Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Upsetting the balance, fit and comfort

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-12, 07:36 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts

I have noted that after riding around 40 or more miles on my bike that I start developing a great deal of neck pain from holding my head up. When I first started riding, I assumed it was something I needed to strengthen up to and dealt with it. After more time, and having other fit and comfort issues, I had a pro fitting done and bought a new saddle. Afterwards all the issues I had previously been having with my knees, legs, saddle comfort, went away. It was not until later that I noticed the neck pain hasn't gotten any better with continued riding.

I recognize that a leading factor in it is that I have a weak core and am supporting a great deal of my weight on my hands. During the fit process it was actually recommended that I try lowering my stem/bars in order to not only utilize more of my glutes, but also to alleviate some of the weight on my hands. The other recommendation was to go the other way, up and back a bit on the stem/bars but sacrificing a bit of handling and adding weight to my sit bones. The previous fit corrections had rectified my saddle issues, so basically it comes down to pain in my neck, or pain in my saddle and lower back.

I have searched quite a few threads here and have seen quite a bit of varied advice given on correcting similar issues. My considerations have been to:
Get a higher stem, like a 45*. This will change my handling to a bit less stability, and could certainly cause saddle issues to arise again.
Change handlebars to something larger in diameter in order to provide more surface area for my hands contact points, which I am unclear as to whether this will do what I want or not.
Consider changing frames to something with a more relaxed fit and geometry. I will have to start over on my fit parameters, and without long term test riding am uncertain as to whether it will cause a whole new bunch of issues with my legs, saddle, lower back, etc.

I have what could best be described as a "hybrid" fitting, IE I am not using any one particular system. It has started in one place, and ideas have been modified and tested in order to achieve what I needed. For instance, my saddle height and setback are determined by my "good" leg to eliminate IT band issues and lower back and hip pain. I have around low 30* knee flexion on that side, whereas my injuries require closer to 40* flexion on the other knee corrected with pylon length on my prosthesis. My legs don't come up equal distances during the pedal stroke, so being "tucked" and pedaling often results in my hips turning on the saddle.

My thoughts have been on the consideration of buying a new frame, a Roubaix, in the same relative size I am on now (a 58) and then dealing with the comfort issues through trial and error again until I get my legs, saddle, and then hopefully finding neck comfort from not having to crane so much. The cheaper option to that would be to create the higher handlebar height through a stem swap on the current bike, but mentioned what situations I think that may create above.

Given the level of experience on forum, I thought I might ask of you some advice in where I might consider finding relief for the neck issue, without creating new problems elsewhere.
Old 06-19-12, 09:02 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
I ride strange bikes, and am no expert on fit, but general thoughts:

1. With the complicated fit issues you have specific to your prosthesis, I would not jump to a different frame. You have everything dialed in except the neck issue, so why risk everything else on a crap shoot at the one. Besides, you love your F5. I remember the posts from when you got it.

2. Have you tried core exercises? The plank is your friend, and may have some impact.

3. How do you hold your head when you ride, and do you move hand positions and head position often? The only time I ride on the tops is when I want to stretch out my neck, and try to do opposite motions, like touch my chin to my chest, to stretch out my neck muscles.

4. Before you fart around with stems, simulate the different positions you are thinking about by bending elbows more, or sliding your hands back off the hoods. Ride til your neck is sore, then play around and see if a position makes it feel better.

Just thoughts. Discard at your leisure but good luck. I have odd fit from an ancient broken collar bone, so I know how odd some of the things get.
Old 06-19-12, 09:32 PM
bike56

Bikes: Trek 1200 Felt F3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may try a adjustable stem and double tape your bars,The pro's do it all the time.I have one bike with double tape,and like it a lot.Then try the adjustable stem"about 40$"and try infinite variations.It's a little work ,but is amazing how different a bike feels with minor adjustments,some good,some bad.Once I dial in the adjustable stem,I replace it with a permanent higher quality stem
Old 06-19-12, 09:35 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I don't think your core has anything to do with it. While the jury is still out, the importance of core strength is very likely overstated, and doing a bunch of core exercises improperly can harm your back.

I don't see the point in getting a Roubaix over this -- it's not like the fitter told you that your bike doesn't fit. The positions you can get on your bike are very similar to what an endurance bike offers, and you can improve overall comfort by switching to 25c tires with a slightly lower tire pressure.

I'd start by raising the bars. See if that helps your neck and affects saddle comfort. For all you know, it could work out fine with the new saddle.

If that doesn't work, talk to the fitter and give him feedback based on what you've done already.
Old 06-20-12, 04:59 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I've had a similar problem and solved it with neck strengthening excercises. Clasp your hands behind your head. Lean you neck forward, then apply pressure to the back of your head as you slowly straighten your neck. Do at least 10 reps 2-3 times a day and the problem may disappear in only a week or two. FWIW, I use a large 11cm saddle to bar drop.
Old 06-20-12, 05:36 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Roubaix is a great option OP. I built one this year and the tall head tube will increase handlebar height which transfers more weight from the hands to the saddle and your neck angle will be reduced for more comfort. My neck is really my achilles heel as well. Increase your saddle setback. Forget KOPS. Ride behind it. Core strength is overblown as discussed in the other thread. If you don't have the upper body strength and flexibility to endure a lower bar with increased neck extension, raise the handlebar and move the saddle back which will reduce your neck angle and take pressure off your hands which runs up your arms, into your traps and into your neck. I have tried every permutation of fit under the sun. Don't stop experimenting until you are comfortable. Fit is everything.
Good luck with your cycling.
Old 06-20-12, 05:49 PM
blargman

Bikes: Carbon Topstone 105(factory) Size XL, 2012 Specialized Secteur

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If he feels like the drop is too far and he's reaching out and has to look up too much, wouldn't putting the seat a bit close be easier on him? That way he can ride on the flats more comfortably as he'll be closer to the bar. I had this suggestion given to me today by my LBS would I said I felt like the bars were too low and far away. They suggested both an angled stem and putting the seat a bit closer.
Old 06-21-12, 04:52 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by blargman
If he feels like the drop is too far and he's reaching out and has to look up too much, wouldn't putting the seat a bit close be easier on him? That way he can ride on the flats more comfortably as he'll be closer to the bar. I had this suggestion given to me today by my LBS would I said I felt like the bars were too low and far away. They suggested both an angled stem and putting the seat a bit closer.
Not really. Reason why fit is so confusing is because it is a bit opposite of what you may think intuitively. For example...leading cause of neck pain?
Many believe its purely the angle of the neck and holding the head up for the duration of the ride. Yes neck angle is big. But so is tension up the arms. When arms are used as props to hold up torso weight because the body CG is too far forward, compression goes up the arms, into the shoulders and traps and tension goes right to the neck. So given the same neck angle, reducing compression in the arms by moving rider CG rearward will many times reduce neck pain even with the same bar position. Moving the saddle closer to the bar can have negative effect. Further, if the saddle is too close to the bar this can cause the arms to have more compression independent of rider CG. Reach should always be served no matter what bar height you ride. So the best two pronged approach for reducing neck pain and I have experimented with this for years is...a higher handlebar, an ample reach and not cramped to the bars and a fair amount of setback. That is my recipe. Further, I can ride for big miles in the drops with a higher handlebar and I like that position. I would say it is indeed a rare amateur rider...I know they are out there...that can ride as slammed as a top rider everybody wants to emulate. Yes there are average guys with extraordinary flexibility.
Old 06-21-12, 05:03 AM
hamster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to get neck pain and I also assumed that it was from holding the head up. The peculiar thing was that neck pain was non-symmetric and much more pronounced on the left side.

Pain went away after I got a rear-view mirror that mounted on my sunglasses.
Old 06-21-12, 05:11 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
If you want to try an adjustable stem, I will send you one for free. A salvage strore here had quite a few for about 3 bucks apiece. I bought 3 or 4. They are 1 1/8" fork x 31.8 clamp diameter x about 110 length. You could experimenet until you found a sweet spot then buy a good stem in that configuration. PM me if you want one. Other than that, I don't know what to say. You could end up chasing problems for a while.

Does your neck pain feel like muscular or joint pain?
Old 06-21-12, 12:16 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Hey Paul, I will have to check my bar and fork to be sure it will fit, but than nk that would be great.

I am very reluctant to start messing with the seat position in any way. It took me a while to get it right and don't want to go back to knee pain.