Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

An Open Letter to the Fred Commuter on Mass. Ave.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 08:17 AM
resipsa
The Thing Itself

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear Guy on the Cantilever Brake- and Road Shifter-Equipped Trek,

I see by your shaved legs and somewhat high cadence that you too enjoy riding quickly. I commend you for it. I would note, however, that a love of speed means neither that you are the final arbiter of others' actions nor that you are particularly fast.

Telling me to watch my "etiquette" in beating you off the line after we had stopped for crossing traffic is rather silly, given that I gave you some six feet of room in doing so, and especially given that in the Boston area, there is no bicycling etiquette followed by anybody. Were there actually any rules of the road on point, I would surely have followed them; there were none, however, and I did not. I simply noted that you were accelerating slowly and that there was a lot of room on the right. Moreover, you certainly did not follow any code of conduct when you decided to sprint to catch up with and pace me later - a mere 2 feet to my left - when I had already indicated that I was trying to merge into the lane to my left. Hypocrisy does not sit well with me, nor should it with anyone.

Such hypocrisy was regrettably only further illustrated when you blew past me while I was stopped at a red light one quarter mile up the road. I can find no justification for chiding me for breaking unwritten rules, while flaunting those duly enacted by the General Court of the Commonwealth.

Lack of justification notwithstanding, I do understand why you felt the need to do so. It can't be easy to go through the pains of shaving your legs regularly, and by your breathing rate and perspiration when I first came upon you, it's certain that you were giving it your all. To then have someone like me pass you with ease between signals must be frustrating. If I too had what can only be an inferiority complex, the thought of gaining an "advantage" in the "race" would have been an obvious move, though still one lacking in sense.

I therefore implore you to think about the disconnect between your words and your actions and to work on getting that cadence up. Road cycling, after all, is more an endurance event than a sprint.

Yours Truly,

The Guy on the 14 year-old Cannondale
Old 06-28-10, 08:27 AM
summitseeker

Bikes: Turner RFX, Felt Curbside, 2 homeade Cruiser Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1
Old 06-28-10, 08:38 AM
ChrisO
of Clan Nrubso

Bikes: Cannondale F400, Surly LHT,Motobecane Le Champion Ti, Novara Veloce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obviously you were in the wrong. With shaved legs and a fast spin, this person is clearly way cooler than the rest of us; he couldn't possibly be wrong.
Old 06-28-10, 08:42 AM
resipsa
The Thing Itself

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only partially so. His cadence was significantly higher than your average commuter, but my own is/was (and in this context, I say this shamefacedly) quite a bit higher than his. In my defense, my left knee acts up when I mash too much. =)
Old 06-28-10, 08:44 AM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Open letter from Pot to Kettle:
Old 06-28-10, 08:52 AM
ChrisO
of Clan Nrubso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^that's funny!

my left knee acts up when I mash too much.
I have the same problem, only the right knee.
Old 06-28-10, 08:53 AM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Here's the deal with jumping ahead of people at lights: People do this all the time, and it's aggravating. Cyclists will do this even if they know (or ought to know) that the person in front of them is faster and will have to pass them again. What you should do is this: Stay behind for the time being, and if you really are faster, you'll pass him in due course.

I'll have to defer to your judgment since I wasn't there and I don't know how slowly he was accelerating. But people jockeying for position at red lights, and jumping ahead when it turns green, is annoying.

Maybe there really is no bike etiquette in the Boston area. But that's a shame, don't you think?

Last edited by apricissimus; 06-28-10 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-28-10, 08:55 AM
resipsa
The Thing Itself

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thenomad
Hey! You're Black! =)

But seriously, I just think that telling someone off for breaking fake rules and then breaking real ones to "beat" them is a real jerk move.
Old 06-28-10, 09:00 AM
ChrisO
of Clan Nrubso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep. Or in the very least, explain your fake rules to me so I can chuckle at you.
Old 06-28-10, 09:02 AM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by resipsa
Hey! You're Black! =)

But seriously, I just think that telling someone off for breaking fake rules and then breaking real ones to "beat" them is a real jerk move.
Was this light that he ran also on Mass Ave.? Where was it?
Old 06-28-10, 09:07 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by resipsa
Hypocrisy does not sit well with me, nor should it with anyone.
A few hypocritical comments I've heard recently:

Two women riding side-by-side on a bridge sidewalk told me "the bridge is not for passing." Excuse me, but if you are going to block me, at least try to make sense.

Another rider complained of my lack of proper etiquette for not announcing my presence, but when I mentioned she knew I was there the whole time due to a mirror and frequent glances back, she didn't have a response. A few days later, she passed me on the right side with out a sound (I was in cool down mode), which not only lacks "etiquette," but is really unsafe.

With a little experience, hopefully these riders will learn they don't know it all, and what's more important is getting there safely.
Old 06-28-10, 09:15 AM
resipsa
The Thing Itself

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apricissimus
Was this light that he ran also on Mass Ave.? Where was it?
We stopped (and I passed) at the Linnean Street light (Simon's Coffeehouse), though were it not for the left-turning traffic in front of us, I can only assume he'd have blown it too.

He then blew the following (at least): Shepard/Wendell, Chauncy/Everett, Waterhouse, the next light with the crosswalk, Sidney (the firehouse), and both Memorial Drive lights. I was stopped at some of them, others I saw from behind.

All of this was on Mass. Ave.
Old 06-28-10, 09:39 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
+1, resipsa
  • A jerk is someone who passes else not because he wants to go faster but because he wants to look like he wants to go faster.
  • A jerk is discourteous and never recognizes when another cyclist is being courteous.
  • A jerk doesn't understand that road position should correlate to speed, fast riders go in front.
  • A jerk passes then doesn't maintain his speed.
I encountered a jerk on Saturday on the Minuteman. I'd slowly caught up to a woman making good time on an upright, and stopped behind her for a road crossing. When traffic cleared we crossed carefully single-file to accommodate some children and skaters. As we did so a 20-something dude on another upright bombed by both of us and jumped forward about 20 yards. A hundred yards later when the path was clear of all traffic I took the opportunity to go around her, and with all that extra speed decided to take him too. I really wanted to go a little faster anyway but the thought in my head was: You want to ride that way, buddy? Try to follow me!

He tried. I watched him my mirror. Guys like that stick their elbows out and hunker their heads down when they're pumping hard. After a quarter mile he'd lost about 50 yards. At half a mile he gave up. At the next road crossing he caught up when several of us stopped for traffic. I got the better start at the crossing but the same chase scene played out. Somewhere approaching Bedford he disappeared entirely to the rear.

It was soooo satisfying!
Old 06-28-10, 10:03 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This what gets your panties all bunched up? Sheesh, you need some teenagers in your life!
Old 06-28-10, 11:19 AM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Riding the MUP home a few weeks ago, I looked in my mirror to see a guy I had passed sucking my wheel. I motioned him back with my hand, but a couple minutes later I saw he was still there, so I verbally asked him to backoff and reminded him that it was bad-form to jump on another cyclists wheel without first asking if the other cyclist is OK with it. His response? "It's guys like you that give cycling a bad name". Huh? I just kept pedaling.

I have had other encounters like this with cyclists where their behaviour was rude or unsafe or both. I've learned to just let it roll off and to enjoy the ride.
Old 06-28-10, 11:22 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I totally agree with OP, but a better title might have been "open letter from the preacher to the choir."
Old 06-28-10, 11:26 AM
resipsa
The Thing Itself

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I totally agree with OP, but a better title might have been "open letter from the preacher to the choir."
Hehe. That's certainly part of it, but it's also addressed sincerely to him in the hope that he reads BF.
Old 06-28-10, 11:39 AM
2su

Bikes: Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
people actually say, "watch your bike etiquette" ??
Old 06-28-10, 11:44 AM
resipsa
The Thing Itself

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2su
I believe the exact quote was "watch your etiquette, buddy." At the next light he blew through, I yelled out to him "watch the rules of the road, buddy."
Old 06-28-10, 11:46 AM
2su

Bikes: Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ha ha! i live a sheltered and/or oblivious life.
Old 06-28-10, 11:53 AM
thdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only beef I see here is that he blocked your way when you wanted to go left. It could be that your signal was not clear or he didn't see it, both of which are understandable.

I don't heed comments like that from others, mostly because I can't hear well when I ride, but also because it's not an insult. Unless I get insulted, I mind my business and stay friendly.
Old 06-28-10, 12:03 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by 2su
Yeah, there are "etiquette rules." These are above and beyond common sense safe riding. More along the lines of not bothering/annoying your fellow rider. Some people seem to take them rather seriously and get all worked up if you breach, but most don't get too worked up. Anyone who gets really bothered by"etiquette" probably has other issues in their life/personality.
Old 06-28-10, 12:14 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by 2su
Originally Posted by alan s
Yeah, there are "etiquette rules."
I think 2su wasn't questioning whether there were rules, but rather, whether anyone actually talks like that! (I would assume some 's apply too.

Originally Posted by alan s
Anyone who gets really bothered by"etiquette" probably has other issues in their life/personality.
Well, to the extent that we can all be tarred with the same brush by those who find cyclist a bother, we all stand to lose when one of our community acts boorishly. And one can feel for the parents of children on a MUP when a cyclist seems threatening, whether the threat is real or not. The point being that it isn't about etiquette. It is about courtesy and common safety.

In the OP's case, he was accosted directly by the perp. I'd say that sort of challenge warranted a reply, or that a visceral response was certainly understandable.
Old 06-28-10, 12:28 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not worth getting bent over. Next time confront the guy rather than hoping he will read a thread. You will feel much better afterwards.
Old 06-28-10, 12:52 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Though I don't think I've ever been intentionally rude to a cyclist or a pedestrian, I've done things that I consider in retrospect to have been poor judgment. Typically it's because I was in a hurry or just not paying enough attention.

I wonder if mister hairless legs has any remorse over his actions or if he has just written his own open letter on another forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.