Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How long should CamelBack Podium bottles last?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-13, 05:59 PM
cvall91

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a pair back when I first started cycling over a year ago. They have aabout 7k miles on them and I think it's time to replace them. They started leaking probably a month ago, and it got worse. I have to close them extremely tight, and even then, I sometimes look down at my bike and notice the BB area is full of water. And today I just noticed they had a pretty bad stench in them. I know these aren't expensive and don't mind replacing them, but I was just curious how long they should last? Is a year a reasonable amount of time? Or are they suppose to last longer than that.
Old 05-29-13, 06:04 PM
nastystang

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 2015 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably about due. I have about a year and a half and going strong but too many variables to say for sure as each person treats them different.
Old 05-29-13, 06:05 PM
DerHoggz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How are you putting miles on bidons?
Old 05-29-13, 06:06 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would think they would last until they get run under a car (or bus) or cracked when they fall out of your cage.
Old 05-29-13, 06:13 PM
cvall91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well they've traveled those miles with me so I guess it's part of the miles. I've dropped these multiple times, especially when I first started riding and had a hard time putting my bottles back in it's cage during group rides. Even dropped one towards the front and made multiple cyclist run it over and almost fall (whoops). I will say that I've taken less care of them as I used to. I would usually rinse them well with dishwasher soap after every ride. But I switched from filling them with gatorade to plain water and assumed they didn't need much cleaning since it was only water.
aramis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually manage to lose mine somehow before they can get to the point of needing replacement.

If they're leaking, I'd get new ones.
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Just call Camelback. They send spare parts for free.
Old 05-29-13, 06:15 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I've had mine over a year, no problems yet. I assume it should last for several more years.

If you take care of it, it shouldn't smell. You should be washing it regularly (e.g. in a dishwasher) and occasionally blasting it with bleach (e.g. denture tablets).

I recommend you get better bottle cages... or get a hydration pack. Dropping bottles repeatedly during group rides is dangerous for your fellow riders.
Old 05-29-13, 06:48 PM
cvall91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
I've had mine over a year, no problems yet. I assume it should last for several more years.

If you take care of it, it shouldn't smell. You should be washing it regularly (e.g. in a dishwasher) and occasionally blasting it with bleach (e.g. denture tablets).

I recommend you get better bottle cages... or get a hydration pack. Dropping bottles repeatedly during group rides is dangerous for your fellow riders.
I don't drop them anymore. I only used to do it when I first started riding. And this was with my first road bike, so I was really not used too the twitchy handling compared to my old vintage bike I was using. I think I just need to keep washing them like I used too before I got careless with them. Nevertheless, I threw one out and kept one just in case I ride tomorrow. Have been planning on buying new ones on Friday anyways.
Old 05-29-13, 06:56 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I run mine through the dishwasher once a week. Still works fine after a couple of years. But if it ever started to become malodorous, I'd replace it immediately.
Old 05-29-13, 08:05 PM
DerHoggz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also if you keep some bottles to only water ever there is not a odor problem, just wash the others. When mine start getting scratched/dirty I get new ones, just for aesthetics though. They aren't terribly expensive.
Old 05-30-13, 07:30 AM
cvall91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DerHoggz
Also if you keep some bottles to only water ever there is not a odor problem, just wash the others. When mine start getting scratched/dirty I get new ones, just for aesthetics though. They aren't terribly expensive.
I only fill mines up with water which is why I don't bother washing them with soap anymore. I guess they wouldn't dry properly and after a while, they got that humid rotten bad smell when wet things don't dry properly. Don't really know how to explain it.
Old 05-30-13, 11:43 AM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I empty my Podium Chill bottles as soon as I get back from a ride and let them air dry (top facing down, lid off) in the rack next to the sink. Never had an odor issue. I have one that's going on 2 1/2 years old and still works fine. You do need to tighten the lid pretty good to prevent leaks but my brand new one seems to do the same thing. BTW, I love the Chill model and couldn't go back to drinking warm water.
Old 05-30-13, 11:57 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Using the regular Podium bottles for about 6 months now, no leaks or other problems with them. I wash mine after each use, in the dish washer, even though I am using water only in them. Its easy to place them in the washer and let them go, I keep extra to rotate them or to have two for longer rides. No odors or any other creatures growing in them for me.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-30-13, 12:53 PM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They sent me two new lids...

https://www.camelbak.com/en/Sports-Re...y/Bottles.aspx
Old 05-30-13, 08:19 PM
cvall91

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I empty my Podium Chill bottles as soon as I get back from a ride and let them air dry (top facing down, lid off) in the rack next to the sink. Never had an odor issue. I have one that's going on 2 1/2 years old and still works fine. You do need to tighten the lid pretty good to prevent leaks but my brand new one seems to do the same thing. BTW, I love the Chill model and couldn't go back to drinking warm water.
Yea I use the chill and they've been fantastic. That's why I'm buying another one without a second though. Going from 25 oz to 21 though. Cheapest way to save some weight. And I really like the valve they use. Haven't tried any other but I'm a huge fan of them.
Old 05-30-13, 08:24 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first set lasted about a year but they developed some moldy inner parts that I couldn't clean no matter how detailed i got. My new ones have lasted over a year now and are much better because I make sure to empty them after each ride and dry them.
Old 05-30-13, 09:07 PM
Lean back
Big N Slow

Bikes: 2013 CAAD 10 105, 2007 Burley Koosah Recumbent, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get a couple years out of them normally but I only put water in them. I also store the empty bottles in the bottom drawer of the refrigerator to prevent mold or mildew from forming. A tip I had seen in a running magazine. Works for hydration packs too.