Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bus driver road rage on my commute.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-14, 11:43 PM
Isaiahc72

Bikes: 2015 Kona Rove AL, 2016 Giant Escape 2, 1995 Giant attraction SS,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Is this ridiculous or what? It was recorded on my commute this afternoon. Note: I was in the left lane because I was planning on making a left turn as seen in the video.
Old 11-14-14, 12:06 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My daily battle here in South Korea. Though here they will pass, pull in and stop or even worse ignore that you exist and literally push you off the road.
Old 11-14-14, 12:40 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i get honked at on occasion... more often if i'm out in the right hand lane and can't keep up with the traffic. i just figure i've over estimated my abilitites to keep up.
Old 11-14-14, 12:48 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Given the sparsity of traffic, I would have simply avoided that situation by staying in the right lane, then signal a left and change lanes when close to the stop.
Old 11-14-14, 12:55 AM
Furcifer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im not saying youre in the wrong here. I dont know what your streets are typically like traffic wise, or how assertive you yourself need to be with your traffic in order to keep yourself safe. I do want to say however, that it seems to me you were in that left lane much longer than you needed to be in order to make that turn, in this given instance. I can understand wanting to get into that left lane while you can, so that you dont get cut off from it and all, and maybe traffic is usually as such that you need to get in that far back, it just didnt seem the case, in this instance.
That said, what the heck was that driver thinking? Honking non-stop surely isnt going to help them go around you. Im betting they were so close, that you wouldnt be able to see around, and safely take the right lane either! I hate drivers like that, the kind that will tell me that I, "Need to be on the sidewalk where I belong!"

Glad you made it out safe.
Old 11-14-14, 07:54 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I would call the bus company, ask for a manager, and ask if they would like to see your video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-14, 08:18 AM
spoiledrotten

Bikes: 2015 Scott Speedster XL Frame, 2014 Diamondback hybrid, and a 20" Schwinn Unicycle (does that count?)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
Given the sparsity of traffic, I would have simply avoided that situation by staying in the right lane, then signal a left and change lanes when close to the stop.
This....

I'll also say that it seems that you were in the left lane much longer than needed. I don't want vehicles to run all over me, but then I'm not going to be "strong" enough to get in their way any longer than I have to. That's no different than another vehicle getting in the left lane and riding at a snail's pace for a couple of miles to make a left turn, especially when there's not much traffic.

Last edited by spoiledrotten; 11-14-14 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-14-14, 08:22 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Nothing to see here...
Old 11-14-14, 09:09 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Another vote for being in the left lane too long. You went about 1,000 feet in the 30 seconds of video leading up to the stop sign, which is over 20 MPH. Pretty good clip, but still, why the need to be in the left lane for nearly 1/4 mile before the intersection?
Old 11-14-14, 09:41 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts

Road rage?

Someone needs to cycle a little more. It appears that the OP is looking for conflict! Our coffee breaks are more aggressive than that video.

Ironically, both videos from America.
Old 11-14-14, 09:42 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
i agree with this statement and @Furcifer following statement.

i do have to say that i reported an activity bus when they passed me in the face of oncoming traffic on a 2 lane road. They ran me off the road. No one has responded yet. (which reminds me to follow up)
Old 11-14-14, 10:03 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I too would've been in the right lane pretty much up until I need to make the left. I would have looked over the left shoulder early enough to determine if I needed get over soon or if there was still time.

But the bus driver didn't need to honk. He didn't really catch up to the biker until pretty close to the stop sign. He should have been able to assume the biker is turning left, since the right lane becomes a turn only.
Old 11-14-14, 10:12 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
live and learn
Old 11-14-14, 10:46 AM
Isaiahc72

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay so I'm seeing a lot of people saying that I was in the left lane longer than I needed to be. But to clarify, I had just switched into the lane before the initial start of the video and it WAS because there was a long train of traffic coming from behind that would otherwise prevent me from moving into the lane any later. The driver has been reported to the supervisor along with the video.
Old 11-14-14, 11:01 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Isaiahc72
Okay so I'm seeing a lot of people saying that I was in the left lane longer than I needed to be. But to clarify, I had just switched into the lane before the initial start of the video and it WAS because there was a long train of traffic coming from behind that would otherwise prevent me from moving into the lane any later. The driver has been reported to the supervisor along with the video.
No offence meant - but you took the time to record and report that?! Maybe I've grown up in a different culture, but I'd be embarrased to complain about that bus driver.

He gave you enough room when passing, didn't even seem to tailgate you. All he did was honk for you to let him (heavier, faster, carrying 10 times more people - vehicle) let him pass. You are the one being rude in this situation in my book. I could be wrong. No offence meant - just the way I see it.

I would have let the bus pas, then as the stop sign approached, merged behind the leading vehicle (bus in this case), if there was a long cue of vehicles.
Old 11-14-14, 11:26 AM
Route 66

Bikes: Spot ACME with Shimano Alfine 11 & Gates Carbon Drive

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 24 Posts
I don't mean to pile on, but because you're asking for opinions, I think you were in the left lane much longer than you had to be. Perhaps if you had been driving that school bus, you would see things differently.
Old 11-14-14, 12:08 PM
Isaiahc72

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Slaninar
No offence meant - but you took the time to record and report that?! Maybe I've grown up in a different culture, but I'd be embarrased to complain about that bus driver.

He gave you enough room when passing, didn't even seem to tailgate you. All he did was honk for you to let him (heavier, faster, carrying 10 times more people - vehicle) let him pass. You are the one being rude in this situation in my book. I could be wrong. No offence meant - just the way I see it.

I would have let the bus pas, then as the stop sign approached, merged behind the leading vehicle (bus in this case), if there was a long cue of vehicles.
He/she did indeed give me enough room when passing and I appreciated that. But his/her selfish attitude was very disturbing to me. I want people to understand that bicycles DO have rights on the road just like any other vehicle.
Old 11-14-14, 12:14 PM
Isaiahc72

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Another vote for being in the left lane too long. You went about 1,000 feet in the 30 seconds of video leading up to the stop sign, which is over 20 MPH. Pretty good clip, but still, why the need to be in the left lane for nearly 1/4 mile before the intersection?
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
i agree with this statement and @Furcifer following statement.

i do have to say that i reported an activity bus when they passed me in the face of oncoming traffic on a 2 lane road. They ran me off the road. No one has responded yet. (which reminds me to follow up)
Originally Posted by mgw4jc
I too would've been in the right lane pretty much up until I need to make the left. I would have looked over the left shoulder early enough to determine if I needed get over soon or if there was still time.

But the bus driver didn't need to honk. He didn't really catch up to the biker until pretty close to the stop sign. He should have been able to assume the biker is turning left, since the right lane becomes a turn only.
Originally Posted by Slaninar

Originally Posted by Route 66
I don't mean to pile on, but because you're asking for opinions, I think you were in the left lane much longer than you had to be. Perhaps if you had been driving that school bus, you would see things differently.
If I was that far back in the left lane, couldn't the bus driver have passed me in the other lane? You probably can't see it in the video but the bus driver was initially in the right lane before merging into the left lane behind me.
Old 11-14-14, 12:21 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please add me to the pile. Dude, you are so far off base on this one.... i'm just shaking my head.
Old 11-14-14, 12:22 PM
Isaiahc72

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by modernjess
Please add me to the pile. Dude, you are so far off base on this one.... i'm just shaking my head.
Whaddya mean by "off base"?
Old 11-14-14, 12:37 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looks to me like you were in the left lane far longer than you needed to be. There just wasn't that much traffic -- only one car passed you after the bus, and nobody came up on your right. I would have waited to move to the left lane until after the bus and car passed. Both of those vehicles seemed to give you plenty of room when they did pass.

I try to make a point not to be a PITA to drivers unnecessarily.

In my opinion, you have no complaint. The bus driver, on the other hand, does.
Old 11-14-14, 12:40 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Nice to see you are enjoying your Go Pro! I don't see where your travels were particularly troublesome in this video. But you seem to have a nice pace and some decent scenery. A half hour of such cycling might make a decent training video this winter.

Some cyclists never really find riding on roads to be enjoyable. Traffic isn't for everyone. I find it helpful to just accept that life is temporary and to enjoy the experience instead of worrying. I wish you the best.
Old 11-14-14, 12:48 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I don't think you needed to be in the left lane at all. You were coming up to a stop sign, at which point you could move over a bit to turn left. Let the faster motorized vehicles pass you. Just another camera-wearing commuter looking for a confrontation, IMHO.
Old 11-14-14, 12:58 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Okay so I'm seeing a lot of people saying that I was in the left lane longer than I needed to be.
A lot of people suffering from acute ignorance of the law and/or "car head". I would call the school district/bus company, file a complaint, and follow up if there is no response. This kind of honking harassment should never be tolerated.

Last edited by spare_wheel; 11-14-14 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-14-14, 01:00 PM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
If I was that far back in the left lane, couldn't the bus driver have passed me in the other lane?
Perhaps the bus driver was observing some basic rules of the road?

Attached Images
File Type: gif
r4-3.gif (18.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: png

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.