Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you ride with a Road ID?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you ride with a Road ID?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-17, 10:06 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always carry my previous drivers license in my bike bag.
Old 07-21-17, 10:11 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by cderalow
side note for those of you putting them on shoes or in pockets...

during a serious accident, your shoes, pockets and sometimes clothes can be parted from your person which makes them useless. bracelets and necklaces are less likely to have that happen.

also, as a former EMT, initial training had us taking pulse via two methods (wrist or neck) which puts us purposefully touching one of both of those locations, which makes us more prone to finding important information there.
Great info! Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-21-17, 12:19 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledogg
I have been road riding for well over 25 years and never carried any form of ID for emergency or any other purpose. I am now considering getting the Road ID bracelet. Just curious if other riders carry ID and what form.
Cheers
I use Road ID. I usually bring it when I'm cycling or hiking. IMO it's a good thing to have, especially if you are older and have any medical conditions.
Old 07-21-17, 01:12 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
i just ordered my roadid wrist band, since my stroke 2 years ago i'm worried about what could happen, i was taken to an emergency unit that wasn't part of my normal hospital and i was shaken and couldn't remember all my meds, with roadid i won't have that problem again if needed. 30$ is worth some piece of mind.
Old 07-21-17, 01:55 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I used to keep everything (license, work ID, insurance card, credit card x2 and some cash) in a arm band wallet. I wore it just above my left bicep, slipped under my sleeve. Unfortunately after awhile the it started to fade and the ID window tore a bit. I've been looking for a new one but for the time being I've just been carrying it in a old tri-fold wallet I had laying around that's small enough to fit into my jersey pocket.
Old 07-21-17, 03:33 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Road ID on wrist and dog tag around the neck; both with my name and family contact info. Insurance card in pocket.
Old 07-21-17, 04:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Mine has my wife's and my dad's phone numbers, as well as "bee sting ANA." So if an EMT finds me turned blue with an empty epi-pen in one hand, they'll have an idea what's happened.
Old 07-21-17, 04:06 PM
Colin G

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No and I carry nothing at all.

If I died in the ditch they would have a hell of a time figuring out who I was.
Old 07-21-17, 04:28 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by cderalow
side note for those of you putting them on shoes or in pockets...

during a serious accident, your shoes, pockets and sometimes clothes can be parted from your person which makes them useless. bracelets and necklaces are less likely to have that happen.

also, as a former EMT, initial training had us taking pulse via two methods (wrist or neck) which puts us purposefully touching one of both of those locations, which makes us more prone to finding important information there.
I can vouch for this. I was fortunate that my accident up in the U.P. last fall occurred with my wife nearby and it wasn't cycling related, but the only clothing that survived contact with park rangers, ambulance EMT's and E.R. admittance in Laurium, MI was my shoes. hence I wear my ID and critical info on dog tags around my neck. It was good enough for the army...
Old 07-21-17, 05:04 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I ride with a plastic bag in my rear pocket, which contains an expired DL, a credit card, some random cash, my phone, and a piece of paper. The piece of paper has emergency contact info, my hospital/insurance info, and a statement that I have no known allergies, all written with a Pilot G-2 .07 ink pen.

The dog tag thing is a good idea, though.
Old 07-21-17, 05:11 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Sorry, but this just seems odd to me. Really? After someone's in an accident, the first place EMTs look for ID is something wearable? Not a wallet or a purse or pockets? I don't want to speak about your ill family member, but why would someone keep their ID etc. scattered in the bottom of a tote bag?
The first concern of a first responder is the patient, stabilize and get them to an MTF not look around for ID, proof of insurance or wallets.
Old 07-21-17, 09:26 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
This could be my first tatoo with contact, blood type, and allergies.
Old 07-21-17, 09:49 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I carry three cards, my driver's license, my health id card and bank card.
Old 07-22-17, 09:26 AM
wachuko

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not take anything but the phone with me... that is it... these bands look cool and serve a good purpose. I ordered one for me and one for my son.
Old 07-22-17, 12:35 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I crushed my phone in the last bad crash.

Luckily, I had written I.C.E. and a phone number on a sticker on the back of the phone.

Unfortunately, the ambulance dude had no idea what I.C.E. stood for.

"Immigration and Customs Enforcement?"

"Um, no."
Old 07-22-17, 06:38 PM
MC13

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For what it's worth, I just asked an EMT buddy and he said everything starts with the patient. First order of business is stabilizing the body, determining identification come sometime later if the patient is unconscious. For identification of runners, cyclists, hikers, etc., he always looks on the body first for medical alert and Road ID bracelets because they're very accessible and can speed things up when time is of the essence. Road IDs are common enough now that they expect to see them. He said wallets, phones, etc. have a way of getting thrown from back pockets in crashes. Bikes can also land far from the rider. Last place they'll look is the bike. In serious cases most would be in the ambulance pretty quickly regardless of whether you're ID'd or not, but having blood type, medical condition, PCP and ICE contact info, and allergy information readily available can save precious minutes.

To me it makes sense. If you're going to spend $$$ on all the bike gear, paying the annual renewal is a no-brainer if it has any chance of helping in a crisis.

Last edited by MC13; 07-22-17 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-22-17, 07:02 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Wear the original velcro band 24/7, since 2012. I have the server stored medical data information plate type as I have Parkinson's and several pieces of titanium in my lumbar spine, as well as some drug interaction issues which are truly unpleasant. The PIN number and serial number are laser engraved on the reverse of the plate, their toll free phone number is on front. My wife wears the rubber wrist band type, Elite model. The annual subscription is minimal at most.

My neurologist is a proponent of them, he and his wife wear them. When I had my initial appointment with him he saw mine and questioned me about how to get one. I wrote out their web address for him as he scheduled a brain MRI, which was completely empty space only. EMT, ER and other first responders in our area are instructed to watch for them, if circumstances allow.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 07-22-17, 10:19 PM
Bsgs87

Bikes: Jamis Zenith Comp, 2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2008 Limited Edition Torelli

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always wear my RoadID, which has all the necessary emergency information.
Old 07-22-17, 10:28 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes
Old 07-22-17, 10:36 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Yes, the dog tag style around my neck.
Old 07-23-17, 11:33 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by redfooj
no, i think its completely superfluous, and miffed and how some users claim its the most ingenious and essential thing ever invented.

i ride with a standard driving license for identification
Think it was in 2010 I began wearing my Velcro RoadID wrist band when I began walking at night preparing for marathons and less. Wear it when I leave the house....period.

April-2011 at the 72 mile mark of 100 mile ride I crashed. Trip to local ER courtesy of a 911 dispatched ambulance then a transfer to 2nd hospital with neurosurgeon on call. When in ER of first hospital an attending nurse accessed the information available via my RoadID and was very pleased that she did not have to rely on my slightly dazed mental state for my medical history AND I WAS HAPPY I DID NOT HAVE TO TRY TO REMEMBER ALL THAT STUFF!!!

RoadID sent a new band FREE OF CHARGE OVERNIGHT after I lost the Velcro wrist strap ID while swimming in the Gulf of Mexico. 2 weeks later I received a phone call from a woman who found my lost RoadID while walking the beach located 1 mile from where it came off.
Old 07-23-17, 05:06 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
I wear a bracelet RoadID. I wear it all of the time so I don't have to remember to put it on. I wear a black Elite that is inconspicuous whether I am wearing a t shirt and shorts or a suit and tie. I have the interactive which for $10 per year gives me peace of mind that responders can access all of my insurance and medical history information.

When riding, I also carry my drivers license since in my state I am classified as a vehicle, and I am required by law to have it with me.

That's how I roll...
Old 07-23-17, 05:10 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I printed all relevant data on a piece of paper about 8 x 5 cm, had it laminated and punched a hole in it. Shoelace trough the hole, wear it around my neck.
Old 07-23-17, 05:10 PM
BluFalconActual

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I always carry my military ID. I also have my emergency contact info and medical information stored on my iPhone. I don't know if any EMTs here have any experience with accessing that information or not, but it only took me a second to input the data.
Old 07-23-17, 05:12 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
You people that never carry your wallet blow my mind. How much money are you lugging around, anyway? A pounds worth??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.