas mileage. I'm surprised people are always upset that their cars don't get better mileage and talk about getting a hybrid! Get a MANUAL and you'll get better mileage! It's a $1000 less option when you buy a car!

Last edited by mgold8; 02-25-09 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-25-09, 09:26 AM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm not suggesting that they'd be a good idea at all. Just wondering if they would ever make them.
Old 02-25-09, 09:36 AM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
If you are a fortunate mechanic, you'll never see a landrider.
Old 02-25-09, 09:47 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
You mean like the Autobike?

Old 02-25-09, 12:08 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
you mean like this?
https://www.fallbrooktech.com/08_demo.asp

constantly variable planetary drive hub

think IGH + CVT.
Old 02-25-09, 12:15 PM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
that is very cool wonder if you could use a rear derailleur to keep tension and add a front derailleur for more gears?

also I can see how that can very easily be modified to be automatic. While not itself automatic I think it is a pretty decent innovation.
Old 02-25-09, 12:58 PM
werewolf

Bikes: Swift folder, single speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NY Times

Cycling Enters the Electronic Age With a New Gear-Shifting System

By IAN AUSTEN
Published: February 13, 2009

https://us.mc308.mail.yahoo.com/mc/sh...32795%26da%3D0
Old 02-25-09, 03:24 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by frankenmike
If you are a fortunate mechanic, you'll never see a landrider.
List me as unfortunate. There were two of those POSs abandoned at the resort unlocked, and nobody took them. The Marine Corps gave me $10 to use them for target practice.
Old 02-25-09, 03:37 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDan
List me as unfortunate. There were two of those POSs abandoned at the resort unlocked, and nobody took them. The Marine Corps gave me $10 to use them for target practice.
Wow-that's the most useful application I can think of for landriders! (sounds kinda fun, too)
Old 02-25-09, 03:38 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jgedwa

jim
My LBS already sells something for that. It fits best on flat bar bikes but it will take the standard Starbucks coffee cup.
Old 02-25-09, 04:07 PM
JeanCoutu
ǝıd ǝʌol ʎllɐǝɹ I

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of my freinds had an interesting automatic shifter story. His parents had a set of them, and with his brother one day they decided to race down the street for some reason. But they didn<t go very far because at some point the bike suddenly jumped gears, and since they were pushing hard at the time, it cause the both of them to loose foot and crash. lol.

Nuvinci thing looks neat, but with it<s really more suitable for mopeds. Fallbrook made an etek driven electric motorcycle with it, and they found the eff hit made it pretty much a wash with a singlespeed, this is compounded by the way on a bicycle the weight is significant. For what it<s worth I<d rather ride a singlespeed bike with low powered electric assist. Or an electric fixed gear bike could be a lot of fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.