Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Customs charge for new wheels from the UK?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-12, 11:18 AM
ilovecycling

Bikes: LOOK 595 & Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just picked up my Shamal Ultra clinchers from the Post Office, and to my surprise they charged me $60 for the customs clearance. The wheels were purchased from Shiny Bikes in the UK. What's strange is that I did not get charged anything for the Record group I bought from them a few months ago.

Could it be due to the larger box the wheels were shipped in? Is it possible that someone goofed up? I went ahead and payed the $60 because I got the wheels for a great price and I wasn't about to leave them at the Post Office. It's just annoying when you have to pay money unexpectedly.
Old 03-21-12, 04:04 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Nope it totally has to do with what you purchased. Bicycle components are not taxed. Bicycle wheels or complete bike are (or should be) as are "bicycle accessories".

I got whacked once when Total Cycling put "Bicycle Accessories" on a shipment where I ordered 2 Campy group sets. It shouldn't have been taxed but I had to shell out like $200 to get the stuff.
Old 03-21-12, 04:17 PM
helicoptor
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ilovecycling
I just picked up my Shamal Ultra clinchers from the Post Office, and to my surprise they charged me $60 for the customs clearance. The wheels were purchased from Shiny Bikes in the UK. What's strange is that I did not get charged anything for the Record group I bought from them a few months ago.

Could it be due to the larger box the wheels were shipped in? Is it possible that someone goofed up? I went ahead and payed the $60 because I got the wheels for a great price and I wasn't about to leave them at the Post Office. It's just annoying when you have to pay money unexpectedly.
i thinking of getting those, can you see if they say where they are made? i heard of people saying theres a sticker saying made in taiwan
Old 03-21-12, 06:25 PM
vettracer

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

According to the HTS codes, assembled wheels fall under Bicycle Parts and Accessories, Other and have a 10% duty. If you got charged more than 10% there is a process with the USPS to get the amount corrected.
Old 03-21-12, 06:54 PM
ilovecycling

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Nope it totally has to do with what you purchased. Bicycle components are not taxed. Bicycle wheels or complete bike are (or should be) as are "bicycle accessories".

I got whacked once when Total Cycling put "Bicycle Accessories" on a shipment where I ordered 2 Campy group sets. It shouldn't have been taxed but I had to shell out like $200 to get the stuff.
$200 for 2 group sets? Yikes. What's strange though is I bought some Dura Ace c24 clinchers from Chain Reaction last year and there was no import duty. As for the 10% duty, I paid $900 USD shipped for the wheels so the $60 I paid is less than 10%. Strange...

Originally Posted by helicoptor
i thinking of getting those, can you see if they say where they are made? i heard of people saying theres a sticker saying made in taiwan
The sticker on the outside of the box says Made in Italy. The inspection cards that came with the wheels say "This wheel has been designed in Italy and it has been assembled manually."
Old 03-21-12, 06:56 PM
ilovecycling

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also, they tried delivering to my door yesterday, but I was at work so they left a notice saying I could pick it up at the Post Office today after 9 am. What would they have done if I was home yesterday? Charge me $60 on the spot or something?
Old 03-21-12, 08:30 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Also, they tried delivering to my door yesterday, but I was at work so they left a notice saying I could pick it up at the Post Office today after 9 am. What would they have done if I was home yesterday? Charge me $60 on the spot or something?
Yes.
Old 03-21-12, 09:08 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
As for the 10% duty, I paid $900 USD shipped for the wheels so the $60 I paid is less than 10%. Strange...
What you paid and the value of what the importer stated can be different.
Old 03-21-12, 09:11 PM
ilovecycling

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You learn something new every day. Thanks guys!
Old 03-21-12, 10:47 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Welcome to my personal nightmare.

Old 03-21-12, 11:34 PM
LemondFanForeve
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've really liked Canyon bikes for awhile now, but they wont deliver to the US, so I was going to go through someone in the UK to send it to me via him. Problem is, I dont trust the bike getting to him, then to me w/o trouble(getting lost), or me having to pay almost the price of the bike upon delivery, so I can somewhat relate to your problem.
Old 03-21-12, 11:35 PM
vettracer

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Welcome to my personal nightmare.
Hey, at least hubs are duty free. Now if you could only get the Asia exporters to declare things accurately, it would be a breeze.
Old 03-22-12, 03:10 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got a set of Zipp wheels last summer from PBK and there were no extra charges.
Old 03-22-12, 05:04 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JimF22003
Got a set of Zipp wheels last summer from PBK and there were no extra charges.
It's all about how the shipper declares the product. Bike Parts will probably be free. Bike Accessories will be taxed. If it was labeled Bike Wheels it should be taxed.
Old 03-22-12, 07:31 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
ILC, you gave up on tubulars?
Old 03-22-12, 01:23 PM
ilovecycling

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColinL
ILC, you gave up on tubulars?
Nope. Just needed a nice clincher wheelset because having only one tubular wheelset is not a good idea. If I were to get a flat right before a club ride or something I'd be screwed considering it takes 3 days to glue on a tire.
Old 03-22-12, 02:17 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I ordered a DA crank from ribble or wiggle a few years ago and by the time I paid shipping and customs, I could have just bought it locally.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-22-12, 02:34 PM
ilovecycling

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I ordered a DA crank from ribble or wiggle a few years ago and by the time I paid shipping and customs, I could have just bought it locally.
Yeah, if it's close enough in price I'd rather buy it from a US seller because shipping and returns issues can suck when dealing with an international seller. However, the deal I got on these wheels was too good to care. My total for the wheelset after paying the $60 customs fee was $960, which is $290 less than the cheapest eBay seller.